ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream video to overflow room?  (Read 31864 times)

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
Stream video to overflow room?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

A friend is partnering with another storefront church to put on a revival meeting. The 2 storefronts are adjacent, but seperated by a cinderblock firewall.

The partner church will be the main venue and my friend's will be for overflow. He has asked me if I know how to get A/V fmr the main meeting to the overflow room.

If it weren't for the firewall, I'd run rca cables to a bigscreen TV from a camcorder.

I was searching for a way to stream the camcorder output over a wireless lan, but so far I haven't seen a method that looks like it works.

SO....is there a cheap way to do this?

I'll be glad to clarify anything you need to help me.
Larry Sheehan - San Gabriel Sound

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
Re: Stream video to overflow room?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »

So, here's what I think might work.

- Get a camera like a webcam (cheap).
- Get it showing what it sees on the desktop of a computer in the main room.
- Set that computer to allow a remote desktop session like what tech support guys use to debug a remote user's machine.
- From a computer in the overflow room, establish the remote desktop session toi the main room.
- Set the remote desktop session to fullscreen and send that to an external display (LCD TV) in the overflow room.

PROs
- No hassle with the cinderblock firewall.
- Cheap

Cons
- 802.11g may not be able to sustain the data rate required for full quality video/audio. May need to reduce video frame rate.

So, that's what I will set up for an experiment.

Any other ideas?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »

He has asked me if I know how to get A/V fmr the main meeting to the overflow room.

If it weren't for the firewall, I'd run rca cables to a bigscreen TV from a camcorder.

I was searching for a way to stream the camcorder output over a wireless lan, but so far I haven't seen a method that looks like it works.
Is the question how to get the audio and video from the main meeting room to next door or how to get the output of a camcorder to the room next door?  Those sound like two different things.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »

A friend is partnering with another storefront church to put on a revival meeting. The 2 storefronts are adjacent, but seperated by a cinderblock firewall.

The partner church will be the main venue and my friend's will be for overflow. He has asked me if I know how to get A/V fmr the main meeting to the overflow room.

SO....is there a cheap way to do this?

Breech the firewall, run cables for audio and video feeds (verify the need or lack of for plenum wire) then reseal the firewall with the appropriate firestop material, perhaps one of these:

http://www.dap.com/products.aspx?SubcatID=2

I'll bet if you look into it, there are many penetrations already in that wall such as sprinkler, water, electrical and phone/data lines that are already going through each unit that have been resealed to maintain the established fire rating.
This space for rent

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »

Is the question how to get the audio and video from the main meeting room to next door or how to get the output of a camcorder to the room next door?  Those sound like two different things.
Brad, they don't have a clue what to do, there's no existing AV equipment, so this will all be VERY ad hoc. I'm an audio guy who's trying to gelp our. I figured using a camcorder or webcam would solve the capture problem leaving the issue of getting it to the other room. Meanwhile I found some shareware VNC (video net client) that seems to be suitable if I go with the appraoch above. Going to test it at my studio Saturday using the keyboard sampler machine in the live room and one of the machines in the control room.

Lee, thanks for the pointer to the DAP product. That could make it even easier. I'll see ig I can get in there and pop a ceiling tile to see what penetrations already exist.

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »

So, the meeting was last night, and they just ran a cable around the back doors. Thanks anyhoo.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »

Great to see that you have a solution.

My preference would be to do a direct feed from a video camera and audio feed from the board.

The problem with doing a stream to an adjacent room or storefront is latency. Since they are adjacent, you could get some acoustic bleed between the spaces; hearing what you just heard 30 seconds ago (or whatever the digital latency is) could be very distracting.

While there would be somewhat of a delayed effect due to distance (tens of milliseconds?) even with a direct feed, I think it would be less distracting and could be subconsciously attributed to echo.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

Copper wire can't be beat. Get a licensed electrician to advise you about how to legally run cables through that wall. It can be done and usually pretty easily.

Justin LaFee

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 01:13:55 AM »

If you ever need to do this in the future there is a much easier way.  You'll need a PC with either a direct input or a capture card to get the signal from the camera, the rest is freeware.  Download VLC Player online (completely free software) and you can set up your own video stream from the capture card or camera to the receiving computer's IP address.  We used this last year when we had a series of funerals at our church with limited space, worked like a champ.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »

If you ever need to do this in the future there is a much easier way.  You'll need a PC with either a direct input or a capture card to get the signal from the camera, the rest is freeware.  Download VLC Player online (completely free software) and you can set up your own video stream from the capture card or camera to the receiving computer's IP address.  We used this last year when we had a series of funerals at our church with limited space, worked like a champ.
A good approach for some situations but I'm not sure how two computers, a video capture card, the network elements, etc. is necessarily easier than physical video and/or audio cable from Point A to Point B.  For that to work it also seems that the two spaces would have to be on the same network and thus they would need to run cable between the spaces anyways unless they went with wireless networking, which could negatively impact the quality and reliability.

Also keep in mind that streams accessible to remote and/or multiple end points may be considered broadcasting, which could get into copyrights issues if any copyrighted music or video is included in the content being streamed.  Related to that, broadcasting is typically not an issue with something like an overflow space in your own facility but a situation like this one would seem to technically be content being sent outside of one physical space and organization to another physically and organizationally separate entity and that could be a factor in whether it might be viewed as broadcasting.  That is one reason why some churches with satellite campuses broadcast only the sermon or message with all music performances, videos, etc. handled independently at each location.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.