ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new PSW screen layout is ridiculous.  (Read 8011 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
The new PSW screen layout is ridiculous.
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »

This aggravates me every time I open the new PSW. The ad space is WAY TOO BIG. The cellspacing at either side of the main frame is totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:43:39 pm by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Denon, Rane, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, BenQ, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: The new PSW screen layout is ridiculous.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:06:07 pm »

This aggravates me every time I open the new PSW. The ad space is WAY TOO BIG. The cellspacing at either side of the main frame is totally unnecessary.

Yes, the ad space is too big. We are working on that. It is the same ads coming from the same server as at the FUD version of PSW, however they are scaling 83% bigger in SMF. It is being addressed. What is all that wasted space on the left of your screen? I don't have any of that on either my laptop or iPad. As a temporary fix try using the "Curve" theme. The ads are currently broken in that skin, so they all appear at the top of the page. Once you scroll by there are no ads. This loophole will be filled, but till then it works. Directions for changing skins are in the Announcements section.

Mac

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »

What is all that wasted space on the left of your screen?

That normally is my bookmarks, and stays open all the time. I just clicked the "feeds" tab to blank it for the screenshot I posted.
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Denon, Rane, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, BenQ, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:37:50 am »

yuck, why are you using IE? get Firefox, or Chrome, or Opera. So much better, in so many ways.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

James Fahey

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:27:30 pm »

Just an idea for the sizing of the ads, is it possible to define their width with cascading style sheets(CSS)? Using CSS you are able to define the width of anything by a percentage of the screen, meaning that as you resize your screen everything scales according to screen size and the layout looks the same on every computer.  The only issue with that method could possibly be issues with browsers that aren't standards compliant, eg. IE which would require a little extra work hacking around to get to look right.

also, Justice some people are restricted in browser choice by their IT departments, for some reason most Managed Operating Environments use IE rather than a more secure (and standards compliant) browser such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »

I used firefox for a while. Didn't really like it. Then I do online banking and merchant accounting and they have a disclaimer that they only guarantee security with IE, which pretty much settles it.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:59:48 pm »

Just an idea for the sizing of the ads, is it possible to define their width with cascading style sheets(CSS)? Using CSS you are able to define the width of anything by a percentage of the screen, meaning that as you resize your screen everything scales according to screen size and the layout looks the same on every computer.  The only issue with that method could possibly be issues with browsers that aren't standards compliant, eg. IE which would require a little extra work hacking around to get to look right.

You could change the size of elements in the page, like a sidebar, but that wouldn't automatically resize the images to fit, and if you resize them in (X)HTML they tend to look pretty bad. Perhaps the only advantage to Flash is that it displays well when resized, so those ads would look nice (until I get sick of the blinky/scrolly stuff and install Flashblock again).

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »

Yes, the ad space is too big. We are working on that. It is the same ads coming from the same server as at the FUD version of PSW, however they are scaling 83% bigger in SMF. It is being addressed. What is all that wasted space on the left of your screen? I don't have any of that on either my laptop or iPad. As a temporary fix try using the "Curve" theme. The ads are currently broken in that skin, so they all appear at the top of the page. Once you scroll by there are no ads. This loophole will be filled, but till then it works. Directions for changing skins are in the Announcements section.

Mac

Is this still something you are working on or has it been fixed and my laptop's resolution (1024x768) is just too low?  The only way to even make the site usable was to completely hide http://www.prosoundweb.com/psw/forumright/ and http://www.prosoundweb.com/psw/forumbanner/ .  Just blocking ads was not enough due to the news and photo gallery items.  The ads on the top meant I nearly had to scroll a full page every time to see any real content.

I try to avoid using adblock on sites but the ads and general layout of the forums were making it too difficult to navigate on my laptop. 

David Elsbury

• Computer says no...
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:01:45 am »

You can use the other theme (Curve? I think) which looks much better but it is not the standard theme and therefore may not be supported by forum admin in terms of making changes first to it.

HTH
David

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:58 pm »

I used firefox for a while. Didn't really like it. Then I do online banking and merchant accounting and they have a disclaimer that they only guarantee security with IE, which pretty much settles it.

I use Firefox for my online banking and bill paying and have never, ever had an issue either with security or support from my bank.

The reason most IT departments want you to use IE is so they only have one platform to provide end-user support for.

FWIW, though, I have to run both AdBlock Plus and NoScript to make the PSW forums fit my laptop @ 1024x768.  SMF also sucks balls on my mobile devices.  Both FUD and vBulletin play much nicer.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »

Mike Pyle posted in January 2011, and the problem remains unresolved as of July, 2013.

Is there any way to get rid of the wasted advertising space on the right side of the screen; it's very annoying!
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »

Mike Pyle posted in January 2011, and the problem remains unresolved as of July, 2013.

Is there any way to get rid of the wasted advertising space on the right side of the screen; it's very annoying!

Don't run an ad blocker and you won't see blank space where there should be ads.

This is an advertising supported site.

Mac

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:22:36 pm »

Don't run an ad blocker and you won't see blank space where there should be ads.

This is an advertising supported site.

Mac

I would gladly pay an annual fee to gain full-screen text and images. :)
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:22 pm »

I would gladly pay an annual fee to gain full-screen text and images. :)

Not gonna happen. It's been 2 1/2 years, it's time to get over it. I have no problem with the screen on my laptop:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.