ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB150zR Subwoofer or other tiny subwoofer for EV ZX3s  (Read 19106 times)

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
EAW SB150zR Subwoofer or other tiny subwoofer for EV ZX3s
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:53:52 AM »

I am looking for a very small portable sub that goes low for between sets dj'ing in very small venues. Sound quality and low distortion are high priorities but I don't need a lot of SPL, even the SRX718 might be more than I need. I am leaning toward powered but still considering passive, and came across the specs for the EAB SB150zR, a vented 15" direct radiating sub with great frequency response using DSP, and smaller than the SRX718 for transportation convenience.
http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current_Loudspeakers/SB150z/SB150zR_SPECS_revA.pdf

Right now my mains are a pair of ZX3s, great for live vocals but they need a sub for dj'ing. I have a PLX1804, PL236 and Xilica DSP I can use for this system. Between sets the dj music is Cuban timba with very melodic bass that goes low down to 40 Hz. Venue usually has 10-30 people dancing and another 20-30 sitting at tables talking. Target dance floor SPLs in the 95-100 dB range within 5 meters of the speakers, lower farther away. My car space is limited by the rest of the sound system and instruments.

Has anyone used the EAW SB150zR? A single SRX718 would be great for future expandability, but is pushing the space limit of my car and I would probably have to buy a new amp. Other possibilities that go low enough are QSC KW118 and JBL PRX618S-XLF, but they are also bigger and heavier than the EAW and I don't need the extra SPL. The JBL VRX915 looks small and light but is double the price of the EAW, with axial sensitivity 3 dB less than the EAW, although it can go almost as low without DSP. Can anyone compare the sound quality of the EAW SB150zR with that of the SRX718 or other smaller subs?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:22:05 AM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
Re: EAW SB150zR Subwoofer or other tiny subwoofer for EV ZX3s
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »

George, have a look at the Danley TH-Mini that Craig road tested. It may work for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »

Has anyone used the EAW SB150zR? A single SRX718 would be great for future expandability, but is pushing the space limit of my car and I would probably have to buy a new amp. Other possibilities that go low enough are QSC KW118 and JBL PRX618S-XLF, but they are also bigger and heavier than the EAW and I don't need the extra SPL. The JBL VRX915 looks small and light but is double the price of the EAW, with axial sensitivity 3 dB less than the EAW, although it can go almost as low without DSP. Can anyone compare the sound quality of the EAW SB150zR with that of the SRX718 or other smaller subs?

I found some used SB150s for a classic rock(60s & 70s) band that needed a better sub setup under their EV ZX5s.  I ran sound for them for about two years with that setup and got a lot of compliments on the sound. In most clubs, I was running around 105db at the board position(50ft back). It also sounded very good at small outdoor events(100-200 people). I used the suggested EAW settings in the Driverack for the crossover region.  You can see some discussion of the setup over on the DBX forum here.
http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1918

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

+1 on the SB150 as a recommended sub.  Also look into the updated SB150z, which sounds deeper to my ears.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »

Thanks guys. I am considing the Danley TH-mini as well, but it looks like the EAW is down 3-4 dB at 40 Hz (with DSP) while the TH-mini is down 9 dB at 40 Hz (with no DSP). The EAW, which costs a bit more than half what the TH-mini costs, goes lower at the price of less SPL, larger size and need for a DSP boost at 40 Hz. Can I use a DSP boost on the TH-mini at 40 Hz and give a comparable frequency response to that of the EAW? Will that affect the sound quality?

Mark, the DBX thread is very helpful, it has DSP settings for the SB150z. It sounds from your description that a single SB150z would be more than adequate for the SPL needs I described. Are the EAW suggested DSP settings for the SB150z much different from the Driverack suggested settings?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »

Danley CS30. You can get it passive or powered.

http://danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=CS 30

You'll have to copy & paste the link. PSW doesn't like the space between CS and 30.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:50:59 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »

Mark, the DBX thread is very helpful, it has DSP settings for the SB150z. It sounds from your description that a single SB150z would be more than adequate for the SPL needs I described. Are the EAW suggested DSP settings for the SB150z much different from the Driverack suggested settings?

The SB150(or the EV ZX series) isn't in the Driverack speaker tunings and per the guys on the DBX forum, the cheap measurement mic I used isn't flat enough to use under 100hz, so I stayed with the EAW settings in the chart and set the sub level by ear. The indoor auto EQ method described on the DBX forum worked very well for EQing the ZX5s. After that, I only had to do minor EQ on the mains from gig to gig. 

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »

Thanks. Mike, but the CS30 doesn't go up very high and the ZX3s don't go down very low. The CS30 rolls off on the top end and is down 5 dB by 75 Hz, 8 dB by 100 Hz and 10 dB by 130 Hz or so. The ZX3s are excellent for vocals but for dj'ing with a sub I think they would need a pretty high crossover. I am concerned that crossing over at 75 or 80 Hz would leave a very audible hole between 90 and 120 Hz. Is that true? Have you used the CS30 with ZX3s? How would they sound together without DSP or EQ, with just a simple analog crossover? Do you have any suggestions for a tiny powered sub to use with the ZX3s for the application I described?

Thanks, Mark. That method is similar to what I would be doing using the Xilica DSP and ear.

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

George, have you looked into these yet:

http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/growler/

Have a look. It may work well for your needs.

Pat

cliff truesdell

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »

I dont know how the spec's and performance measures up but the RCF 902as sub is powered and tiny in size.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.