ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: flying qsc hpr's. m10 rigging questions  (Read 17983 times)

Steven warner

flying qsc hpr's. m10 rigging questions
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

are m10 rigging kits from qsc that include 3 eye bolts and cost $40 have special threads or can I pick some up at my local hardware store?
       $80 seems a bit steep for 6 bolts just wondering......

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: flying qsc hpr's. m10 rigging questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »

are m10 rigging kits from qsc that include 3 eye bolts and cost $40 have special threads or can I pick some up at my local hardware store?

"Due to the use of flying hardware other than the manufacturer mandated and supplied pieces we must unfortunately deny your claim."

Sincerely.....

Your insurance company
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »

Those are forged metric shoulder eye bolts with special length threads. Not your everyday Home Depot eyebolts. Most local hardware stores don't carry them. 

What's couple of extra dollars when it comes to suspending speakers safely.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:01 AM »

Dick's response is spot on.  This is the cost of transferring liability to the manufacturer, presuming you followed their instructions for the installation of the hardware.  If you then do stupid stuff using their hardware you're still on the hook.

Or think about it this way... if a speaker fell on a member of your family and seriously injured or killed them, would you take comfort from the owner having used less expensive materials than what was directed by the speaker manufacturer?  No, you'd sue the fuck out them... and that is what will happen to you, should you use inferior materials and incorrect flying methods that result in personal injury or death.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gary Creely

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »

Those are forged metric shoulder eye bolts with special length threads. Not your everyday Home Depot eyebolts. Most local hardware stores don't carry them. 

What's couple of extra dollars when it comes to suspending speakers safely.

I go through a lot of these, and always feel like I am getting ripped off. They are indeed hard to find and I typically get mine from community because they are about the same price for a kit, but they give 4 bolts rather than 3.

This liability bit is a bit overstated. If you use a M10 forged shouldered eyebolt that is load rated (most are) their will be no liability issue. The problem is they are hard to come by. Speaker manufactures used to use 3/8 (about $1.50 each) rather than M10, but then people would use bent iloops and such, not intended for overhead suspension.

Much of what I hang is single 40-100lbs boxes. A forged M10 is good for at least 1200lbs WLL. So I have potentially 3600lbs of strength to hold a 100lbs speaker. Long story short the eye bolt is not going to be the weak link. You just need do be sure the tread is long enough, and it is in fact a forged shoulder eyebolt.

After saying all that I have yet to find them much cheaper than the speaker manufacture sells them for.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

This liability bit is a bit overstated. If you use a M10 forged shouldered eyebolt that is load rated (most are) their (sic) will be no liability issue.

What are your professional qualifications for making such a statement?  Just checking...... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

You can't find them at your typical local hardware store, but they're definitely available.  I have 12 of these, and use them with my HPR122's:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KEN-FORGING-Eyebolt-3XTD2?Pid=search
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Gary Creely

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »

What are your professional qualifications for making such a statement?  Just checking......

I am a partner in an AVL integration company that carries Multi-million dollar contractor liability insurance. I have used thousands of forged shouldered eye bolts of varying stripes with not one failure. This is how I earn a living.

Can you document a time where a set of forged shouldered properly sized bolts failed causing a catastrophic rigging failure, and it was found the the issue was that the bolts were not supplied by the speaker manufacturer?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »

Can you document a time where a set of forged shouldered properly sized bolts failed causing a catastrophic rigging failure, and it was found the the issue was that the bolts were not supplied by the speaker manufacturer?
The issue is not only whether the hardware could be the cause of failure but also whether in the event of any failure or problem it could shift liability to you.  It doesn't seem out of the question for the fact that you used hardware other than that made and approved for the purpose, and so stated in the manual, to then release the manufacturer from any related liability.

Another potential component of this is what is required for any alternative hardware to be considered comparable to that offered by the manufacturer.  It might be one thing if one used hardware that was directly equivalent to rather than just similar to that offered by the manufacturer.  Has anyone verified what would be required to be directly equivalent or superior to the hardware in the QSC kit in terms of the thread length, material, WLL and so on?  Has anyone had a registered Professional Engineer verify or certify any alternative hardware for the application?  Or is what being used simply similar to what is in the QSC kit?

Finally, by the time one invests not only the cost of the hardware but also the effort to determine what would be comparable to the eyebolts, conical washers and spacers in the QSC kit and to find and procure for such hardware, how much are you actually saving?  I don't really know but at least in smaller quantities I would guess the actual total investment might not represent that significant of a savings.

Dean Wells

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »

I would say this is the qualifying statement.. Local hardware store is not the best source for rated items.
The Grainger source, and others, is a step in the right direction.

However, good general rigging practice dictates using properly rated/labeled shtuff, regardless of the source. And at some point, you have to mix brands anyway-QSC does not make spansets, or eyebolts for that matter.

What if the parts puller at QSC shipped the wrong eyebolts, and they were used because they are "manufacturer provided" resulting in failure?

Just know what is the right tool for the job is all.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:04:39 AM by Dean Wells »

Miller capacitance in bipolar output devices was a vector for distortion from high PS edge rates.  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.