ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Comments, compliments, complaints -- how you know you're doing your job  (Read 9234 times)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Comments, compliments, complaints -- how you know you're doing your job
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »

I think there is also a level past positive, that also elicits no response.  If we are really doing our jobs right, 99% of the audience won't even be conscious of sound reinforcement happening at all.  They won't know we are there.  That is what I try to achieve.  Invisibility.

Hello Jason, +1
   While this is a true-ism, that " 99% of the audience won't even be conscious of sound reinforcement"  if we are doing our jobs properly...

I also think that there are some attendees that are not swept up in the music/moment, and can distinguish a better than acceptable ability of the Artist(s) and crew to hit a higher level of combined performance.

I'm sure its fairly rare...but, I have experienced a few shows where the performance and it's ambience  was the perfect fit.

Kinda like Ms. Baez, her vocal mic and her guitar. :)

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

I think there is also a level past positive, that also elicits no response.  If we are really doing our jobs right, 99% of the audience won't even be conscious of sound reinforcement happening at all.  They won't know we are there.  That is what I try to achieve.  Invisibility.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »

I think the best compliment for me when I'm behind the board is when the musicians get a lot of compliments from the audience. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:51:10 AM »

I was going to say it might even have something to do with the part of the world you live in or work in. That would limit my reply though because only Tim, Charlie and myself actually live somewhere according to our credentials. Shame on you Dick.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »

I was going to say it might even have something to do with the part of the world you live in or work in. That would limit my reply though because only Tim, Charlie and myself actually live somewhere according to our credentials. Shame on you Dick.

Bob's on a mission...to know exactly where all of you live.

Non-Compliance is futile, your Audio licenses are hearby revolked until you comply with the directive.   Installing, maintaining, or driving an Audio rig, of any size or description, while unlicensed,  will be met with severe penalties.    8)

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »

I've found that there are three possible audience responses to the job I do running FOH:
  • Something about the sound was bad
  • No comments at all
  • Positive comments

Any negative comments at all, it means that I didn't meet expectations. For every person that complains, there may be ten others that feel the same.

No comments at all, I figure it was at least acceptable, but there was probably still someone who had trouble hearing or understanding or didn't like the mix but was too polite to mention it.

Positive comments, it exceeded their expectations and maybe was better than the last show they went to. On the other hand, it means they noticed the sound, and that's not supposed to happen! The show is NOT about me, it's about the performance. Good sound is paramount to a good performance, and a good FOH engineer is an artist; but the attention should be toward the headliner not the supporting acts.
I think this depends on the audience a bit.  If the show is has a wide audience demographic, that often appears in the preferences of the attendees too.  In that circumstance, I'm thrilled to have no comments at all, or bookmatched comments - "the vocals are too loud"/"the vocals are too quiet".

I agree with Taylor that if the band gets the kudos, I've done my job.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »

OK Bob - I added my location a few weeks ago, it's visible in my profile, but isn't showing up on the posts.  Where else do I have to put it or what box haven't I checked that I need to?

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »

OK Bob - I added my location a few weeks ago, it's visible in my profile, but isn't showing up on the posts.  Where else do I have to put it or what box haven't I checked that I need to?
Put it in your "Personal Text". The "Location" is only seen if someone clicks on your profile.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »

Put it in your "Personal Text". The "Location" is only seen if someone clicks on your profile.
I just did that too - Thanks for the tip!

Mike Reilly

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

"We don't want the music to be heard.  We just want people to SEE you."

:o  ? ? ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.