ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LABsub v3.0 Web Page  (Read 10003 times)

Vince Byrne

Re: Initial Indoor Measurements
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 08:54:31 AM »

raj wrote on Sat, 12 June 2004 00:16

These Runts seem to be compact and powerful,
would you recomend their use with Lab Subs in outdoor events,they would save a lot of space , I had enquired reg their Xover freq to see if they were usable here

Is there a dealer in India ?

Look at SPL-td1. Runts are great sounding, but td1 is much more versatile as a general purpose box.

http://www.soundphysics.com/SPL-td1.html

Since this doesn't deal with the LAB Sub but with commercial full range boxes and dealers for SPL, you might consider posting this on the Sound Physics Labs message board.

http://spl-servodrive.prosoundweb.com/

Peace,
Vince <><

raj

• http://-
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2004, 02:41:16 AM »

Hi Mark,
"Xover frequency of the Runt is where it should be"
this is a rather sirky remark from a person at your position , most companies mention it in the specifications of their products, any way I would like to know , as the mid and high are in the same horn , how will the results be regarding feedback  problems during miking ?. Would recomend them for touring sound operators ?.
RL

Mark Seaton

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »

raj wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 01:41

Hi Mark,
"Xover frequency of the Runt is where it should be"
this is a rather sirky remark from a person at your position , most companies mention it in the specifications of their products, any way I would like to know , as the mid and high are in the same horn , how will the results be regarding feedback  problems during miking ?. Would recomend them for touring sound operators ?.

Hi raj,

The remark was made in a somewhat sarcastic manner as most who ask what the crossover point is are quick to make assumptions based on this very vague and non-descript specification.  Also the runt is a passive-only speaker.  I will have to double check with Tom Danley, but I recall the point of crossing, or point of equal output from the pair of 8" drivers and the 1", to be about 1kHz, possibly a little lower.

Just like all of our speakers employing the Unity Technology (or more formally the Unity Summation Aperture), the drivers behave acoustically as a single source through the crossover region.  Since all sound exits from the same horn, the common lobes found off axis of many mulit-way boxes are eliminated.  Such lobing is a common cluprit of feedback in systems, and the absence of them does indeed increase gain before feeback over a much larger range of use.  I would certainly recommend the runts for use anywhere their output and coverage capabilities fit the need.

The runt is not an SPL monster.  It has very significant directivity for its size, and most are very suprised as to the useful loudness of the box, especially above 80-150Hz.  They work phenomenally well for smaller spaces, corporate work, front fills, and with proper aiming, even as monitors where strong bass output is not needed.

Everyone's concept of "keeping up with" is different, but if you have a good bit of power available for the subs and are using 4 or more, td1s are an optimal match with the LABsub.  With 2-3 per side, and for many moderate size applications, I feel triktraps with more power on the tops than the subs is a good balance.  Again, everyone has to determine how much headroom, output, and coverage they want/need.  My favorite demo to is still the combo of B-DEAP-32s with runts.  Proper setting of the crossover and delay makes this a setup that tends to re-set users expectations of what they really "need."

Feel free to come on over to our forum or e-mail/PM me directly if you have any further questions.  At the present time we do not have a distributor for India, but will do our best to accomidate any demand.

Cheers,
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Marty Bilecki

• http://www.performancesound.com
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 12:49:55 AM »

Raj  I think he was just kidding around
 Martin J. Bilecki
 Performance Recording and Sound
 Orland Hills,Il. U.S.of A.
  WWW.PerformanceSound.com

Bada Bing    Bada Boom...  
 Sumptin Blowed up real Good!!!!!!

raj

• http://-
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 01:23:27 AM »

Thanks Mark,
I will get in touch with you ,
reg the Xover freq of the runt,s , looking at the power handling & a 1" hf driver I think it would above 2500hz lets see what Tom Danley tells us.

Cheers
RL

Mark Seaton

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 12:32:57 PM »

raj wrote on Wed, 16 June 2004 00:23

Thanks Mark,
I will get in touch with you ,
reg the Xover freq of the runt,s , looking at the power handling & a 1" hf driver I think it would above 2500hz lets see what Tom Danley tells us.

Cheers

Actually I am nearly certain it is between 800-1kHz, depending on how you define it.  More likely closer to 1kHz.  Your presumption above is exactly why I was coy in responding.  It is indeed easier with the crossover design to cross over at 2500Hz, and there are other reasons dependent on the horn being used.  To keep this in perspective, remember that we do have a rather large 24" wide horn loading the 1", so gains in directivity provide plenty of output.  By comparison, the SPL-td1 crosses into the 1" compression driver at 1200Hz, and we have yet to find the compression driver to hinder its output (again remembering it has a huge horn loading it).  The BMS driver in the runt is a little more powerful down low than the B&C in the td1, which helps further.  Every speaker has limits, and the runt isn't going to do 130dB@1m, but that was never the goal.

Cheers,
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.