ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexicon MPX1 problems  (Read 13460 times)

Adam Kane

Lexicon MPX1 problems
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »

Tried searching but found nothing...

I've got two Lexicon MPX1's that have been giving me fits from day one.  Probably about every other time they're turned on, they won't start up all the way and I'll get nothing out of them.  Or, they'll turn on and work fine for a little while then freeze up, giving me a nice pink-noise kind of sound.  I then have to turn the unit off and back on again to get it working.

I like the sound of the FX but this is getting on my nerves.  Both units have been back to Lexicon, supposedly repaired.  I'm about ready to junk them...anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

adam

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Lexicon MPX1 problems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »

Drumrkane wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 13:30

I've got two Lexicon MPX1's that have been giving me fits from day one.  Probably about every other time they're turned on, they won't start up all the way and I'll get nothing out of them.  Or, they'll turn on and work fine for a little while then freeze up, giving me a nice pink-noise kind of sound.  I then have to turn the unit off and back on again to get it working.

I like the sound of the FX but this is getting on my nerves.  Both units have been back to Lexicon, supposedly repaired.  I'm about ready to junk them...anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Where are you using these effects?  HAve you metered your AC power -- during the show?

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Adam Kane

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »

The units are aux fed and run into stereo inputs on A&H GL4.  Power is fine...nothing else in the big rack-o-toys has ever had a problem.  When I returned the units the first time, Lexicon told me that they had a "bad run" of MPX1's and had to replace a couple of components.

The units are used in a large permantantly installed church system so no road rash.   Funny thing is, I've got a "B" unit that has proven more reliable than the Lexicons! (note I didn't say better sounding)

adam

Andy Peters

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:22:25 PM »

Drumrkane wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 09:08

The units are aux fed and run into stereo inputs on A&H GL4.  Power is fine...nothing else in the big rack-o-toys has ever had a problem.

"Power is fine."  That's an opinion based on what?

Did you meter your mains?

Other things working may mean that they are less sensitive to mains issues.

I'm not trying to be ornery here.

--a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

Adam Kane

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 09:51:21 AM »

It's not just an opinion...trust me...power is fine.  That's coming from an experienced electrician with advanced measurement equipment.  Maybe I should have elaborated in my first post.

Of course I measured the mains!  121.2 VAC, exactly 60hz, very low harmonics, no grounding issues, stable voltage under load, not to mention it all goes through a Furman voltage reg.  By rack-o-toys, I mean DBX, BSS, Shure, Audio Technica, other Lexicon equipment, and a handful of cd players/recorders, tape decks, and eq's...all of which have always performed flawlessly.

Not to be rude, but you should give someone the benefit of the doubt before assuming that someone doesn't have enough experience to check the power first.  

Thanks for your time just the same.

adam

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 12:02:24 PM »

My MPX1 froze up on me once shortly after I purchased it. Reason was over-heating. The unit was on the bottom of a 6-space rack under a (not very deep, maybe 10cm) Aphex EasyRider and then some other gear, but nothing which heats-up excessively and the room temperature was not over-heated either.

From then on, I left half a rackspace free above the MPX1 and everything is fine.

HTH, Thomas
Thomas Albenberger

Andy Peters

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 12:12:28 PM »

Drumrkane wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 07:51

It's not just an opinion...trust me...power is fine.  That's coming from an experienced electrician with advanced measurement equipment.  Maybe I should have elaborated in my first post.

Yes, you should have.  The reason I asked if you'd metered the power is because I've had instances of high or low mains voltage where most things worked but one piece didn't.

Quote:

Not to be rude, but you should give someone the benefit of the doubt before assuming that someone doesn't have enough experience to check the power first.

The cartoon says, "On the internet, nobody knows that you're a dog."  One could extend that to, "nobody knows that you're an electrician.  Or an engineer.  Or a drummer."

And the truth is that there are a lot of people who'd never think to meter the power.

-- a

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »

Drumrkane wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 09:51

Thanks for your time just the same.

adam
I beg to differ. It is not rude ot point out the obvious, where it may be misleading, or certainly incomplete to not make a suggestion because you assume the questioner has the same knowledge that you do. If we are all to assume that you know everything why bother responding at all. You made no reference to your knowledge of electrical power, nor to any testing you had done.

Mac Kerr

Tim Padrick

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:26:31 PM »

If may be a proximity problem: One of my two Sabine GRQ3102s sometimes failes to boot properly if it is on the bottom of the rack, immidiately atop my CD player.  (The other GRQ always boots ok when it is atop the CD player.)

Turn everything in the rack off, then power up one of the Lexis, and when it has finished booting power up the other, then when that's up, power up the rest of the gear.  If you still have troubles, I call Lexicon.  

