ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless lavalier mic recommendations?  (Read 19508 times)

chuck clark

Wireless lavalier mic recommendations?
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »

I'm being asked to recommend a decent good sounding cost effective wireless lavalier mic for a church group that is doing plays and the actors also sing! Help!
Currently having pretty good results with mid grade PGX handhelds, with true diversity and 58 elements but need help picking a lavalier.  Wondering if akg or audio- technica are significantly better than Shure at around $500. Looking for best buy type as the budget is limited but do'nt want to waste $$$ on something that sounds clunky on the dvd compared to the 58's.  Thanks!

Kent Thompson

Re: Wireless lavalier mic recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:25 AM »

as far as the microphone element, countryman makes a good one. On the wireless unit don't go cheap you will regret that if you do. Spend your money on the wireless and use whatever is left for a microphone. You can always upgrade the microphone later if funds are limited.

John Fiorello

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »

Hi Chuck!

Are you looking for transmitters AND mic to be less than $500, or just the mic?

Thanks!

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »

Just be aware that depending upon the room and the available equipment, you may be disappointed.  In our room, normally placed omni lavaliers have terrible gain-before-feedback and are thus useless without significant parametric EQ (which does not do the sound any good).  We tried cardiod lavs but hated the sound.  We get very good performance from the omni E6 and MicrophoneMadness hearsets.  (We have not tried omni lavs mounted at the hairline, which a friend likes very much.)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »

I'm being asked to recommend a decent good sounding cost effective wireless lavalier mic for a church group that is doing plays and the actors also sing! Help!
Currently having pretty good results with mid grade PGX handhelds, with true diversity and 58 elements but need help picking a lavalier.  Wondering if akg or audio- technica are significantly better than Shure at around $500. Looking for best buy type as the budget is limited but do'nt want to waste $$$ on something that sounds clunky on the dvd compared to the 58's.  Thanks!

It sounds from your post like you are looking for the complete system, microphone, transmitter, and receiver, for $500. At that price most of the replies so far are out of your ballpark.

A lav is never going to compare favorably with a handheld mic used as a handheld. You are not going to get as much gain before feedback, nor are you going to get as full a sound. If you can get people to wear a headset type mic you have a much better chance. There are several budget headset mics that have gotten favorable reviews around here.

For the transmitter/receiver part, the Line6 systems are in the under $500 range, and were well received in the Road Test done in these forums. If you have a lot of 2.4GHz WiFi in the venue, they may interfere with it, but they are apparently pretty immune to interference from the WiFi.

Mac

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »

Audio-Technica's never let me down.  Haven't used AKG wireless.  A lot of people seem to think Sennheiser outdoes Shure for the same price.  For actors that sing, I think you do want lavs instead of headsets.  The headset mics are bit too much to see for a drama.  The E6 is a fine mic for talking, but it seems like they clip too quick when used on vocalist when they belt out, though they still might be my choice for this.  What you could do is use the E6s for the speaking parts, but turn them off and use your SM58s for leads and zone mics for backing during the musical numbers. 

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Headset mics
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »

The headset mics are bit too much to see for a drama.  The E6 is a fine mic for talking, but it seems like they clip too quick when used on vocalist when they belt out, though they still might be my choice for this.  What you could do is use the E6s for the speaking parts, but turn them off and use your SM58s for leads and zone mics for backing during the musical numbers.

Headset mic does not equal E6. Countyman was the first on the market, and became the market leader because of it, but they are not a good alternative in my experience. A mic with a full behind the head band will be much easier to keep in place. It is also important to get proper placement with headset mics, and that is not in front of the singer's mouth. I have not heard a professional singer clip an E6 while belting. If the mic is in front of the mouth however it will be killed by wind noise from breathing. It is much more likely to overload the input to the transmitter by not setting the input gain correctly.

The best alternative (best sounding, best mounting) would be the DPA 4066, but that mic alone is way over the OP's budget for what seems to be the whole system. There are other alternatives at a more reasonable price for budget applications.

Using lavs in a theatrical application requires skill in system design and setup, mixing, and mic mounting. In a volunteer situation it is unlikely these will all be met. Head worn mics will help get the skill set down to mixing.

Mac
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:53:43 PM by Mac Kerr »

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »

Headset mic does not equal E6.
I was thinking of the Britney Spears/Jonas Brothers type headset mic when I said I think they would be too much to see for drama - not the earworn type like the E6.  Probably should have put a line between there.  The E6 was mentioned earlier, so I thought I should share my experience with it.
I have not heard a professional singer clip an E6 while belting.
I have heard a number of amateurs do it.  I guess this is because the pros have more control over their voice (and don't have to try as hard to hit those high notes), so you can set the correct gain structure easier.   I will say the times it happened to me, their voices from their mouths was louder than their signal through the speakers -so sounded fine during the performance, not so much in the recording. 

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Earsets
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »

I have heard a number of amateurs do it.  I guess this is because the pros have more control over their voice (and don't have to try as hard to hit those high notes), so you can set the correct gain structure easier.   I will say the times it happened to me, their voices from their mouths was louder than their signal through the speakers -so sounded fine during the performance, not so much in the recording.

