ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless lavalier mic recommendations?  (Read 19773 times)

Kent Thompson

Re: Wireless lavalier mic recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »

We Have a very loud singer that can really belt it out and he has yet to clip the e6 microphone. Not even when our pastor screams does his clip on him. I can't see a human voice clipping one or rather I would hate to have to listen to a voice that would lol... would not even need amplification on that voice.

We started using invisible medical tape to keep the microphones in place better.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:46:40 PM by Kent Thompson »

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

The E6 was mentioned earlier, so I thought I should share my experience with it.I have heard a number of amateurs do it.  I guess this is because the pros have more control over their voice (and don't have to try as hard to hit those high notes), so you can set the correct gain structure easier.   I will say the times it happened to me, their voices from their mouths was louder than their signal through the speakers -so sounded fine during the performance, not so much in the recording.

I would question whether the mic clipped or the wireless transmitter clipped. How do you tell the difference?

chuck clark

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »

Thanks guys! Some interesting bits of info. I'm afraid countryman and dpa are out of budget. They are limited to
400-600 per unit for BOTH mic/transmitter and receiver units. As I mentioned they are currently happy with their Shure PGX sm 58 handhelds. I'm hoping the Shure lavalier mic for these isn't to cheesy sounding! Thanks again!
Chuck
PS: Where does one puchase this invisible medical tape?

Kent Thompson

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Grocery store in the isle with the bandaids.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »

Looking around, this AT mic's got a bunch of good reviews on BH Photo's website.  I haven't used it myself, but AT's never let me down. 

chuck clark

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »

Thanks Taylor!  I had run into some 200 series freeway AT units that were fairly bad. Lots of dropouts and the more units you try to run at the same time the more interference you got, but apparently, the 700 series is markedly better. Nice to know since the receiver strongly resembles the 200 series.
Chuck

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

Grocery store in the isle with the bandaids.

Kent....

That would be a isle, not the isle. ;)
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »

I'm being asked to recommend a decent good sounding cost effective wireless lavalier mic for a church group that is doing plays and the actors also sing! Help!
Currently having pretty good results with mid grade PGX handhelds, with true diversity and 58 elements but need help picking a lavalier.  Wondering if akg or audio- technica are significantly better than Shure at around $500. Looking for best buy type as the budget is limited but do'nt want to waste $$$ on something that sounds clunky on the dvd compared to the 58's.  Thanks!

Silly question perhaps but...Are you trying to add additional channels of wireless because you need to use the handhelds that you already have and the beltpacks at the same time?
If not, I would suggest you get PGX packs for your current PGX systems and get good mics with them.  A PGX1 belt pack is less than $200.00 so you'd have enough left (almost) to get an E6 (in reduced sensitivity).  They even have a double ear attachment now.  I have not used it so can't compare to the DPA (which is my favorite).

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »

Kent....

That would be a isle, not the isle. ;)
gahhhh!!!

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

I've used mid-level systems (around the $500 mark for both transmitter/receiver and mic) from Sennheiser and A-T and they sounded good and worked fine. Never used the Line 6 stuff, but it's gotten many good reviews from users here so I'd consider it too.

I have used and don't like the low end Shure wireless (PG and PGX). The components feel cheap, break easy, and they aren't as versatile as similarly priced products from the other brands mentioned.

I'd look at systems on this page as a starting place (not affiliated with B&H, they just have a wide selection of systems to look at), and wouldn't consider anything under $300, or that are the very most entry level model. You get what you pay for with wireless equipment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=15708&N=4290441573+4291606550+4291365553+4291226455+4293345066+4290476754

Other things to think about before buying:

-You might look at a wireless finder online to see which TV stations are in you're area to help pick out the band of wireless with the most free frequencies. If you buy a new system that isn't Shure PG it will need to be on a different band than what you already have too.
-Most brands sell many of the same model with different mic polar patterns, so check to make sure the system you're buying has the pattern you want (omni-directional and cardioid are the most common).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.