ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer Vista 5  (Read 13173 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Lotsa mixes
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »

I know I'm shining my newbie light on when I ask this, but how does one use 36 different mixes? (with 20 being stereo).

I've never done any high end corporate work so clearly I'm missing something. Do the video feeds need that much a different mix?

In a word, yes. I am providing audio for 8 different video feeds that are program video from 6 different live venues, and 2 foreign language feeds that do not have interpretation mixed over the foreign speakers. Each of those 8 feeds gets 2 stereo mixes, 1 mixed stereo program with stereo audience reaction mixed in, 1 split track with mono program on L and mono audience reaction on R. There are 4 spare stereo mixes for "Oh by the way". I also provide 4 mono english translation mixes for press, 2 mono mixes to interpretation so they can do 2 venues at a time, 5 webcasts, and 3 iso record feeds. The 8 video feeds with 4 tracks each are routed to many destinations in the building as well as the broadcast pool, and 3 record decks per feed.

When you need the flexibility to change any feed at any time you really need a lot of aux sends.

Mac

Chris Buford

• SR Forums
  • Richmond, VA
    • My Website
Re: Lotsa mixes
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »

In a word, yes. I am providing audio for 8 different video feeds that are program video from 6 different live venues, and 2 foreign language feeds that do not have interpretation mixed over the foreign speakers.

Wow. Thanks for explaining that. Makes an all day festival seem like a walk in the park.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

Wow. Thanks for explaining that. Makes an all day festival seem like a walk in the park.

An all day festival is a lot more work, this just needs a lot of preproduction and  a lot of mix buses (and 3 days of load in for 4 days of events).

Mac

Marcus Thiel

• otonmusic.de
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

haven't figured out how it deals with different configs, but I have confirmed that I can add mix buses and control channels to create a new config, and when I load my console layout into it nothing is screwed up.

as Studer explained it to me, it is not possible to do configs like Mix Busses etc. without the config software, witch is NOT Virtual Vista.

But if you want to change the physical configuration, changing cards etc., then you need to recompile the internal system software. This means that you need a copy of the compiler software. Also mentioned, was the need to make sure, that your VV is the same as that used when the config was compiled. That's how it was explained to me. So far this console looks to be very impressive.

You can only share Files between Consoles that have EXACT the same configuration. And the configuration software (here in Germany) is a few thousand Euros.

so really take care you have somebody who really is into the Software etc., to show what is working and what is impossible to achieve ... the desk is really impressive, but the configuration is a real drawback for "normal" use and fast configurations.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

as Studer explained it to me, it is not possible to do configs like Mix Busses etc. without the config software, witch is NOT Virtual Vista.

That is correct. The config software is not Virtual Vista.

Mac
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:00:16 PM by Mac Kerr »

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »

haven't figured out how it deals with different configs, but I have confirmed that I can add mix buses and control channels to create a new config, and when I load my console layout into it nothing is screwed up.

But if you want to change the physical configuration, changing cards etc., then you need to recompile the internal system software. This means that you need a copy of the compiler software. Also mentioned, was the need to make sure, that your VV is the same as that used when the config was compiled. That's how it was explained to me. So far this console looks to be very impressive.

You can only share Files between Consoles that have EXACT the same configuration. And the configuration software (here in Germany) is a few thousand Euros.

so really take care you have somebody who really is into the Software etc., to show what is working and what is impossible to achieve ... the desk is really impressive, but the configuration is a real drawback for "normal" use and fast configurations.

Hi Marcus,

I see you appear to have quoted me. In reply. The config software is a compiler from Analogue Devices, and it does cost a few thousand Euros for a single user licence. Ouch! I forgot to ask if every console purchaser gets it as part of their purchase. Do you or Mac know? In regard to the "EXACT SAME" spec. Does this also apply to interface card positions in the frame?

Regards.

Iain.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:50:35 AM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »

Hi Marcus,

I see you appear to have quoted me. In reply. The config software is a compiler from Analogue Devices, and it does cost a few thousand Euros for a single user licence. Ouch! I forgot to ask if every console purchaser gets it as part of their purchase. Do you or Mac know? In regard to the "EXACT SAME" spec. Does this also apply to interface card positions in the frame?

Regards.

Iain.

The real compiler is on the console. There is a version of the config software that does not do the final compiling, but which you can use to create a config to be compiled on the console. When the console recognizes cards in various D21 I/O frames it loads the interface channels in order left to right from the lowest numbered box to highest. Since interface numbers do not relate to control channel positions on the console the numbering is really about record keeping and identifying ports. Placing control channels into positions on the control surface is a separate operation. It is really quite flexible.

I was able to load a show file into a different configuration that just had more mix buses. The software just added the empty buses where you would expect them and kept the rest of my show file intact.

I have not yet built the hardware part of the system to test my configs on a real console.

Mac

Marcus Thiel

• otonmusic.de
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Hi Marcus,

Regards.

Iain.

first Question, NO, you have to purchase the Compiler separately. And it alos should have the same cards in the same slots, but that, as Mac confirms, is easier to patch.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »

The real compiler is on the console. There is a version of the config software that does not do the final compiling, but which you can use to create a config to be compiled on the console. When the console recognizes cards in various D21 I/O frames it loads the interface channels in order left to right from the lowest numbered box to highest. Since interface numbers do not relate to control channel positions on the console the numbering is really about record keeping and identifying ports. Placing control channels into positions on the control surface is a separate operation. It is really quite flexible.

I was able to load a show file into a different configuration that just had more mix buses. The software just added the empty buses where you would expect them and kept the rest of my show file intact.

I have not yet built the hardware part of the system to test my configs on a real console.

Mac

I have now built the hardware part of the console, and compiled the system software on the control surface.  Still a few bugs to work out, but so far so good.

The sCore config tool is basically the same as the licensed copy on the console, but since you are working with it offline it can't locate the hardware or distribute the DSP, but you can create a config to put on the console and let the console compile it.

Paul Shorter at Studer Soundcraft in Northridge CA was a tremendous help with the details that aren't really covered in the manual. This coming week I will be tweaking my set up and starting to test the hardware.

I hope this all goes as smoothly as I want it to.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.