ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more affordable boxes vs fewer expensive boxes  (Read 7711 times)

Josh Bennett

more affordable boxes vs fewer expensive boxes
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

Let's say you are on a fly gig and the promoter has a limited budget. Your only option is between two mid sized line arrays. Would you rather have enough boxes to cover the venue properly, and satisfy your taste for spl, but may be classified as a budget box. Or would you rather have as little as half of the number of boxes (half the length) of a better known name brand more expensive option?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

Let's say you are on a fly gig

Please go to your profile and change the "name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: more affordable boxes vs fewer expensive boxes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:31:32 PM »

Let's say you are on a fly gig and the promoter has a limited budget. Your only option is between two mid sized line arrays. Would you rather have enough boxes to cover the venue properly, and satisfy your taste for spl, but may be classified as a budget box. Or would you rather have as little as half of the number of boxes (half the length) of a better known name brand more expensive option?

Without more info, this is an impossible question to answer. What size venue, what type music, what are the boxes in question?

I recently did a festival in a hotel ballroom that held about 750 people, for Bands That You Have Heard Of™ on a Vertec rig. Because of space and budget restraints I only had 3 a side. This was fine for coverage in this room and worked great for the country and folk acts, but for the rock bands it ran out of gas way too quickly. Part of the problem was the XTi6000 on low mids. I needed more.

So give us more info, especially the type of PA available and we can tell you exactly what you don't want to hear!  ;D
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Josh Bennett

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »

coverage,
Without more info, this is an impossible question to answer. What size venue, what type music, what are the boxes in question?

I recently did a festival in a hotel ballroom that held about 750 people, for Bands That You Have Heard Of™ on a Vertec rig. Because of space and budget restraints I only had 3 a side. This was fine for coverage in this room and worked great for the country and folk acts, but for the rock bands it ran out of gas way too quickly. Part of the problem was the XTi6000 on low mids. I needed more.

So give us more info, especially the type of PA available and we can tell you exactly what you don't want to hear!  ;D

say half house in an arena, 3500 people assume both PA's with 90 degrees horizontal coverage, both are properly processed and powered

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

Is there a problem with naming the boxes?

The TVI line array properly processed and powered will still not equal even a quarter of a Milo, Nexo, Vertec, or just about any other pro rig out there.

Plus, I would like to know if it's rock or folk, because the Peavey boxes will work for one and not the other. There's no way around this, you need to give us the info.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

The wrong tool for the job is still the wrong tool for the job, even if it is handmade by a Japanese master-craftsman.

If one of the system designs can not meet fundamental performance criteria, then why is it even being entertained?

Perhaps the real question is, what are the fundamental performance criteria, and how well do each of these proposed systems meet them?

phillipivan.

Josh Bennett

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »

I tried to describe the systems in a way that they were very similar in output and specifications. I'm not getting the type of responses I was looking for. So here is my situation, the current line array provider around is 360 miles away and owns a EAW 730 rig, but because they charge $2000 to drive a rig here they many times bring less PA than needed for the gig, be it rock, folk, whatever. I'm looking at the VTC 210 because of performance vs cost ratio, just trying to figure out if engineers would rather have 8 of those a side or pay for EAW 4 a side.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »

I tried to describe the systems in a way that they were very similar in output and specifications. I'm not getting the type of responses I was looking for. So here is my situation, the current line array provider around is 360 miles away and owns a EAW 730 rig, but because they charge $2000 to drive a rig here they many times bring less PA than needed for the gig, be it rock, folk, whatever. I'm looking at the VTC 210 because of performance vs cost ratio, just trying to figure out if engineers would rather have 8 of those a side or pay for EAW 4 a side.

Engineers would rather have the right number of line array boxes to achieve the coverage they need. It is not a matter of whether 4 of one brand is more or less useful or acceptable than 8 of another. Line arrays are specified to have certain vertical coverage, which is determined by the number of array elements, and they have certain low frequency pattern characteristics that are in part determined by the overall length of the array.

Mac

Josh Bennett

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:20 PM »

Engineers would rather have the right number of line array boxes to achieve the coverage they need. It is not a matter of whether 4 of one brand is more or less useful or acceptable than 8 of another. Line arrays are specified to have certain vertical coverage, which is determined by the number of array elements, and they have certain low frequency pattern characteristics that are in part determined by the overall length of the array.

Mac
That's the type of comment I was looking for, I know what I would like is enough PA to cover the listening area as long as that PA has reasonable specs and output, regardless of name recognition. I was just trying to get a read on others thoughts.

Collin Donohue

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »

Nearly all line array manufacturers have a software calculation tool of some kind to predict coverage and SPL for specified models under given parameters, such as height, coverage areas, etc.

I would recommend downloading a few of them and seeing what they have to offer.  Then cross-reference that with your budget and see where your budget takes you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.