ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to go from Stereo to Mono in School Auditorium sound system  (Read 5901 times)

Garry Drummond

Hello,

I occasionally run sound in a local school auditorium where I have two stereo devices that run through my sound board (Mackie 1402VLZ) then into a Mono amplifier system. I know how to build a signal combiner to convert the stereo signal to mono using a pair of resistors, but is it best to put the combiner between each stereo device and the mixer or would it be better to place it between the mixer and amplifier or is there a better way to do it? I am currently only using one channel from the mixer output to the amp.

Many thanks,
Garry

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
Re: Best way to go from Stereo to Mono in School Auditorium sound system
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

Hello,

I occasionally run sound in a local school auditorium where I have two stereo devices that run through my sound board (Mackie 1402VLZ) then into a Mono amplifier system. I know how to build a signal combiner to convert the stereo signal to mono using a pair of resistors, but is it best to put the combiner between each stereo device and the mixer or would it be better to place it between the mixer and amplifier or is there a better way to do it? I am currently only using one channel from the mixer output to the amp.

Many thanks,
Garry

Well, there are a couple of different methods that you could use varying in price from free to $350.

Option 1 - This is the cheapest and least classy option.  Plug your stereo sources into the board and then pan both channels to the same output that you are feeding your amp with.

Option 2 - I'm assuming you are talking about the summing schematic that was included in Rane's Why not Wye article http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Option 3 - Buy Whirlwind's IMP-LINE LEVEL-COMBINER box that summs a stereo signal into a mono signal.

Option 4 - Buy Radial's JDI Duplex Stereo DI.  It's a box that takes two stereo signals and summs them into two mono signals.

There are other boxes and other solutions out there but it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on the solution and how much you care about the signal.
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »

Hello,

Many thanks,
Garry

I made two of the stereo>mono boxes.  I use them to sum the signal from the playback device into a single channel on the board.  That leaves me more inputs for live sound.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »

Make summing boxes per the Rane page for the two sources in question.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.