ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone purchase ebay LED lights from Hong Kong sellers?  (Read 9054 times)

Rob Dellwood

Anyone purchase ebay LED lights from Hong Kong sellers?
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »

Hi. I'm considering moving to LED par lamps for my band, and have been looking at various lights for sale. I came across these 3 watt fixtures, and am wondering if anyone here has purchased these or similar from Asian sellers on ebay?: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300499361439

Wondering if these are decent quality and work as described?

Thanks for any advice or information you can provide!

Randall Hyde

Re: Anyone purchase ebay LED lights from Hong Kong sellers?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »

Hi. I'm considering moving to LED par lamps for my band, and have been looking at various lights for sale. I came across these 3 watt fixtures, and am wondering if anyone here has purchased these or similar from Asian sellers on ebay?: 

IP20 is an okay case; much better than the typical sheet metal cans low-end LEDs use. Too bad the specs don't provide Lumen values. At 120W, you're probably getting 50W of actual LED light; far better than the 2nd Generation ADJ pieces of crap I currently own.  Looks like a deal.  Having said that, I've already made the mistake of purchasing sub-$500 fixtures and I doubt I'll make that mistake again. For a band, you can probably get by with this on a small stage (I'd recommend at least 16 for a 4-5 piece band), say 24'x16' or smaller.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »

The challenge with any non-branded fixture is the lack of any assurance that technical support exists. Nearly all the "lookalike" fixtures are far inferior to the established brands in some regard. You could get lucky, or you may not care if you experience a high failure rate or sub-par performance, but the odds are against you.
That being said, all of us have horror stories involving just about all the available products out there, but you're safer sticking with established products that have been around a bit.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Strzalkowski

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »

I have purchased some white/warm white 1W LED's from china just to see if they could come close to light quality of a typical PAR. I had asked around and noone had responded so I wen ahead and got in a pair. The light output did not compare with the 500W par they had said it would. The color was also splotchy and the warm white did not mix well with the regular white. I also had to open up one of the cans and noticed that the connection to the fan had not been soldered properly, and I had to go in and fix it myself. Everything seemed to be ok after that.

I took the pair out to a wedding I was lighting, I was using them as a simple uplight for the ceremony (just behind the drape for the preacher). When setting it up, I was changing the address on the back of the can, and the LED display slowly dimmed out as I was setting the address. I ended up having to 'reset' the fixture by un-plugging the unit and re-plugging it back in. After three attempts I had finally gotten the address I had needed after 15 minutes of wasted time!

In the end I decided against purchasing more units, the time and effort spent trying to repair the units on site was not worth it. And obviously they have no tech support, and returning them would be impossible. I am now sitting here with 2 lights I am not going to use and am out around $600. It was all to save $100-$200. I feel used...

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »

I've never dealt with them specifically, but I do have a couple of accounts with Chinese manufacturers.  I'm placing an order for some stuff tomorrow, actually.  I haven't had any problems with anything I have.  I've actually had more problems with some of the big name brands than I have with their (obvious) cloned Chinese equivalents.  I would say if you can afford it and don't mind taking the risk then go for it.  You're not going to be filling riders with it, but if it's for band/personal use then try it out. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »

How does the gel frame stay in the fixture? If you wanted to use diffusion gel, you couldn't. That is the kind of attention to detail that tells me that there are more things wrong on the inside of this light.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Marc Breton

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »

I bought moving head fixtures from a chinese manufacturer about 1 month ago and I'm happy with the product. They were Vello Beam 60's. They do make tons of LED pars and such. Shipping was 5 days to me. As far as quality, well, they are decent for the price.

For the price I paid for them, I would consider them throw away if anything would break on them...

Marc
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:48:54 AM by Marc Breton »

Tracy Garner

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »

I bought some from someone in the US that was buying in bulk from Hong Kong. 6 out of 6 had some kind of problem with them. It was supposed to be 200 or so LEDs in a PAR56. By the time I figured out how to use them, I found that 2/3 of the LEDs never lit up. It was way past the warranty period by the time I figured it out though...my loss

Kim Guibord

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »

I bought moving head fixtures from a chinese manufacturer about 1 month ago and I'm happy with the product. They were Vello Beam 60's. They do make tons of LED pars and such. Shipping was 5 days to me. As far as quality, well, they are decent for the price.

For the price I paid for them, I would consider them throw away if anything would break on them...

Marc
any additional fees to customs?

Marc Breton

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

any additional fees to customs?

If I remember correctly, I paid somewhere around 200.00$ for duties and the shipping was around 1000.00$ shipped in about 5 days in Canada.

But at 375$ a fixture, I bought 12 of them, hence the high shipping price. Fixtures weigh about 25 lb each.

Marc

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.  Thought I'd post an update with the outcome.  I decided to buy only one fixture, to see if it was good quality, worked fine, etc. before committing to a full set.  I made on 'offer' and got it cheaper than the starting price, so that was good.  The light arrived (pretty fast from China) and since this is my first LED, I could only plug it in and use the manual settings.  Keep in mind I'm a newb to LEDs and DMX and I don't yet have a controller.  The fixture did seem very sturdy and well-made to me, yet not too heavy.  Everything lit up fine and all the manual settings worked.  I was very happy with the brightness and coverage of the one light.  I think two trees worth would be more than enough to light up my 4 piece band, so I am going to go ahead and order them. 

Of course, it is too early to know about long-term performance, so that remains to be seen.  All told, I think we'll be happy with this setup.  Thanks again for all the advice!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.