ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Full range cabs vs. 4 way active, please help  (Read 6397 times)

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
Re: Full range cabs vs. 4 way active, please help
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 11:31:18 AM »

Wayne Rimkus wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 17:56

A lot of gear, all VERY heavy, all pro quality but "old school"  - sounds good,  but should I just go with a couple high power full range cabs?  Nobody has given me a straight answer on this.

Wayne

So... Did we give you a straight answer, or not?  Very Happy  

Just remember to ask: what's the most important thing for you? We are always balancing performance against both cost and mobility in this biz.
Otherwise, there would've been no need to to leave the venerable A7 and Northwest JBL boxes behind.. we could still use them today Razz

Good Luck on your endeavors, and may your kid's band do well..
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Tim Padrick

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 10:35:06 PM »

According to the 2123H spec sheet I am now looking at, the driver has a usable response of 80Hz to 6kHz, the efficiancy is measured from 100Hz to 2500Hz, and it is +/- 2 dB from 200Hz to 5000Hz, with a highest recommended XO of 3kHz.

I am going to guess that the lowest reasonable XO on the 1" is about 1500Hz, but I think higher may be better.

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 03:55:03 AM »

Take a look at the 2123 data. They show the response in a .25 cubic foot sealed box. Low end starts dropping gracefully at 300Hz, and is 10dB down at 80Hz. HF goes out to 5KHz, and drops like a rock. Highest recommended use is to 3Khz. The 10" cones get pretty "beamy" above that freqency. The term "brain dart" comes to mind.

I see no problem using the 2x10's right on top of the C-V's, at the same 150Hz crossover point. Run them up to about 2Khz or so.

The 2410 is rated at 30 watts when crossed over at 800Hz. Starting them at 2Khz should improve power handling considerably. Run these up to 6Khz, as that's a nice point to bring in the 2405's.

I have used 2405's from 6Khz up, but it was over a 2482, which is a 2" mid driver rated from 300Hz to 8Khz, IIRC. FWIW, I really love(d) the old JBL Slotz. How sweet they were.

In my experience, this should be a good sounding system. The biggest issue in losing the HD15 cabs is probably stack height. You need something to get the HF up in the air, like say an amp rack or road case or something.

Ahhh...the good old days!

Ballpark figure for a modern 2-box per side, active 2-way rig (I'd recommend a pair each of EAW LA325 and LA400) and the power to drive it (all the amps you have are too small for this kind of thing) would be about $8K.

Spending less would give less performance, but offer higher portability.

If you can tweak out good sound from a rig like the one you descibe, a 4-box EAW LA rig would be childs play. The stuff you have was pretty dreamy in it's day, but I doubt it has much resale value in todays market.

For shits & giggles, I'd just get some Crown PSA2's, BGW 750's and Blaze...I mean Phase Linear 700's and make it a true "period piece". ...Don't forget the 2-pole Hubbell twist-locks. Recessed males in the amp rack panels and speaker cabinets, and females on BOTH ENDS of the speaker cables.

Stop me! I am just being silly now!

Ahh...the good old days
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

RobertOziemkowski

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 12:43:10 AM »

AnotherDave wrote on Thu, 22 July 2004 08:55

FWIW, I really love(d) the old JBL Slotz. How sweet they were.

Stop me! I am just being silly now!

Ahh...the good old days

I remember the first time I passed under one of NYCs new fangled traffic sensors back in 70 or so(tick, tick , tick).

Soon after they installed them lots of bands had JBL slots, although many traffic lights no longer worker. Rolling Eyes

Ever have a "tube"?

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 10:08:12 AM »

RobertO wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 05:43

Ever have a "tube"?

Yup, had a pair of them myself. Interesting concept, but didn't quite deliver, IMO. Interesting way to resurrect the Karlson coupler..  Very Happy Made a lot of people come up and ask what the wierd looking thing wuz..  Rolling Eyes
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.