Are you sure it was the mic, and not the input to the transmitter? Even the highest sensitivity version can take 120dB, and there are 2 lower sensitivity versions with 130dB and 140dB capability available. Placement of any of the mics that mount right behind the mouth is very important. The front of the mic element shouldn't be any closer to the corner of the mouth than about 1/2" to an inch. It should be fitted to lay snugly against the face.

The problem with earsets that only mount on one ear is keeping them in position. Even the DPA 4066 with the full headband can move around during dance sections. When the mic is that close to the source even a very small difference in position can make a very large difference in performance.

Mac

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »

Are you sure it was the mic, and not the input to the transmitter?
You may be right.  Would that sound different that clipping at the board?  I don't have those recordings anymore, but can listen for any difference in the future.  Anyway, I usually try to use some clear medical tape to keep the mics in place.  Don't know how well it work with a whole lot of moving around, though.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »

We Have a very loud singer that can really belt it out and he has yet to clip the e6 microphone. Not even when our pastor screams does his clip on him. I can't see a human voice clipping one or rather I would hate to have to listen to a voice that would lol... would not even need amplification on that voice.

We started using invisible medical tape to keep the microphones in place better.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:46:40 PM by Kent Thompson »

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

The E6 was mentioned earlier, so I thought I should share my experience with it.I have heard a number of amateurs do it.  I guess this is because the pros have more control over their voice (and don't have to try as hard to hit those high notes), so you can set the correct gain structure easier.   I will say the times it happened to me, their voices from their mouths was louder than their signal through the speakers -so sounded fine during the performance, not so much in the recording.

I would question whether the mic clipped or the wireless transmitter clipped. How do you tell the difference?

chuck clark

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »

Thanks guys! Some interesting bits of info. I'm afraid countryman and dpa are out of budget. They are limited to
400-600 per unit for BOTH mic/transmitter and receiver units. As I mentioned they are currently happy with their Shure PGX sm 58 handhelds. I'm hoping the Shure lavalier mic for these isn't to cheesy sounding! Thanks again!
Chuck
PS: Where does one puchase this invisible medical tape?

Kent Thompson

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Grocery store in the isle with the bandaids.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »

Looking around, this AT mic's got a bunch of good reviews on BH Photo's website.  I haven't used it myself, but AT's never let me down. 

chuck clark

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »

Thanks Taylor!  I had run into some 200 series freeway AT units that were fairly bad. Lots of dropouts and the more units you try to run at the same time the more interference you got, but apparently, the 700 series is markedly better. Nice to know since the receiver strongly resembles the 200 series.
Chuck

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

Grocery store in the isle with the bandaids.

Kent....

That would be a isle, not the isle. ;)
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »

Silly question perhaps but...Are you trying to add additional channels of wireless because you need to use the handhelds that you already have and the beltpacks at the same time?
If not, I would suggest you get PGX packs for your current PGX systems and get good mics with them.  A PGX1 belt pack is less than $200.00 so you'd have enough left (almost) to get an E6 (in reduced sensitivity).  They even have a double ear attachment now.  I have not used it so can't compare to the DPA (which is my favorite).

His,
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »

Kent....

That would be a isle, not the isle. ;)
gahhhh!!!

ThomasKielhofner

• Springfield, MO
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

I've used mid-level systems (around the $500 mark for both transmitter/receiver and mic) from Sennheiser and A-T and they sounded good and worked fine. Never used the Line 6 stuff, but it's gotten many good reviews from users here so I'd consider it too.

I have used and don't like the low end Shure wireless (PG and PGX). The components feel cheap, break easy, and they aren't as versatile as similarly priced products from the other brands mentioned.

I'd look at systems on this page as a starting place (not affiliated with B&H, they just have a wide selection of systems to look at), and wouldn't consider anything under $300, or that are the very most entry level model. You get what you pay for with wireless equipment.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=15708&N=4290441573+4291606550+4291365553+4291226455+4293345066+4290476754

Other things to think about before buying:

-You might look at a wireless finder online to see which TV stations are in you're area to help pick out the band of wireless with the most free frequencies. If you buy a new system that isn't Shure PG it will need to be on a different band than what you already have too.
-Most brands sell many of the same model with different mic polar patterns, so check to make sure the system you're buying has the pattern you want (omni-directional and cardioid are the most common).

Steve.Long

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »

Personally, I think the low end shure (PGX) & AT stuff are toy-like, but I like the AT 3000 series & higher, and I love the sennheiser evolution series. An AT 3000 series lav or hh can be found for around $350 at Alpha Sound & Lighting. The sennheiser costs a bit more - would be worth it if used weekly - but perhaps not as an occasional drama mic.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »

If you work at it you can buy a Audio Technica ATW-3110BD transmitter and receiver for $310 new (Ebay buy it now)  And a Microphone madness Dual Earset Microphone for $115.  http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmdpsm1.htm

You will have good sound.
Not to Code

David Kaiser

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »

I own several of the AT 892 headset mics. They worked just fine for a High School musical that I provided wireless mics for. I also used Countryman E6 and OSP HS-06 headsets and they worked well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.