ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-channel transmission over long distances  (Read 8730 times)

Carlos del Valle

Multi-channel transmission over long distances
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »

Hello all

I have an event coming where I need to send 12ch of audio over 350 meters. I have doubts on wich is the best way to do this. My best guess is Ethersound, with switches to "reamplify" the signal every 100m.

Is there any other method of transmitting multichannel audio over long distances, without reamplification? Is there a ethersound over fiber optic protocol (optocore)? I recall reading something about it somewhere but I can't find it now...

Thanks,

C.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Multi-channel transmission over long distances
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »

Hello all

I have an event coming where I need to send 12ch of audio over 350 meters. I have doubts on wich is the best way to do this. My best guess is Ethersound, with switches to "reamplify" the signal every 100m.

Is there any other method of transmitting multichannel audio over long distances, without reamplification? Is there a ethersound over fiber optic protocol (optocore)? I recall reading something about it somewhere but I can't find it now...

Thanks,

C.

Analog isn't a problem. I'm working on an outdoor install and we have run 6-pair Aquaseal cable all around the property, and one run is 750m. With isolation transformers it's working great.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

I have run analog audio as much as 3000' over standard multipair cable. I might hesitate to run mic level that distance, but with any digital system you are going to have to have a preamp before the transmission system anyway, I'd stick with analog multicable unless I was just looking for an excuse to buy an expensive digital multi like Rocknet or Optocore.

Mac

Mark Oakley

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »

I too have run analog line-level signals 1000 ft. (with iso transformers at the recieving end). Dead quiet; not a hint of noise.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:47:50 AM »

I have run analog audio as much as 3000' over standard multipair cable. I might hesitate to run mic level that distance, but with any digital system you are going to have to have a preamp before the transmission system anyway, I'd stick with analog multicable unless I was just looking for an excuse to buy an expensive digital multi like Rocknet or Optocore.

Mac

Hi Mac-

The Study Hall used to have an article by Chuck McGregor on "Driving Really Looooong Lines."  Is there a way for us to get some of these "legacy" article back into the SH?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Carlos del Valle

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:20:04 AM »

My main concern is running 12 channel multipair 350m. Buying a snake that long would be expensive, and connecting 4 100m runs would be too much interconnection in between. I was looking for a digital solution because it's only one cable, and I can make redundancy...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

My main concern is running 12 channel multipair 350m. Buying a snake that long would be expensive, and connecting 4 100m runs would be too much interconnection in between. I was looking for a digital solution because it's only one cable, and I can make redundancy...

Is this a permanent install? A gig you will do again and again? If not, rent the multi. Four 250' 15pr trunks should be no big deal at the shops I deal with, and good quality multipin connections do not degrade the signal.

If it is permanent, buy a 1000' spool and install it. If it is a repeating gig, the 12pr will be a little cheaper than digital, but digital will be easier to load in/out. You will have to make the call on how you want to spend your money. The 2 systems I linked to previously would be my recommendation, or maybe a Stagetec Nexus.

Mac
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:40:38 AM by Mac Kerr »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »

In my opinion, digital interconnections every 100m are more problematic than analog ones - using a bunch of cheap ethernet switches as repeaters is not going to be a better solution, which leaves fiber.  Fiber is fragile, expensive, and requires media converters and/or expensive boxes on both ends.  It can work, but how are you protecting it?  Is this an indoor event where you can fly the cable, or is this outside in the mud being driven over by golf carts all day?

If you're buying all this, no matter what way you slice it, analog will be cheaper, and probably more reliable.  You can buy the wire and jacks to build your own 1000' 12-channel snake for between $1000 - $2000 depending on what wire you use.  You may be able to rent something digital cheaper, but I doubt it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

Hello all

Thanks,

C.

If you go Ethersound, there are a number of industrial-strength RF solutions for packet data transmission.  How much end to end latency is tolerable?

Also, is this a "solid" 350m run, i.e. there are no taps along the run for signal distribution?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

Hello all

Thanks,

C.
350m of analog line level is not a problem. Just throw a transformer on the receiving end.
If you insist on fibre, a cheap possible solution would be a AVIOM setup with a pair of http://www.lightviper.com/LV%20Series%2032/lvseries32ef2.html

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.