ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woofer criteria for midrange horn  (Read 6587 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Woofer criteria for midrange horn
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

When dealing with simple conical mid horns, the likes of which were used on the EV SH1502ER, does the mid woofer need special properties? Or do these mid horns act more like waveguides wherein they are simply restricting the radiation pattern of a front mounted woofer and any type of driver can be used?

I know that with subs a high EBP means the driver will work better in a horn, but I don't know if that holds true for the short, straight horns like you find on a mid cab.

Does anyone have any guidelines, or reading that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-=Tim=-
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Johan Rademakers

Re: Woofer criteria for midrange horn
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »

Try the FAQ's at speakerplans.com

Best regards Johan

Jeremy McNichol

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »

If you have woofer specs , then check out HORN RESPONSE by David mcbean , its a program you can down load . Many people on diyaudio use it to simulate all types of enclosures( FLH,BLH,tapped,etc) and I think it may be able to work that type as we'll. There is a help section that is easy to use and if you have any questions the good people there will give you a hand. It took me about an hour to learn how to use hornresp. And you can change the input variables to see the final output specs to see if its what you want it to do.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:32:57 PM by Jeremy McNichol »

Jeremy McNichol

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »

I have version 28.30 of hornresp so its come a long way in the last couple of years. Yes any kind of horn can be modeled, conical,parabolic,le cleach ,exponential, tractrix. Its really up to the user to find the optimum combination of enclosure/ driver and go thru the process of elimination in trying to find the" perfect"combnation of frequency response and output. I have gone thru 20 Sims on one of my 12" drivers alone trying to find the best box/horn outcomes:)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.