ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for economy DMX-USB dongle with scene memory  (Read 5490 times)

Richard Turner

looking for economy DMX-USB dongle with scene memory
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »

looking for something along the lines of the chauvet DMX Xpress plus, dongle but on a budget . those are probably well worth the $949 street price but at that price point I will go with hardware controller

Basically for a small stage with LED lighting and scanners I just want to have the operator be able to push a bump button and bring up some scenes. Right now I'm using a MY DMX ans a net-book for my shows and using 3 incandescent cans for the open mic and non house provided production nights in the venue

Basically if a unit had 4 scsnes programmable to memory with bump buttons built in it would be the cat's meow. it could even be crippled to 128 channel that would be enough channels
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: looking for economy DMX-USB dongle with scene memory
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »

Chamsys now makes the MAGIC DMX-Full dongle that sells for around $100 on their website. It offers a full universe of DMX (512 channels) and can be used with their free MagicQ software.

http://www.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx

They also make the MAGIC DMX -BASIC unit that allows a full universe that is limited to 5 hours of continuous use, and then you have to unplug and replug the dongle in to reset the time limit.  That sells for about $16.

While aimed mainly at students and designers, the Basic may offer enough time to get a bar band through a show, especially if they unplug it during a break and reset it.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

Chamsys now makes the MAGIC DMX-Full dongle that sells for around $100 on their website. It offers a full universe of DMX (512 channels) and can be used with their free MagicQ software.

http://www.chamsys.co.uk/magicdmx

They also make the MAGIC DMX -BASIC unit that allows a full universe that is limited to 5 hours of continuous use, and then you have to unplug and replug the dongle in to reset the time limit.  That sells for about $16.

While aimed mainly at students and designers, the Basic may offer enough time to get a bar band through a show, especially if they unplug it during a break and reset it.

hmm, my post got deleted, mod any idea why?

The think the thing here is that the poster wants something that can work standalone with out a computer, so scene memory is needed like what I suggested in my deleted post.

EmilBarnabas

• Barnabas MultiMedia
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:21:03 PM »

I use a LanBox, which you can program and then disconnect from the computer. It has 8 contact points that you can connect 8 switches or relays to to call up 8 different scenes.

www.lanbox.com

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »

looking for something along the lines of the chauvet DMX Xpress plus, dongle but on a budget . those are probably well worth the $949 street price but at that price point I will go with hardware controller

Basically for a small stage with LED lighting and scanners I just want to have the operator be able to push a bump button and bring up some scenes. Right now I'm using a MY DMX ans a net-book for my shows and using 3 incandescent cans for the open mic and non house provided production nights in the venue

Basically if a unit had 4 scsnes programmable to memory with bump buttons built in it would be the cat's meow. it could even be crippled to 128 channel that would be enough channels

Something simple as a DMX Operator will do that. 
Can't say I like progtramming on them, but you can save presets and bump them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.