ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: at what point do you stop caring about your clients?  (Read 5863 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: at what point do you stop caring about your clients?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

"Shut Up and trust the Magic Pixie Dust" isn't exactly the best answer to give to a bunch of contrarian, independent-minded audio techs.  ;)

But that's exactly what d & b, l'Acoustics, EAW and JBL are doing.  And so far, most of the techs I've met aren't capable of *engineering* a system (of any significant sophistication) at the pass band level.  It's not a knee jerk deference to a higher authority, it's an observation after 30 years in the trenches.

That said, if the voicing of the rig is at issue, get them a bunch of EQs, install them with great fanfare and costs... and hardwire them into bypass or don't put them in the signal path.  I've seen both done in installs. Apparently the placebo effect is very strong in contrarian, independent-minded audio techs.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »

"Shut Up and trust the Magic Pixie Dust" isn't exactly the best answer to give to a bunch of contrarian, independent-minded audio techs.  ;)

But that's exactly what d & b, l'Acoustics, EAW and JBL are doing.

Except that's not what they are doing, IMNSHO. It may have started like that be at this date we have at least some information as to what the "Magic Pixie Dust" is doing to the signal. There is a reason EAW et. al. have white papers out about what their stuff does.

Philip

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »

Except that's not what they are doing, IMNSHO. It may have started like that be at this date we have at least some information as to what the "Magic Pixie Dust" is doing to the signal. There is a reason EAW et. al. have white papers out about what their stuff does.

I have a certain amount of experience setting up speakers, and I would not ever consider trying to rewrite the factory presets of a successful system. It is not easy or straight forward. The amount of detail that exists in factory presets is nothing like the old days of having the crossover at FOH so you can change the crossover frequency on a day to day basis. Reading white papers doesn't make me a speaker designer. I'm  speaker user.

Mac

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »

I have a certain amount of experience setting up speakers, and I would not ever consider trying to rewrite the factory presets of a successful system. It is not easy or straight forward. The amount of detail that exists in factory presets is nothing like the old days of having the crossover at FOH so you can change the crossover frequency on a day to day basis. Reading white papers doesn't make me a speaker designer. I'm  speaker user.

Mac

I wish more people understood that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 08:57:01 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.