ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to run a single Danley DBH 218 on a Crown Itech 5000HD  (Read 13192 times)

ryanboland

would this be advisable?

Power Ratings

2-ohm Dual (per ch), 20mS burst: 3,000W
    2-ohm Dual (per ch), 20Hz-20kHz: 2,000W
    2-ohm Dual (per ch), 1kHz: 2,000W
    4-ohm Dual (per ch): 2,500W
    8-ohm Dual (per ch): 1,250W
    4-ohm Bridge: 4,000W
    8-ohm Bridge: 5,000W

I would run it in stereo @ 4ohm driving each 18 at 4ohm

Looks like the Danley is 3600 watts and can be ran mono at 2 ohm or to each speaker seprately at 4ohm so I'm guessing that's 1800 watts per driver. Is my math correct?

Jake R. Trutt

Re: Looking to run a single Danley DBH 218 on a Crown Itech 5000HD
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »

I know this is an older post, but I'ma answer it for you...

I find it weird that the Itech has a higher stereo wattage per channel at 4 ohms than the bridged output. (5000 stereo vs 4000 bridged and I've seen it as low as 3600 bridged)

Like you suggested, the 2 4 ohm loads is the best bet. The DBH 218 has two NL4 inputs and can be run using 2 4 ohm loads instead of a single 2 ohm load. It would be 1800 per driver. It's simple division.

While the Danley is considered 3600, its program is 7200. I'd suggest trying to have 7200 so you have some headroom but the box has very high sensitivity so anywhere after 1000 is gonna be insanely loud. 5000 should work nicely though. I'd just go with the Itech 9000HD instead, as it'd get you 7000.

Is that Itech a 20/30 amp plug? Or a 15 (I highly doubt a 15 but if it is, then the 5000 would definitely be the one to go for).. I'd think the 9000/12000 would at least a 20 and most likely a 30.. But I'm not familiar with that series, mostly QSC amps being used on my end.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »

I know this is an older post, but I'ma answer it for you...

I find it weird that the Itech has a higher stereo wattage per channel at 4 ohms than the bridged output. (5000 stereo vs 4000 bridged and I've seen it as low as 3600 bridged)

Like you suggested, the 2 4 ohm loads is the best bet. The DBH 218 has two NL4 inputs and can be run using 2 4 ohm loads instead of a single 2 ohm load. It would be 1800 per driver. It's simple division.

While the Danley is considered 3600, its program is 7200. I'd suggest trying to have 7200 so you have some headroom but the box has very high sensitivity so anywhere after 1000 is gonna be insanely loud. 5000 should work nicely though. I'd just go with the Itech 9000HD instead, as it'd get you 7000.

Is that Itech a 20/30 amp plug? Or a 15 (I highly doubt a 15 but if it is, then the 5000 would definitely be the one to go for).. I'd think the 9000/12000 would at least a 20 and most likely a 30.. But I'm not familiar with that series, mostly QSC amps being used on my end.

I Techs are current-limited to meet specifications for AC power draw and the cord sets used and the amp design optimized for 4 ohm, 2 channel loading.  Because we're talking about current limiting, a user will be ahead to power ITechs at 208v-240v.

IIRC the 5000HD ships with a 20 amp IEC to 20 amp Edison cord in the USA.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

I would run the amp in the 2x4 ohm mode-so parallel the inputs.

With the Danley DBH218 BE SURE to set the switch in the 2x4 ohm position AND BE SURE to wire it correctly!!!!!!!!!!!

In the 2x4 ohm position-1 driver is on pins 1 and the other driver is on pins 2.

So you need a 4 conductor NL4 cable.

Make sure you have the proper polarities on the output of the amp. (ie + amp to + NL4 at speaker end.)

In the 1x2ohm position-both drivers are paralleled on pins 1. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »

would this be advisable?

Power Ratings

2-ohm Dual (per ch), 20mS burst: 3,000W
    2-ohm Dual (per ch), 20Hz-20kHz: 2,000W
    2-ohm Dual (per ch), 1kHz: 2,000W
    4-ohm Dual (per ch): 2,500W
    8-ohm Dual (per ch): 1,250W
    4-ohm Bridge: 4,000W
    8-ohm Bridge: 5,000W

I would run it in stereo @ 4ohm driving each 18 at 4ohm

Looks like the Danley is 3600 watts and can be ran mono at 2 ohm or to each speaker seprately at 4ohm so I'm guessing that's 1800 watts per driver. Is my math correct?