Adam Kane

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 04:40:08 PM »

Andy and Mac,

In re-reading my earlier posts, I realize how I've come across and I apologize.  I know that it's one of those questions that begs to be asked.  As I said I should have elaborated a little more in my first post.  I was short on time, having a bad day, and got annoyed quickly when I checked back only to see that my statement regarding power was being questioned as to it's validity (understandably)...just one of those days and you happened to push the right button. Embarassed

Timmy and Thomas,

I tried powering the MPX1's up last several times in a row and everything seems to be fine (although they don't exactly have a regular "schedule").  I called Lexicon and the tech support guy told me that it's been a known problem with the model (both units were sent in 8 months ago...components replaced, same problems remain).  When I asked if there was anything that could be done to the units to remedy the problem, he told me the following:  (not kidding)  "No, not really."   Mad

I guess I'll have to work with powering those those up on their own until I get a small rack to stick them in by themselves...they're currently racked together between an EQ and comp.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone use another FX unit comparable to the Lexicon?

adam

Norbert Ruf

• http://www.laolu.faithweb.com
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 12:30:43 AM »

Hi all,
this not as a response to anybody personally, maybe rather to round things off a little.
The input power issue that stirred some temperaments here is not an issue at all, in my understanding of things. Reason: the MPX1 has a switching power supply that runs with anything between 100

Adam Kane

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 04:25:16 PM »

It's been a few months since this post last came to the top and I've had a few more glitches with the units.

I'll probably be recommending that the church buy other units so I'll ask the question once more just for the heck of it...has anyone used any other FX units with sound quality and features comparable to the MPX1?  I'd be very interested to hear personal experiences.

thanks

adam

Tom Reid

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 07:01:28 PM »

Drumrkane wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 15:25

It's been a few months since this post last came to the top and I've had a few more glitches with the units.

I'll probably be recommending that the church buy other units so I'll ask the question once more just for the heck of it...has anyone used any other FX units with sound quality and features comparable to the MPX1?  I'd be very interested to hear personal experiences.

thanks

adam

TC Electronics M300.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 10:10:14 PM »

I would say the TC m300 is not up to par with the Lexicon MPX1
It has decent effects but is not totally user selectable.(by this I mean the fine tuning/no display)  I wouldn't even say the mpx550 is, although it does sound nice.  I would personally go with a TC m2000, sells now for a little less the the MPX1 did new.  I own three of these so I am a little biased, but I used to have a MPX1 and enjoy the TC more.  The one thing I like best about the TC is that you can run 2 auxes in to 2 seperate effects and run stereo out.  If you are looking for another machine that still sounds good but is cheaper, I would go with the TC m-oneXL.  All in all you can go wrong with most new effect units in the $350 - $750 range.

[Edit] - Grammar

Tom Reid

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 11:32:12 PM »

thesuperspike wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 21:10

I would say the TC m300 is not up to par with the Lexicon MPX1
It has decent effects but is not totally user selectable.(by this I mean the fine tuning/no display)  I wouldn't even say the mpx550 is, although it does sound nice.  I would personally go with a TC m2000, sells now for a little less the the MPX1 did new.  I own three of these so I am a little biased, but I used to have a MPX1 and enjoy the TC more.  The one thing I like best about the TC is that you can run 2 auxes in to 2 seperate effects and run stereo out.  If you are looking for another machine that still sounds good but is cheaper, I would go with the TC m-oneXL.  All in all you can go wrong with most new effect units in the $350 - $750 range.

[Edit] - Grammar

The M300 has sound similar to the MPX1, as a matter of fact, some of the reverbs on the M300 are better then MPX1 presets to my ear.

As far as fine tuning, the unit provides analog knobs that will allow a more visual representation of settings.  All the values that you need to menu to are there on the knobs.

Tap delay, decent specs, SPDIF out.

It has memory presets to store any patch you can twiddle up.
It also is dual channel.  You can use 1 aux for reverb, one for multiFX, and they both come back to the same stereo return.
It can also be used as a stereo AD coverter, just send stereo to the inputs, and tap off the SPDIF output to digital.

It's just about the best damn $200 processor out there.
Yup, the m-one is a better unit at more money, and is more digital friendly if you're into that kind of thing.
I'd recommend the Fireworx too, if I think the guy had the bucks.

I've got a 550 in the same rack with the M300.  I like the 550 a lot, but I wouldn't get rid of the M300 for anything.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 09:05:14 AM »

Tom,
I never said I didn't like it.  It is fine for $200 dollars.  The settings on the front panel are BASIC and are fine for those who don't want/know how to change other settings.  Personally I use the Reverb time i.e. 1.9sec or whatever, and the m300 only has a knob for somwhere between min and max.  I was guessing that Adam wanted more than that, since they put the money into the Lexicons to begin with.
Adam:
check out this combo, TC m-oneXL and TC m2000, you could use the m1 for drum and inst. efx and the m2k could be a vox reverb and a vox delay.  If you only have the auxes/money for one, get the m2000.  You WILL be very pleased.
just a suggestion.

[Edit - Grammar]
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 15 queries.