ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: extend desktop to TV over ethernet  (Read 9959 times)

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
extend desktop to TV over ethernet
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »

So my work is looking to get rid of the extra cables in the conference room. And I can't see to find a box that does what I'm looking for. (I might have already seen it but the discription didn't sound like it)

We already have TV's in the conference Rooms. They all have VGA connections. I'm looking for a box that will connect to the VGA connection, and have an ethernet connection to connect to the network. Then the company issued laptop would have some sort of software or setting to be able to extend their desktop to this TV through the network to do their presentations.

All i'm finding is a bunch of media streaming options that don't seem to do what I want to do. i see them mention video and audio and all that. but not just plain extended desktop options.

Operating system is XP/7.

Anyone run into a box of sorts that could do this?
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Clark Johnson

Re: extend desktop to TV over ethernet
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »

I think you are looking for a KVM solution.  It's a little bit more bells and whistles than you are looking for, but this might be something for you:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/VGA/Ethernet-to-VGA-over-IP-Converter~IPUSB2VGA

Let me know if you find something that works.  I would be interested.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »

Anyone run into a box of sorts that could do this?

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Wireless-Video-Presentation-System-II/AC1131A

We have used this box. It has both wireless and wired LAN links. (the laptop needs to be on the same access point.) It works fairly well, but may not be advisable if your users are "technophobes".

The box displays a "key" on-screen, so you need to be in the room to read the key and enter it when you connect. This key changes for each session. This is so you don't accidentally connect from a remote location while someone else is using the room. Can also display multiple desktops at once, which is a nice feature. Full video playback is just so-so, but for meetings it works fairly well. We have installed a couple of the units in conference rooms, but find that in general, people still prefer the analog HD15 connection at the wallplate or in the conference table. YMMV!

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »

Have a look at Adobe Connect.  I was on the end of a conference a couple of weeks ago, and as a remote user I had connect which somehow connected me and a bunch of other folk to the conference room.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:50:03 AM by David Buckley »

Simon Conway-Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »

I think you are looking for a KVM solution.  It's a little bit more bells and whistles than you are looking for, but this might be something for you:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/VGA/Ethernet-to-VGA-over-IP-Converter~IPUSB2VGA

Let me know if you find something that works.  I would be interested.

Thank you for pointing this out, I looked at it, and the wireless 11n version which looks even better is the answer to a requirement I've been searching for for ages.

All they need now is to make a full HD version with HDMI output rather than VGA.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber