ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Popping Sound  (Read 6560 times)

Nigel Briggs

Mic Popping Sound
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »

i have a restaurant with a mic at the hostess stand. The mic feeds a DBX ZonePro 640M Zone Controller. When the mic button is depressed it makes a noticeable "pop" sound before the musics "ducks" and then "pops" again as the mic button is released. I have changed mics, cables etc. I have also setup a test lab at my office and the same situation occurs. What am I doing wrong?

Jordan Wolf

Re: Mic Popping Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:15 PM »

When the mic button is depressed it makes a noticeable "pop" sound before the musics "ducks" and then "pops" again as the mic button is released.
It sounds like the switch is shorting or opening the line, instead of shunting it to ground - this can cause popping (usually when using a condenser mic).

If the original microphone is a condenser, can you try using a dynamic mic instead?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Nigel Briggs

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »

It sounds like the switch is shorting or opening the line, instead of shunting it to ground - this can cause popping (usually when using a condenser mic).

If the original microphone is a condenser, can you try using a dynamic mic instead?

Thanks Jordan. The original mic is a dynamic mic (essentially a CB mic). I have another dynamic mic (desktop mic) and it does the same thing. Both mics are from the same company (Speco). Could it be they are of a very poor quality?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:57:51 AM »

Thanks Jordan. The original mic is a dynamic mic (essentially a CB mic). I have another dynamic mic (desktop mic) and it does the same thing. Both mics are from the same company (Speco). Could it be they are of a very poor quality?
I am not familiar with that brand, but that doesn't mean they are "poor quality".

If there is the ability to plug in a mic with an XLR jack, I would try a stage type handheld with a built-in switch (SM58, for example).  If there is still popping, then the input itself may not like what's going on.  You could also try using one of the Neutrik XLR connectors that has a built-in switch.

Has this popping been a problem the whole time or is it a new occurrence?
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

i have a restaurant with a mic at the hostess stand. The mic feeds a DBX ZonePro 640M Zone Controller. When the mic button is depressed it makes a noticeable "pop" sound before the musics "ducks" and then "pops" again as the mic button is released. I have changed mics, cables etc. I have also setup a test lab at my office and the same situation occurs. What am I doing wrong?
There is a circuit available on the web for this but in your situation it probably is
just easy to purchase microphones with pop free switches

Here is a link for you

http://www.aexsystem.com/product/mh_me/MH%201a,%20MH%202a%20&%20ME%201_Engliah.pdf

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »

Here is another link for you Nigel

http://www.alectrosystems.com/shop/data/MMSI.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.