ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey QW118 w/Vintage EV tops for small FOH rig  (Read 6177 times)

Robert Buhrman

• Sound Consulting LLC
Peavey QW118 w/Vintage EV tops for small FOH rig
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »

I have heard some good things about the Peavey QW118 sub.  It's  specs state that this "sub" is +/-3db from 47Hz to 1.5K Hz.  I haven't seen subs that go that high, but if they do, I have an idea for a small rig

I have some vintage EV midrange horns and tweeters that I'd like to use as tops (There's something I really like about the sound of the midrange through these horns.)

Here's the proposed small club or outdoor rig for classic rock band or DJ:

2 Peavey QW118 subs (800Hz and below)
2 EV SM120 (w/1823) driver midrange horns (800Hz-3.6kHz)
2 EV T35 tweeters (3.6KHz and above)

Amps - 1 QSC GX5 for subs 1 QSC GX3 for tops
Crossovers - Vintage hand-built

I already own everything but the QW118's.  Any thoughts on the QW118?  This setup?  Thanks in advance.

Scott Stephens

Re: Peavey QW118 w/Vintage EV tops for small FOH rig
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

Robert,
I believe the QW 18's are loaded with the Low Riders. If I'm correct, give them more power than a GX5. Because I think they will top out at 1600 watts? Hit them hard and they will serve you well. They are fine speakers. As far as the tops and mids, EV's are great if they are in good shape.

chuck clark

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper and would actually work, ..BUT, the midrange in this design would be rideing on top of the low bass waves which are already useing up most of the excursion of the woofer.  The QW's are a lovely subwoofer that does have useable response well up into the midrange but the volume levels you could run at cleanly would be limited. Solution? Add a 15" low mid driver and run 4 way. That would let each driver really perform in it's optimum range without pushing into frequency extremes that it will do but doesn't really excell at. Happy sailing!
Chuck

Robert Buhrman

• Sound Consulting LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »

Thanks guys, great info. 
I just happen to have a pair of vintage EV SP15a's that work and look to be in great shape.  A four way system might be doable. I could build a cabinet for the 15's so it would all stack nicely.  Maybe I could pickup a GX7 or better for the subs.....

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »

Thanks guys, great info. 
I just happen to have a pair of vintage EV SP15a's that work and look to be in great shape.  A four way system might be doable. I could build a cabinet for the 15's so it would all stack nicely.  Maybe I could pickup a GX7 or better for the subs.....

Your idea would be very similar to the old Peavey SP1. Those had a huge horn for highs and a folded horn for lows. The stated crossover point was 500hz. Hi fidelity they were not, but they were loud with minimal power and had a punch.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/59514/0/

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:52:34 AM »

If possible, you should definitely use a stronger (and maybe better) amplifier than the GX5.  QSC’s are great  (that’s all I use), but the GX5 is on their low “affordable” side.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »

I have heard some good things about the Peavey QW118 sub.  It's  specs state that this "sub" is +/-3db from 47Hz to 1.5K Hz.  I haven't seen subs that go that high, but if they do, I have an idea for a small rig

I have some vintage EV midrange horns and tweeters that I'd like to use as tops (There's something I really like about the sound of the midrange through these horns.)

I already own everything but the QW118's.  Any thoughts on the QW118?  This setup?  Thanks in advance.
I looked over the specs on your stuff.  500hz is the magic frequency
I would use at 24db per octave between the EV driver and the Peavey driver.
I would go active on the xover instead of passive.  Of course I do not know
what driver you have on that horn but the horn will do 500hz with no problem
Isnt that a University Sound horn?  The EV Sentry IV recomends 400hz to 450hz
to that horn/compression driver.  I bet the diaphragm is Phenolic and EV loved
to use Phenolic in their compression drivers.   Do your research but 500hz
definitely the highest I would xover that 18 inch driver.   If you want to go
higher then 500hz then go with 15" inch drivers.   To really get a passive xover
right it takes alot of testing etc.  Make your life easy and go with active three way stereo xover. 

Robert Buhrman

• Sound Consulting LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.  I might give it a try as a 3-way.  I believe the 1823 driver/SM120 horn combo will go down to 500hz according to the research I could find.

If I don't like it, I can always add a 15" for the low mids and go 4-way.

So if I buy the QW118s I'll upgrade the sub amp and look at maybe a DBX 234XL or DBX DriveRack PA for xovers.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »

I just dumped a driverack PA on a trade...I do not like the sound of that unit.
It sounds digital.  Check out the BSS digital  speaker management if you choose to go
that way.  Otherwise a 3way stereo analog like the DBX will work fine or check out Rane
or Ashley.   I have a couple of Rane analog xovers and they have delay feature and 24db
per octave slopes.   Alot of the old Altec gear came from the factory at 500hz for a two way.
500hz will work fine for you. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.