ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array doing what it was intended for  (Read 5176 times)

Phil Ouellette

Line array doing what it was intended for
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:08:56 PM »

Had the pleasure of hearing a vDosc line array really deliver in a tough acoustic space when 3rd Day played at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, SC last night.

The Bi-Lo center is a hockey arena and I have had the misfortune of hearing several concerts in that venue with very poor quality sound prior to this. In each of the prior events traditional speaker cluster hangs were used and in each case coverage was very uneven with lots of mushy sound (this is an extremely reverberant space).

8th Day Sound provided a vDosc system with a 10 box hang, 5 box hang side fills, plus 8 subs per side. The coverage was extremely even throughout the arena. Even the nose bleed seats got crystal clear vocals and tons of bass. The system had a bit of a harsh response around 3K during the opening acts (W. Barfield and Tobe Mac), but by the time 3rd day took the stage this was under control and from there on, it was clear, powerful sound.

I was very impressed by how well the vDosc worked in that space. I have never heard anybody sound that good in that venue before.  The subs sounded a bit flabby during soundcheck, but once the crowd got in things tightened up nicely and they really pounded.  I couldn't get over how crisp the vocals were all night longs also.

The lighting/video production associated with the show was also fun and interesting and really supported what was happening musically.

Kudos to everyone involved in the production, with special thanks to Doug Fowler for taking time out from what was a very long day to show me around.
That's "newbiesque" to my friends.

Robert McTigue

Re: Line array doing what it was intended for
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:07:37 PM »

Nice when a kick butt system is setup right.
Robert McTigue
Audio Engineer

Doug Fowler

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:54:30 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, Phil.  It's always nice to put a face with a name.

V-DOSC works, no doubt about it.  The spreadsheet is an accurate indicator of coverage, although using the laser built into the top box of each hang to see where the top of coverage actually is gets it dialed in just right.

thanks again....
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

John Burkhalter

• http://www.phantomaudio.net
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 10:52:24 AM »

Wow! this brings up a blast from the past..
I was the original installer of the house sound system at the Bi-Lo center. The rig consisted of all JBL components, but happens to also be a 70 volt system on all the low/mid/high. (see large cabinets of transformers in the catwalk.) Subs were 8ohm.. If anyone is curious about specifics, let me know and i'll see if I can dredge up old paperwork..
Back when I installed it, it sounded fantastic- It was designed and tuned up by consultants Coffeen and Fricke.. If I remember correctly, this was back in 97/98. I've heard that since then there have been a lot of components going bad or what not, and now its just horrible. 'Tis a shame.
Glad to hear that the vDosc rig did so well. Had it been some years later, that probably would have been the ideal rig to install there.
A couple of years later I was down there visiting and I caught the Moody Blues concert with the Greenville symphony and it was traditional clusters (unknown brand) and it just sounded horrible. If I remember, there was a lot of 200-300hz overpowering everything. You could even see it on the FOH techs RTA..  Was a shame because it was such an elaborate show too.

FWIW..

John
Ronco Specialized Systems

Charles Johnson

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 03:44:42 PM »

Quote:

although using the laser built into the top box of each hang to see where the top of coverage actually is gets it dialed in just right.

Doug,

Yep - it's hard to imagine trying to aim those arrays (particularly the stratospheric side hangs Wink) without having a laser on the top box. I suppose you could hang a caving ladder behind the array and climb up to eyeball where the top box is hitting, but that would get old after a very short while and it would require 2 people to aim the array - one up top and the other down below operating the pickle.

Actually seeing the laser/inclinometer unit is one of the key things I came away from the show wishing I'd been able to see, but then I probably should have just asked you, since I'm sure you had a spare sitting in a case down on the deck Wink So shame on me!

Hope the tour is going well! Cheers!

Charles Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 17 queries.