ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 ohms or 8 ohms  (Read 28257 times)

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
Re: 4 ohms or 8 ohms
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »

<SNIP> I think we will need something over spl 100dB. As you mention 120 would cause damage but it will save us from having to turn the amp right up and hopefully the sound level will be hovering around the 100 dB level.

How far away from the loudspeakers do you expect to measure 100dB SPL? 

100dB @ 1M becomes 94dB @ 2M, 88dB @ 4M, etc.

Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

One thing not mentioned so far is the effect by sensitivity. That is part of the "not all things equal". Many times, a speaker with lower impedance might also have a lower sensitivity so will take more power to make the same SPL.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ken McDonald

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »

Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts on this. I have obviously got a lot to think about.
In response to the question about the distance from the speaker for measuring the SPL. Well I'm not measuring it with anything it was the availbility of headroom. So if if the amp is set at 3/4 volume or something at least we be out of the way of output distortion....I think

Anyway once again many thanks indeed....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »

Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts on this. I have obviously got a lot to think about.
In response to the question about the distance from the speaker for measuring the SPL. Well I'm not measuring it with anything it was the availbility of headroom. So if if the amp is set at 3/4 volume or something at least we be out of the way of output distortion....I think

Anyway once again many thanks indeed....

The amplifier input knob has no intrinsic affect on distortion as it only attenuates the input signal being sent to the amp.  Distorted signals can and do exist ahead of the amplifier, and they will be amplified along with the undistorted portions of the signal as well.

Speakers also introduce distortion of their own, and changes in the amp's input level control will not affect that, either.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ken McDonald

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »

The amplifier input knob has no intrinsic affect on distortion as it only attenuates the input signal being sent to the amp.  Distorted signals can and do exist ahead of the amplifier, and they will be amplified along with the undistorted portions of the signal as well.

Speakers also introduce distortion of their own, and changes in the amp's input level control will not affect that, either.

Thank you for your reply but my point really was that for whatever the reason, if you turn an amp up full it distorts. If you turn it up to 3/4 then it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad. So if I have a much more powerful set up then I wont have to turn it right up to maintain that level of output. .

Am I right with that thinking or have I got that wrong too?

Edit... Even with a TV set if I turn that up to full volume it distorts so it's not just professional stage gear I am talking about
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:43:05 AM by Ken McDonald »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »

Another aspect to this is that speaker impedance varies with frequency, often quite significantly.  Unlike the nice resistors used to obtain the published amplifier ratings, speakers not only do not present simple resistance but rather complex impedance, but a nominal 4 Ohm speaker is also not 4 Ohms at all frequencies, instead it would typically be below 4 Ohms at some frequencies and typically many times that at other frequencies.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »

Thank you for your reply but my point really was that for whatever the reason, if you turn an amp up full it distorts. If you turn it up to 3/4 then it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad. So if I have a much more powerful set up then I wont have to turn it right up to maintain that level of output. .

Edit... Even with a TV set if I turn that up to full volume it distorts so it's not just professional stage gear I am talking about
The distortion of an amp will be the same at 1/4 of the volume control or turned all the way up.

It is the INPUT signal that determines how much power an amp will put out.  NOT the level control.

In the case of your TV, you are simply sending to much level TO the amp.

It is the TOTAL of ALL of your "volume controls" that determine whether or not distrotion is present in the signal chain-input trim-channel level-tone controls-mix bss-master level on console-input processing-output processing level-eq adjustments in the processing and LASTLY (and the point that has the most minimal effect) is the level control on the amplifier.

Screw up one of them, and you get distortion and every where on down the chain will "pass it on".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »

No.. as others have tried to describe, the amplifier being driven into overload (distortion) is the product of it's level control, and the input signal level. Turned all the way up with no input signal will not distort.

Your Tv set or whatever, has it's gain structure established by design to overload where it does.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ken McDonald

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »

OK thank you guys. I understand that now, many thanks.

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

Back to your original question, why are there so many 8ohm speakers? From a (former) manufacturer's perspective, it's a cost-effective thing. If you market a single-woofer box and a dual-woofer box it would require 2 different woofers (4- and 8-ohm) to provide both as 4-ohm boxes.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.