ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for light show for band  (Read 10890 times)

John Roll

Suggestions for light show for band
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »

I'm the soundguy for a band who plays small clubs. I'm looking for opinions of my idea for a small light show. Currently,they have two bulky Chauvet Colorado3s on a truss in the back of the stage. They are slowly failing. I want to replace them with some lighter units, I'm thinking of 3 or 4 PAR64 LEDs for back lighting and three PAR38 LEDs up lighting each of the three front men. What is the opinion of LED panels for back lighting vs the PAR 64s?

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:01:54 PM by John Roll »
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

duane massey

Re: Suggestions for light show for band
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »

Depends upon your desired look. Panels, bars, and pars all have different beam patterns, and panel/bars can do some cool "eye-candy" stuff that pars can't do. Personally I prefer using ADJ Mega Bar Pro's, as you can get really cool effects as well a traditional "wash". Need a decent controller to really get your $$ worth.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John Roll

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »

Depends upon your desired look. Panels, bars, and pars all have different beam patterns, and panel/bars can do some cool "eye-candy" stuff that pars can't do. Personally I prefer using ADJ Mega Bar Pro's, as you can get really cool effects as well a traditional "wash". Need a decent controller to really get your $$ worth.

Has anyone used stuff from Stage Ape lighting?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »

Cheap price, cheap quality, cheap copies of better gear with lesser performance, did I say "Cheap?"

Quite often this class of fixture is irritating to program because of the channel assignments and functions. YMMV.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John Roll

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »

Cheap price, cheap quality, cheap copies of better gear with lesser performance, did I say "Cheap?"

Quite often this class of fixture is irritating to program because of the channel assignments and functions. YMMV.

Gotcha', you get what you pay for. any suggestions for who to deal with when I decide to purchase?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »

Gotcha', you get what you pay for. any suggestions for who to deal with when I decide to purchase?
for LEDs;

colorkey
blizzard
microh

are all decent brands...lower end, but reliable and decent products...if you can't find what you're looking for in any of their lines, it probably doesn't get made or is a lot more expensive
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »

ADJ has some great cost-effective choices as well. Whatever brand you look at, make certain you actually talk to the dealer(s) you are considering. Prices posted online are often higher than the price you can negotiate.
Again, make certain you've chosen a good controller; without it you will not get the full value of your fixtures.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:44 PM »

As stated ColorkeyLED along with Chauvet has some pretty good lights. We have purchased and use the 10mm PAR64 from ColorKeyLED with acceptable levels of light and color balance. To get something decent you are going to spend a few hundred on a fixture. This would put you into 1W type units, most likely ok for video shoots too, since the higher priced ones tend to be flicker free. Take a look at the ColorKeyLED line up. The fixtures are built well, compared to some. The Chauvets in their DJ line are good too. If you want something to knock your socks off, the Colorado fixtures are fantastic, but will set you back a bit per fixture. Figure 450-500 per light in the pro realm, and it goes up from there.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

duane massey

Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »

In addition to what Duane said about ADJ,

If you do go with an Elation Show Designer Board

You can go to there website and get "Profiles" for ADJ, Elation and some other brands of lights.

I went with the SD-2 and am still learning the board, It does have a lot of features for a beginner, However I started with simple shows.

Regards,  John

James Babcock

• SR Forums
    • Thevisualtimekeeper
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »

I'm the soundguy for a band who plays small clubs. I'm looking for opinions of my idea for a small light show.

Hey there, my old band used 2-Chauvet 4bars and 2-Chauvet 4plays on stands, controlled through my laptop with Enntec's DMXIS and a Behringer FC1010. Took one evening to set up 10 basic scenes and had the expressions pedals doing strobe speed and dimming. I know the Chauvet stuff is low end, but it was quick to set up at shows, not blazing hot, and did the job. The plan was to get another dozen LED par64's for back lighting and dance floor lighting. The best part for us was the incredible drop in current draw compared to regular Par 64's and 56's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.