ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Choices  (Read 12686 times)

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
Re: Sub Choices
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 09:49:59 PM »

Since you liked the USW-1 the best but need some attenuation, why dont you just go with a USW-1P outfitted with the "looping, polarity and attenuation" module? This is a optional card that goes into the amplifier section of the sub. I dont think it costs much more than the standard module when outfitted from the factory.
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Tony Grimwood

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 10:27:22 PM »

Quote:

The LS subs are designed to be used with a particular PS top cab; the LS400 with the PS8, LS500 with the PS10 and the LS1200 with the PS15. When used in this way they create excellent full range systems.

Its pretty awkward to use the different subs with the different top cabs.

Hi Simon,
FWIW, I've used LS1200 subs with PS10s (off a PS10 TD controller) with good results, and S2s with PS15s. In the latter case I used an NX241 controller - load 2.11 & onwards has the appropriate setup for PS15 & S2

Cheers,
Tony
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?

Randy

• http://RandyFocht.com
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 11:36:36 PM »

The Nexo LS400 are the lightest sub that I have seen. If it has a good sound, clear, rather than undefined, then it would be tops. I figure that my mains will only go 120 db (with Mackie 350's) or York NX550 125db, or Nexo LS10 127db, so 2 of the LS400 should be pretty decent.

Is this the right conclusion? Do you know how much the processor costs in US $dollars.

Will my QSC PLX2402 (450watts per channel into 8 ohms) be enough for 2 subs?

Are the LS400 subs 4 ohms or 8 ohms. I could run 8ohm subs in parallel and bridge the amp for 2400 watts at 4ohms.

Also sounds like the Nexo speakers 8" 10" and 15" are very good sounding speakers? Are they similar to the JBL MPRO soundwise?

Can anyone describe the sound of the LS400 sub?

Which is a better sub, the LS500 or JBL MPro MP418S (64 lbs, 4 ohms, 1200w program, goes to 40 Hz with max SPL of 135) ?

I appreciate your knowledge and help!

Don DeLong

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 12:23:24 AM »

Take a look at the KV2 Audio EX series subs.  They sound great, seem to be built very well, and are VERY loud for their size/weight.  

KV2 Audio:
http://www.kv2audio.com/ex_22.html

We recently had a demo rig with 2 EX10 mid-high packs and 2 EX2.2 subs and they were enough for the ~400 people audience at the "C" stage at a festival we recently did.  Besides haveing to contend with spill from the other 2 stages, the "C" stage was directly under a major highway bridge with 4 lanes of heavy traffic.  Even outdoors on a warm, sunny day, the passively cooled amp never so much as hinted at being stressed.

Hope this helps,
Don

Punctuated by the limitless possibilites of hickory smoked bacon!

Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems, Inc.
Peoria, IL  
(309) 691-7105

Randy

• http://RandyFocht.com
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 02:37:08 AM »

I always appreciate your recommendations.

I checked out the site and am reading all the info on the site about the subs.

I've heard other people recommend this sub too.

How is the lighter ES 1.5 61 lb version?

That would be alot easier on my back. ha! My back is damaged from someone rearending my van accident.

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 06:48:50 AM »

Tony Grimwood wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 03:27

Hi Simon,
FWIW, I've used LS1200 subs with PS10s (off a PS10 TD controller) with good results, and S2s with PS15s. In the latter case I used an NX241 controller - load 2.11 & onwards has the appropriate setup for PS15 & S2

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes I`ve heard that people have used the sub outputs of the different Nexo controllers with subs that arent Nexo with good results.

One thing to bear in mind is that using an LS1200 with Ps10`s and a PS10TD is fairly safe, but the controller would limit early, thinking it had an LS500 connected, so you wouldnt be using the sub to its full advantage.  It is unlikely damage would occur in this situation as the LS1200 can take way more juice than the LS500.

If it was the other way round, using an LS400 with Ps10`s and a Ps10TD, this is not such a good idea as the controller will again think it has an LS500 connected when in reality it would be an LS400 - which cant take as much power.  So there would be a risk of blowing the LS400.

I am aware that with the NX241 and NX242 that you can use S2`s with PS15`s - I have Ps15`s and an NX242 and was going to get some S2`s but decided to go for the LS1200`s.

The answer would be for Nexo to program some presets in their NX242 for using different PS and LS cabs - then the limiting and dynamic EQ would be working properly for the cab.

I personally would not like to use the LS400 with the PS10`s and PS10TD as it is simply not designed to do this.  It would also invalidate the warranty of the LS400`s by using them with the PS10TD.

Simon

Tony Grimwood

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 08:22:22 PM »

Hi Simon.
This is all pretty much common sense. I know that Nexo have a "to do" list of setups for the NX241/242, and I don't think we can expect to see any patches for different PS & LS combinations anytime soon. Nexo probably would not sanction the mixing of different PS & LS devices, certainly in the case of the PS10/LS400 scenario you mention.

Randy:
Some LS400 specs
Freq. Response  43 - 120Hz +/- 3dB
Sensitivity     99dB SPL nominal, 1W @ 1m
Crossover freq. (PS8 controller) 120Hz active
Nominal impedance 6 ohms

Recommended amplifier power 300 - 700W into 4 ohms

Cheers,
Tony

Disclaimer:
I handle tech support for the New Zealand Nexo distributor. Any opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect Nexo policy, nor am I authorised to speak here on their behalf.

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 08:34:47 PM »

Hi Tony,

Yeh common sense to you and me, but not to people who dont know Nexo.

My post wasnt really aimed at you even though it may have looked like it - I know that you know what your on about from reading the Camco Vortex posts a while ago.

Just wanted to make sure no-one buys the wrong sub for the top cab thinking it would be OK when it essentially isnt.

Cheers

Simon

Tony Grimwood

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 08:44:05 PM »

Hi Simon,
I didn't imagine any offence at all from your post, and I agree that it's a good thing to let others know that all LS series subs are not necessarily interchangeable. Some things you can get away with and use to your advantage occasionally but, as always, it pays to know your gear.  Smile

cheers now,

Tony

Mikael Holm (the old one)

• http://Mikael Holm
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 01:24:09 AM »

Randy wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 06:36

Will my QSC PLX2402 (450watts per channel into 8 ohms) be enough for 2 subs?

Are the LS400 subs 4 ohms or 8 ohms. I could run 8ohm subs in parallel and bridge the amp for 2400 watts at 4ohms.

In the first place you should take a loot at Nexo's website.

LS400 is 6ohm and PLX2402 run in stereo/parallel mode will be enough. One thing to remember is that PS8TD is stereo on the tops but mono on subs.

Quote:

Also sounds like the Nexo speakers 8" 10" and 15" are very good sounding speakers? Are they similar to the JBL MPRO soundwise?

Nexo is in totally different league. In the States i believe PS15 to cost 3-4 times or even more compared to MPro 415.

Miffe, gearslut, independent sound engineer, small business owner

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 01:24:09 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.