ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft/Visi/Airport Express  (Read 12093 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Soundcraft/Visi/Airport Express
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »

I use a new Airport Express with the default settings(DHCP) with my Expression and Studiolive.  No problems!

By the way, there is NO inherent reason that a statically assigned IP address would provide a more reliable connection than an address assigned by DHCP.  In a situation where that appears to be the case, I would suggest there are other factors involved causing the problem.  Once you are connected it does not matter.  If you maintain your lease long enough for it to expire(not likely) it will renew automatically. I have a friend in the IT field that says he has had the same DHCP assigned IP address for 3 years!   If anyone can give a technical reason why they think DHCP is not as reliable(in a realistic situation), please do.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:00:10 AM by Chuck Simon »

Patrick Moore

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »

I just set my lease time to 999 days and it usually works fine. 

Still having dropout problems this morning, despite trying every available wifi channel. 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »

I just set my lease time to 999 days and it usually works fine. 

Still having dropout problems this morning, despite trying every available wifi channel.

Have you tried a different router?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

I use a new Airport Express with the default settings(DHCP) with my Expression and Studiolive.  No problems!

By the way, there is NO inherent reason that a statically assigned IP address would provide a more reliable connection than an address assigned by DHCP.  In a situation where that appears to be the case, I would suggest there are other factors involved causing the problem.  Once you are connected it does not matter.  If you maintain your lease long enough for it to expire(not likely) it will renew automatically. I have a friend in the IT field that says he has had the same DHCP assigned IP address for 3 years!   If anyone can give a technical reason why they think DHCP is not as reliable(in a realistic situation), please do.

Correct, using reliable routers and purpose built DHCP servers. I don't put an Airport express into that same category.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »

The new Airport Express is a big improvement over the older version.  You should check one out.  I used a Belkin router for over a year and switched to that Airport a couple of months ago.  I like the compact size, no wall wart, and it automatically switches between 2.5 or 5 kHz depending on the device connecting to it.  Totally reliable, so far.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:22 AM »

The new Airport Express is a big improvement over the older version.  You should check one out.  I used a Belkin router for over a year and switched to that Airport a couple of months ago.  I like the compact size, no wall wart, and it automatically switches between 2.5 or 5 kHz depending on the device connecting to it.  Totally reliable, so far.

Maybe if it used 2.4 gHz or 5 gHz it would work better :-)

Doesn't compact size usually conflict with efficient antenna? Something gets traded off for size. Maybe they just used "the suggestions of physics".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »

Doesn't compact size usually conflict with efficient antenna? Something gets traded off for size. Maybe they just used "the suggestions of physics".

At 2.4GHz the wavelength is 4.92". A half wave antenna would only be 2.5" long, and doesn't have to be straight. It will fit within the dimension of an Airport Express easily.

I have had better results with my Airport Express than with Linksys D-Links. I could probably do better by spending more, but I'm OK with the performance.

Mac

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »

Maybe if it used 2.4 gHz or 5 gHz it would work better :-)

I don't need it to work better, it has been flawless!  The dual wavelength is a very useful feature.  I don't understand your cynicism???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:40:36 PM by Chuck Simon »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »

I don't need it to work better, it has been flawless!  The dual wavelength is a very useful feature.  I don't understand your cynicism???
Chuck, it was a joke as your post indicated kHz. I'm sure no offense was intended...

Bob

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »

Chuck, it was a joke as your post indicated kHz. I'm sure no offense was intended...

Bob

Ooops, missed that!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.