ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Db t10 experiences  (Read 7289 times)

Thomas Lamb

Db t10 experiences
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

Hello all,
I'm looking for people who have had experiences with db audioteknik t10's. Specifically if you have done anything with 1 or 2 a side on sticks. If so with proper subs what were you able to do? 100 peeps 200 peeps. If you have experience with bigger rigs how many boxes a side for what size venue. What were your impresions? It will be used for a five piece band. Yes I know about q series I have used them often. T is what I'm interested in right now.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
Re: Db t10 experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »

What genre of music do you play?
What are your typical venues like?

I put together a system of 22 T10s (4 B2s) for my former employer, a private university in Southern California. The goal was to be able to do speech and orchestral/chorale music for 8000 for their outdoor graduation or concerts for 2500 in their gymnasium, and then have the flexibility for the system to be broken up for everything else that required less of a rig.

3 per side on sticks with the cluster brackets and a B2 in the center was our target system for 2-300 person outdoor concerts for college bands we had a couple times a month. Everything I've heard from my friends who still work there is that the system has been fantastic for that application. Depending on your genre and SPL requirements you should have more than enough system for that small crowd size.

Only 1 per side isn't something I would use for music if you're going for a "concert" feel. A single box just lacks the low frequency girth you would typically want.

As far as general observations (I did a fairly extensive comparison between the Q and T-series systems, as they were the two best systems in the small/medium sized line-array market) they're fantastic boxes that sound really good and get loud for being so tiny.  They lack the girth of a larger box, but depending on your end goal and coupled with quality subs, that's not a problem for most music. Also, the high end is a bit more in your face than the Q's, it's not harsh, just more present.

Remember these boxes are 110deg wide as a line source and 90deg wide as a point source, so if you're playing narrow spaces you'll want to consider that.

If you want some more specific information, I can get you the contact info for my guys who are using them all the time.
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »

Thank you for your observations Mark.

This will be used for a church who wants a similar scaleable option. The style is rock. With good musicians and we want a quality sound. We currently use all danley which we love. However, it does not fit our plans in terms of scaleability. We will however probably stick with danley subs since we already own quite a few th115 and think they will work fine with t or q either way. I know I can do 200 with a single q per side. Wil it take 2 t's or 3. If it's 3 that would push me back towards q since i can almost get 2 of those for close to the same price and I know what that will sound like.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

This will be used for a church who wants a similar scaleable option. The style is rock. With good musicians and we want a quality sound. We currently use all danley which we love. However, it does not fit our plans in terms of scaleability. We will however probably stick with danley subs since we already own quite a few th115 and think they will work fine with t or q either way. I know I can do 200 with a single q per side. Wil it take 2 t's or 3. If it's 3 that would push me back towards q since i can almost get 2 of those for close to the same price and I know what that will sound like.

I'm somewhat in the same situation - looking at the T-series. The problem with the Q, for me at least, is that it is not as scalable as the T, since it requires different types of cabinets (Q1's and Q7's) while with the T-series I could just keep one item in the warehouse for all possible applications...

At the same time I'm in the process of making a Danley-rig as my "large" rig aiming for 4 x SH46 and 4 x TH118, which I estimate it will take at least 8 x T10 pr. side to match (for tops). Argh - all these options...

Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »

This will be used for a church who wants a similar scalable option. The style is rock. With good musicians and we want a quality sound. We currently use all danley which we love. However, it does not fit our plans in terms of scalability. We will however probably stick with danley subs since we already own quite a few th115 and think they will work fine with t or q either way. I know I can do 200 with a single q per side. Wil it take 2 t's or 3. If it's 3 that would push me back towards q since i can almost get 2 of those for close to the same price and I know what that will sound like.

For worship rock music the T10 would be a good fit. The system I put in was at Biola University and the majority of the music supported is that same kind of music.

When you talk about scalability are you looking to be able to scale upwards? If so then I would look at the T10s. If you're only looking to scale downwards, then it's just as simple as turning things down with Q7s or Q10s.

With the T10s if you're going to use more than 1 box per side then you're probably going to use them in an Arc/Line configuration. With a 15ish deg vertical dispersion, you'll probably need at least 3 boxes to have the vertical coverage you need. You might have enough SPL with 2 boxes, but I doubt you'll have the coverage you need.
Mark Sexton

Alive Media

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

I'm somewhat in the same situation - looking at the T-series. The problem with the Q, for me at least, is that it is not as scalable as the T, since it requires different types of cabinets (Q1's and Q7's) while with the T-series I could just keep one item in the warehouse for all possible applications...

At the same time I'm in the process of making a Danley-rig as my "large" rig aiming for 4 x SH46 and 4 x TH118, which I estimate it will take at least 8 x T10 pr. side to match (for tops). Argh - all these options...
That's one of the big considerations I had to look at when I was putting together the system. It was going to take more boxes, more storage, and more money to put together a Q system that would have the flexibility of the T system I put together. The Ts could handle all but maybe 1 or 2 events the school would do over a 5 year period, so we just decided we'd rent if for some reason the T's were rejected by a band.

Another great thing about the T's is that they're really really light and easy to rig. I can rig 4 boxes at a time and it only weights about 100lbs. It only takes about a half hour with one guy to dead hang 8 per side with a lift, probably faster with motors. The light weight allows for smaller rigging, which allows for an overall faster setup and strike.
Mark Sexton

Alive Media

Sheldon Gooi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:52 AM »

We've got 16 T10s and 8 QSubs. And the really good thing is that they are so flexible.
Depends on the music style, we've done 2 per side with 1 sub per side for about 100 people with a jazz band. Also done louder pop bands outdoors with 8 + 4 per side. Also did a dance party with the full system. Subs stacked 4 high - it was really amazing, loud & clean.

Early Jan we did a expo hall 50m x 50m x 10m high, we did a kick-off event with recorded music, 7x T10 per side, 2x TSub per side, 1x J-Sub per side (our QSubs were rented out). Not quite ready for live rock music in this size hall, but client was really happy with the level, coverage and sound quality.
In Singapore, we call this the chilli padi system. chilli padi is a really tiny chilli, but really hot. So nice & small speakers that don't block the video screens (clients like this a lot), but deliver loud & pristine audio when needed.
I strongly recommend them.
I would recommend a complete system, rather than mix & match, so you can remote control the D12 amps & tweak your levels during the show. really handy.

Luke Kehrwald

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »

We own 6 of the T10 boxes and are looking to expand to 12 at least.  We primarily use them 3 per side in the arc configuration with the array bracket and I have been very pleased with the sound quality and volume.  In this configuration with subs I think they will work perfectly for worship rock music as long as the 110 degree coverage works will in your venue.

We have also used them 1 per side in the point source configuration with subs for very small concerts.  They will cover 50' deep before dropping off significantly and as long as your desired SPL is not super high they will probably work for 100 people.  200 people with rock music will be pushing it and you will be hitting the limiters a lot.  Also we use the D12 amp not the D6.

Make sure that you use them in their cut mode which puts a filter in at 125hz I believe.  Without the cut mode enabled low frequencies from a bass guitar or kick drum cause a port compression noise that sounds like flapping.  After much discussion and research with the local D&B guys in NC we determined that too much air is being pushed through the ports causing extra noise.  With a subwoofer and the cut mode in place this problem goes away.

Luke Kehrwald

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.