ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy Amp Question...  (Read 6722 times)

Michael Yates

Crazy Amp Question...
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:12:49 PM »

I should probably know the answer to this question but I am looking at putting a small subwoofer in the youth room at my church “Not a very big room” such as the PROEL - EX12SP. My question is I have a 1980s Peavey Mark V M-3000 power amp laying around and I would like to push the sub with it. Is this possible being that the amp is so old?

Jeff Bankston

Re: Crazy Amp Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:00:49 AM »

my main amps are qsc 3500 and qsc 3800. iirc the newest one was made in 1990 and the oldest was made in 1985. i run most in bridged mono driving 4 ohm loads. all depends on ? < and i dont have an answer for the ? if it works good use it. check the power cord for crack outer jacket and inner conductor insulation.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:13:24 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »

I should probably know the answer to this question but I am looking at putting a small subwoofer in the youth room at my church “Not a very big room” such as the PROEL - EX12SP. My question is I have a 1980s Peavey Mark V M-3000 power amp laying around and I would like to push the sub with it. Is this possible being that the amp is so old?
There may actually be several aspects to this and one of them is your goals.  You didn't mention what the rest of the system or how it is used and it is not clear what you hope to achieve by adding a subwoofer.  With a stated frequency response of 55-160Hz (no limits given), a sensitivity of 96dB/1W/1m and a power rating of 150W continuous and 300W  peak (no idea why the peak is just twice the continuous), the EX12SP may help if you have small mains but would seem limited in the potential benefit to many systems.

Another aspect is how you plan to wire everything.  That includes possibly addressing a single sub with a stereo system and how you plan to low pass the subwoofer and high pass the mains.  The EX12SP has an internal passive crossover that provides a low pass for the subwoofer and a high pass output for the mains but it is passive with the typical application being a sub between the amp output and each associated main.  The 160Hz corner frequency of the internal crossover is again probably more appropriate for very small mains and may also suggest using a separate crossover for other situations, however the low pass, 12dB/octave aspect for the subwoofer also cannot be easily bypassed, so you may have to consider that.  In any case, you'd have to figure out how to make the single sub with its internal passive crossover work in your system.

Assuming you make all the above work, then you have an 8 Ohm, 150W continuous/300W peak rated speaker and an amp that clips at 130W RMS into 8 Ohms (1% THD, 1kHz).  So it may not be a bad match, but that goes back to the first question of what you are trying to do.

Michael Yates

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

I should have included that but did not think about it. It’s a small youth room 22 x 18. The system is just to play music from ipod’s and cd’s. Maybe a acoustic guitar and a mic every now and then.

The system components would be:
Main:  Gemini - RS-408
Sub:  Proel - EX12SP
Amp: Peavey M-3000

Ipod would go into the Gemini via RCA, XLR out of the Gemini to XLR in on the Peavey, ¼” out on Peavey to speakon in on the Proel.

I do understand correctly about the Proel… It has a built in crossover so a external crossover is not necessary? Just go from the amp to the sub?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »

I should have included that but did not think about it. It’s a small youth room 22 x 18. The system is just to play music from ipod’s and cd’s. Maybe a acoustic guitar and a mic every now and then.

The system components would be:
Main:  Gemini - RS-408
Sub:  Proel - EX12SP
Amp: Peavey M-3000

Ipod would go into the Gemini via RCA, XLR out of the Gemini to XLR in on the Peavey, ¼” out on Peavey to speakon in on the Proel.

I do understand correctly about the Proel… It has a built in crossover so a external crossover is not necessary? Just go from the amp to the sub?

Michael...

I took a peek at the Gemini literature on that model and see no mention of a built-in crossover.  It is more common for the crossover to be built into a powered sub, then fed to the tops.  So it looks like you'd need an external crossover to use the ProEl.

But you'll need to be able to supply the full-range signal to the crossover for it to properly divide and feed the signal to the speakers.  That means that you won't be able to use the "Ipod" inputs on the Gemini top and have the signal go to the sub without a separate mixer.  The signal chain you're looking for is:

sound source > mixer > crossover> sub/top

Or if you buy a Gemini sub

http://www.geminidj.com/gvx-sub12p

you can go thus:

sound source > mixer > sub > top
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:36:59 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.