I put 8 DBH-218's each on their own iTech5000HD in a stadium a few year ago. At 600ft the impact was incredible. I did need to apply apply delay to the outer boxes a little to manage pattern collapse.  I much prefer this setup over TH812's, however output per $ wins with TH812...by a substantial amount.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »

I much prefer this setup over TH812's, however output per $ wins with TH812...by a substantial amount.

Why so, if you don't mind me asking?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »

Can I add my observations as well?

Tapped horns compared to more traditional folded horns, aren't quite as smooth in the time domain across the frequency spectrum.  A folded horn sounds to me at least to have better impulse response, and "hits" better. 

My favorite subs, especially in quantity, are th he DBH, DBH LC, and BC218.  For us with med/larger installs, having clean, deep, max impact bass is the goal.  We're willing to sacrifice physical size and weight. 

For us, using something between one DBH and 8+ BC218 or LC, covers nearly every application.  We fly the subs wherever possible. 

Tapped horns aren't bad by any stretch.  They seem to shine when one needs lots of output from a small physical box.

For output per dollar, If using outdoor weatherized  subs, yes the 812 is better.  For normal applications, the regular DBH is slightly better.

Caleb
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

Can I add my observations as well?

Tapped horns compared to more traditional folded horns, aren't quite as smooth in the time domain across the frequency spectrum.  A folded horn sounds to me at least to have better impulse response, and "hits" better. 

My favorite subs, especially in quantity, are th he DBH, DBH LC, and BC218.  For us with med/larger installs, having clean, deep, max impact bass is the goal.  We're willing to sacrifice physical size and weight. 

For us, using something between one DBH and 8+ BC218 or LC, covers nearly every application.  We fly the subs wherever possible. 

Tapped horns aren't bad by any stretch.  They seem to shine when one needs lots of output from a small physical box.

For output per dollar, If using outdoor weatherized  subs, yes the 812 is better.  For normal applications, the regular DBH is slightly better.

Caleb
And I would add-It depends on what you are after or what the goal is.

The TH812 is a VERY smooth sounding box-that will get really loud.

There are various other Danley products that are regular horns (as mentioned) and I agree they do "hit better".

So what are you after? Accurate reproduction or fun?  Most people would say both-but in reality when the sound system is "fun" it is rarely accurate. 

But in most cases where loud is the goal-then "fun" is also the goal.  Very rarely are people in those situations looking for "smooth jazz" :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »

Frederik,
I am sure there are many variables between the DBH-218 system I installed and the many TH-812 systems I have put in, so like anything my responses are quite subjective. 

The DBH-218 seemed to distribute more evenly in the stadium (single end zone system).  Maybe is was mind games because it looked really good in the model, but I really thought it was quite even over the seating area.  The 8 wide horizontal array 218 system collapsed the pattern just enough, to have a coverage pattern didn't kill the people up close (on the sides) but had enough "throw" to put SPL in the seats on the other side of the field...and on the field (which is all the team wants to hear..."more bass").   I distinctly remember sitting in the seats on the far side of the field worrying about the structural integrity of the concrete bleachers I was sitting on.

I have done a handful of TH-812 installs in stadiums after this DBH-218 install. While the 812 is a really good box, it never left me with the same feeling of the 218 system.  I think the deployments in these stadiums is critical to match the coverage pattern or the array to the stadium.   I have deployed 812s in numerous methods, 2 boxes - one in-front of the other by 5ft to make a cardioid, 2 boxes size by side - ports touching, 4 boxes - 2 over 2, and 4 boxes in a vertical line. Of these, I personally thought that the 4 boxes in a vertical column had the most even response in the stadium, but unfortunately I had to cross these over around 45Hz because it was literally shaking the sheet metal off the sign.

There is more to getting decent bass in stadiums besides simply picking a number of boxes. There is a common trend in stadium installations to have speaker cabinets on both sides of the video board, and putting subs in both cabinets.  I really really try to avoid this as the results on low frequency (and even above 100Hz...another topic) are greatly effected.
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:34 AM »

My favorite subs, especially in quantity, are th he DBH, DBH LC, and BC218. 

Caleb

I think you have an unhealthy relationship with 18"s

So where do you have the BC218's at...didn't they come out a few "not yets" ago?
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.