ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Comments, compliments, complaints -- how you know you're doing your job  (Read 9230 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)

I've found that there are three possible audience responses to the job I do running FOH:
  • Something about the sound was bad
  • No comments at all
  • Positive comments

Any negative comments at all, it means that I didn't meet expectations. For every person that complains, there may be ten others that feel the same.

No comments at all, I figure it was at least acceptable, but there was probably still someone who had trouble hearing or understanding or didn't like the mix but was too polite to mention it.

Positive comments, it exceeded their expectations and maybe was better than the last show they went to. On the other hand, it means they noticed the sound, and that's not supposed to happen! The show is NOT about me, it's about the performance. Good sound is paramount to a good performance, and a good FOH engineer is an artist; but the attention should be toward the headliner not the supporting acts.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Comments, compliments, complaints -- how you know you're doing your job
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »

I've found that there are three possible audience responses to the job I do running FOH:
  • Something about the sound was bad
  • No comments at all
  • Positive comments

Any negative comments at all, it means that I didn't meet expectations. For every person that complains, there may be ten others that feel the same.

No comments at all, I figure it was at least acceptable, but there was probably still someone who had trouble hearing or understanding or didn't like the mix but was too polite to mention it.

Positive comments, it exceeded their expectations and maybe was better than the last show they went to. On the other hand, it means they noticed the sound, and that's not supposed to happen! The show is NOT about me, it's about the performance. Good sound is paramount to a good performance, and a good FOH engineer is an artist; but the attention should be toward the headliner not the supporting acts.

The bolded text is what I'm addressing... it could mean that the audience is so accustomed to shit sound that they are commenting on the obvious improvement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »

The bolded text is what I'm addressing... it could mean that the audience is so accustomed to shit sound that they are commenting on the obvious improvement.

After many years of s*** sound at a local pan-ethnic festival I got tired of it and brought my own small rig for use in my sets.  After the first such set one of the organizers came running up all out of breath and said that she could hear everything very clearly.  I thought that was just great until she added, "We don't want the music to be heard.  We just want people to SEE you."

What can you do........ 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »

Yeah, but isn't that tantamount to saying you should do a *worse* job so your great sound isn't noticed?

Gee, I think that show *is* about you. The quality of a show is only as good as the weakest link. The musicians/performers need to do their part as best they can, the lighting crew needs to do the job as best they can, and you need to do your job as best you can. Everyone should attempt to provide a "stand-out" performance because that's what's going to make the show great.

And besides, I've found that most people who come up to me and compliment me on the sound either have a vested interest in the sound quality (e.g., the talent's manager) or they're sound people themselves.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »

Agreed with Tim.  It all depends on the situation.  Maybe the gig you are doing was already "up to par" before you arrived at the scene of the crime.  Or maybe you are a miracle worker (in their eyes).  And there is always the possibility you aren't at the same level as the guy who came before you.  Or maybe you just aren't that good.  Period.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:57:46 PM by Chris Davis »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »

Agreed with Tim.  It all depends on the situation.  Maybe the gig you are doing was already "up to par" before you arrived at the scene of the crime.  Or maybe you are a miracle worker (in their eyes).  And there is always the possibility you aren't at the same level as the guy who came before you.  Or maybe you just aren't that good.  Period.

I think an qualitative equivalent of Newtons Third Law is apt here.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Comments, compliments, complaints --
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »

Hello,

"You can never satisfy everyone...but, the person most critical in satisfying, is the one that signs your paycheck."  Milton Berle

Even if you're the worst sound tech out there....you'll get a good indication if you're doing your part by the reaction of the attendees. "Even if the artists suck...they'll suck better!"  :P   ....that's an industry standard saying...

Cheers,
   Hammer

ps. if you want a fantastic live recording....call Mr. Dick Rees ...I'm quite sure he's one of the best live mixers out there!
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »

Hello,

"You can never satisfy everyone...but, the person most critical in satisfying, is the one that signs your paycheck."  Milton Berle

Even if you're the worst sound tech out there....you'll get a good indication if you're doing your part by the reaction of the attendees. "Even if the artists suck...they'll suck better!"  :P   ....that's an industry standard saying...

Cheers,
   Hammer

ps. if you want a fantastic live recording....call Mr. Dick Rees ...I'm quite sure he's one of the best live mixers out there!

Charlie....

You may be risking your credibility here, but I'll take the compliment any day.

And who knows what I could do if I ever get more than a line check........

DR
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:04:59 PM by dick rees »

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »

Hello,

Cheers,
   Hammer

Charlie....

You may be risking your credibility here, but I'll take the compliment any day.

And who knows what I could do if I ever get more than a line check........

DR

Doh!

I did bring into question...my credibility... I meant one of the best "Live Recording Mixers" out there.... and that, I will swear to.  I have proof.  (no means taking anything away from your "live mixing" ability)

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »

I think there is also a level past positive, that also elicits no response.  If we are really doing our jobs right, 99% of the audience won't even be conscious of sound reinforcement happening at all.  They won't know we are there.  That is what I try to achieve.  Invisibility.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.