ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Community s-series loudspeakers  (Read 5147 times)

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
Community s-series loudspeakers
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »

Hi,

I have searched for any reviews, topics and talk of the new (I think new) community s-series speakers but have found little to none. I am looking to build a small portable passive rig for 6 piece rock n roll band type stuff (300 people indoors) using the s-series 12 inch 3 ways as tops (just a pair). (s-3294). http://www.communitypro.com/index.php/product-list/109-s-series

I need to find a matching amp with the aim of getting good quality sound and decent reliability.
Where I live the options are:
Crown (probably xti4000)
Behringer (this is last resort)
Audio center (Chinese stuff with seemingly good specs)
Qsc (gx amps but there is little service support)
Jb systems (very obscure brand, some good stuff some terrible stuff)
Proel (value for money option apparently)
And my favorite: powersoft (m20 but it's the most expensive)

Speakers are 500w program

So, which amps/brands should I stick with and has anyone used these speakers? In fact has anyone used any of the s series speakers?

Thanks in advance! (apologies for another "which amp" thread)

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
Re: Community s-series loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »

I have several GX5's which have served me well with zero trouble.

If I were buying them today, I would cough up the extra cheese for GX7's instead. Lighter and more power for not too much more money. I bought mine before the GX7 was released.

Winston Gamble

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »

I've been running the Sonus (now called the S Series) 3294s for my wife's rock/blues band for about 5 years now. I've got them running one per channel off of a QSC PLX 1802 which I believe is rated for 330 watts at 8 ohm 1khz. I used to run them off of a PLX 3102 and noticed no difference when I switched them to the smaller amp. Probably because I can drive the 3294 into protection with before the 1802 gets into limiting.

So, I don't see much point in having a larger amp on them than something that puts out around 300-350 watts per channel at 8ohm. Brand wise, I've been happy with QSC, but Crown would be fine as well. I try to stay away from off brand amps.

I've been very happy with the 3294s over the years, but one of my complaints would be that their internal protection is not very pretty sounding. Maybe that's a good thing though as it keeps folks from driving them beyond their abilities. I keep wondering if they would handle a bit more power if I bi-amped them, but they go into protection right around the same time I start to run out of sub level, so it hasn't seemed worth the effort.

Good luck, Winston.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:20:08 PM by Winston Gamble »

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the response so far

@Winston

That sounds like a similar setup to what im hoping to stick together so Im really glad you say it works well (this is costing me and arm and a leg, this is a hobby and im upgrading from proel stuff, so its a big leap). When i looked on the qsc website it says that both plx1802 and plx3102 have at least a 550W rating..

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/plx1804_specifications.htm
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/plx3102_specifications.htm

But thats close to the rating im shooting for so if you say it works im happy

another question regarding the s3294's, are they hardy? as in do they suffer scratches and dents easy? (re-sale is difficult in this country). also, i can check up the weight on the internet but are they awkward to carry? as in, is the placement of the handles awkward or ok and just generally are the cabinets user (roadie) friendly?

thanks so much!

Richard

Winston Gamble

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:36:13 AM »

Thanks so much for the response so far

@Winston

That sounds like a similar setup to what im hoping to stick together so Im really glad you say it works well (this is costing me and arm and a leg, this is a hobby and im upgrading from proel stuff, so its a big leap). When i looked on the qsc website it says that both plx1802 and plx3102 have at least a 550W rating..

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/plx1804_specifications.htm
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/plx3102_specifications.htm

But thats close to the rating im shooting for so if you say it works im happy

another question regarding the s3294's, are they hardy? as in do they suffer scratches and dents easy? (re-sale is difficult in this country). also, i can check up the weight on the internet but are they awkward to carry? as in, is the placement of the handles awkward or ok and just generally are the cabinets user (roadie) friendly?

thanks so much!

Richard

I have no problems with carrying them and the center of gravity is good on them. At just over 50lbs they are pretty easy to get on speaker stands by myself. I had a self imposed weight limit of under 60lbs when we were looking to upgrade from our old Eons, so their light weight is one of the things that lead me to the S Series.

My only real complaint with ours is their paint/coating. It isn't very heavy duty or thickly applied. Mine are the older Sonus version though and maybe that has been improved on the newer S Series. We have padded covers for all our speakers though so ours still look good and it hasn't been an issue. Without covers, they would definitely need some touch up painting by now after banging about in the trailer for five years, but so would most speakers. Covers or cases just make sense.

Overall build quality is good with plenty of bracing in the cabinet and good speaker grills.

good luck, Winston.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:45:50 AM by Winston Gamble »

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »

Thanks so much for the info!

are there really that few people using these speaker series? i thought community was big?

Winston Gamble

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »

Thanks so much for the info!

are there really that few people using these speaker series? i thought community was big?

While Community has a long history with a pretty good record for value and good products, they currently are focusing on the install market. This might account for the relatively thin coating on my Sonus 3294's too, as they were pretty much just slightly changed Veris line speakers which is one of their instal lines.
 They appear to be more prevalent closer to their home territory in PA (?). Most of the other Community speakers I've run into in my area have been older model lines still going strong. Just mixed on a T Series rig last month.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.