ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Choir Mic Buzzing???  (Read 5249 times)

Mike Yates

Shure Choir Mic Buzzing???
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

I have a problem that is really aggravating!
One on the choir mic in the church gets a buzz in it at random. It comes and it goes....
It is a shure condenser and has phantom power. The mic is mounted in the ceiling and has about a 75 to 85 foot cable run. The mic has been here for about 20 years and I have never had proplems with it before but now its going crazy.... Can anyone tell me what is going on with it???

Thanks

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Shure Choir Mic Buzzing???
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »

I have a problem that is really aggravating!
One on the choir mic in the church gets a buzz in it at random. It comes and it goes....
It is a shure condenser and has phantom power. The mic is mounted in the ceiling and has about a 75 to 85 foot cable run. The mic has been here for about 20 years and I have never had proplems with it before but now its going crazy.... Can anyone tell me what is going on with it???

Thanks

No one can tell you what is going on. One can offer a few things to check out, however.

Check and see if any new equipment has been installed anywhere near the worship space. It is possible that something may be plugged into the same power you are using for your system and perhaps it cycles on-off or is used sporadically and this may be introducing noise. This could be production related equipment (sound, lights, projection, new stage amp, etc) or something completely unrelated to production.

Aside from that, your best bet is meticulous troubleshooting. Check the mic to make sure nothing has come loose. Plug the mic into a different channel and see if it acts the same. Swap the mic for another one. Etc.

By going through everything and keeping track you can eliminate a whole bunch of things and end up with what the culprit is.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

DonSneed

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »

Do as Tom said, power of elimnation, possibly RF is trying to get in, a 20-yr mic hummmm, I would try moving the cable off any metal such as the drop ceiling grid, this can act as an antenna, also try unplugging the XLR connector from the hanging mic (there is an XLR connector on a 25-30') cable attached to the mic. find this connector & unplug, plug back in, do this a few times to clean the connector from any corrosion that may have gotten on the pins, althrough you will not be able to see the corrosion, believe me its there....this too sometimes will make the noise go away, usually pin #1 shield is at fault, sometime works sometime not, just remember any connection in the chain could be at fault, a connection is the weakest link.... IF it is RF....you can install a Shure RF Filter in line with the mic.....if really bad you will have to run a high grade shielded mic cable such as Canare Quad, and/or install a Shure RF Filter.....good luck on your mission.....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.