ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley GH60 or SH46?  (Read 10834 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Danley GH60 or SH46?
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

Let's see if we can fill up the entire first page with threads named "Danley X or Y?"  ;D

Seriously now.  I've got 2 x TH212 and 2 x SH46 with 2 x TH118 coming over the Atlantic. I am/was aiming for a rig consisting of 4 x SH46 and 4 x TH118, but as always I start having thoughts.  ::)

My plan, currently, is to hang the 2 x 2 x SH46 from a truss up to about 5.5 meters ~ 20 feet in the air.

Right now I'm doing gigs with the 2 x TH212 and 2 x SH46, with the SH46 on Jeff Knorr's old home made stand mounts that I've had reinforced and place on top of a 3.2 meter tall stand. This way, the tops are aiming at the punters standing about 5 meters away from the stand = 6-7 meters from the speakers, and at this point, with the tops running at least 6dB from their max, it's already VERY loud in that position.

So I'm wondering if the a GH60 would be a better fit for me apart from the horizontal coverage the pros and cons of which are pretty self evident.

I have heard the cabinet once in Poland, and I'm not so worried about the SQ of it, but I don't have that much of a grasp on the muscle of the cabinet and whether or not the pattern would work for me. It was a far cry from a "real world" test.

I love the idea of the asymmetrical coverage - that's the way it should always have been. But how much raw power would I have in 1 x GH60 pr. side vs. the 2 x SH46 whose power I'm not sure I would be able to utilize properly anyway from a trim height of 5.5 at the most (and in some places lower due to clearance) without frying the ears of rows 4-8.

Would the GH60 fare better in this regard? And from the max height of 5.5 m, which is lower than suggested by the manufacturer.

And regarding power, it's especially the low mids I'm worried about, as the GH60 has only got 17% extra cone area compared to a single SH46. But then again - larger horn, different pattern, different driver configuration, higher tuning (down to only 90Hz instead of the SH46's 70Hz). From the GH60 vs Line Array shootout, the GH60 also seems to be up to 10 dB down in the 100-200 Hz area compared to the rest of the range.

Or put in different ways:

1. For how many people would you be comfortable doing a rock show with
A: 2 x GH60 as tops
and
B: 4 x SH46 as tops respectively.

2. What are your thoughts on the balance/cohesion(?) of a rig consisting of:

A: 4 x TH118 + 4 x SH46
and
B: 4 x TH118 + 2 x GH60
respectively.

What I'm wanting to accomplish is rock and roll shows for maybe 1-2k people. Any thoughts on this to lighten up my path would be greatly appreciated.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Danley GH60 or SH46?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »

Hi Frederik,

I don't have any first hand experience with the Genesis Horns yet.  Hopefully Ivan will chime in with how the GH60 would work at lower trim heights. 

I did want to call your attention to this Danley press release if you haven't seen it, http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/AllTimeLow.pdf

There is a thread somewhere in the old forums that provides more details of the event.  From memory, I believe there were ~1100 people in attendance and they were running with ~6dB of headroom left on the SH46s.  If that holds true, I would think that a properly flown pair of SH46s would hold their own at a similar event.

Jeff

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »

I don't what is up with just this forum that keeps jumping up to the top with every keystroke

VERY ANNOYING!

Anyway, I would not look at the GH60 (in its current form) for your application-for a couple of reasons.

It is designed to be flown higher and to cover out to about 80'.  Typical install for 1000-2000ish seat room.  The idea is to reduce the level coming out of the top of the box so you don't energize the room and back wall as much.

So currently you have to aim it up in the sky in order to get any "distance" out of it.  Which is does VERY well-but looks really wierd.

Also it is not very stable when standing up (it is intended to be flown).

In the next version we will make a more "portable friendly" version.  It will have a forward (instead of down) facing pattern  and a wider base so it will stand up without having to be strapped down as much.

I don't have it now (it is being scanned) but there was an article in the Polish Live Sound magazine a little while back at Open AIr (A VERY large outdoor concert with a number of stages) in which there was a stage that had the GH60 and a Vertec line array setup side by side.

I don't know Polish so I have not read the article, but the basic jest of it was "Is this the death of the line array?".

WHen I get an electronic copy I will post it.

I would stick with the SH46 and just more of them-it would also be more flexible in terms of arraybility.

GREAT Now the jumpin g around of the  letters starts.

Does anybody else have this problem?

I am realy getting ticked at it..
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »

Here are scans of the article.  It may be available on line.  It is in the 5/2009 issue of live sound Poland.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Out of Bounds
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

I don't what is up with just this forum that keeps jumping up to the top with every keystroke

VERY ANNOYING!

Anyway, I would not look at the GH60 (in its current form) for your application-for a couple of reasons.

It is designed to be flown higher and to cover out to about 80'.  Typical install for 1000-2000ish seat room.  The idea is to reduce the level coming out of the top of the box so you don't energize the room and back wall as much.

So currently you have to aim it up in the sky in order to get any "distance" out of it.  Which is does VERY well-but looks really wierd.

Also it is not very stable when standing up (it is intended to be flown).

In the next version we will make a more "portable friendly" version.  It will have a forward (instead of down) facing pattern  and a wider base so it will stand up without having to be strapped down as much.

I don't have it now (it is being scanned) but there was an article in the Polish Live Sound magazine a little while back at Open AIr (A VERY large outdoor concert with a number of stages) in which there was a stage that had the GH60 and a Vertec line array setup side by side.

I don't know Polish so I have not read the article, but the basic jest of it was "Is this the death of the line array?".

WHen I get an electronic copy I will post it.

I would stick with the SH46 and just more of them-it would also be more flexible in terms of arraybility.

GREAT Now the jumpin g around of the  letters starts.

Does anybody else have this problem?

I am realy getting ticked at it..

Ivan:

A couple of things:

You, as an employee of Danley Sound Labs, do not get to drag VerTec comparisons into the discussion.  Please keep it to your products and yours alone.

The Polish gig was carried out by your sole distributor in Europe, who is located in Poland, correct?

And the business about the 'death of the line array', if I had to bet the farm I would wager that's straight from Mike Hedden.

Come on, please.  Everyone appreciates your contributions here, but you and the rest need to understand how it works for manufacturers, and to comply with the rules.

Please keep posting, but keep it in bounds.

Thanks.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

Out of Bounds
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.