ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Little "How To" info  (Read 4007 times)

Barry Dunlap

A Little "How To" info
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

Just purchased a Peavey Sanctuary Series 32 channel mixer and a set of Peavey SSE-26 speakers.  Will probably go with two IPR -3000 amps.  Our sanctuary is about 60' long and 45' wide.  So here are my questions:
        1.  What is the best hookup from the mixer to the amps and then from the amps to the speakers?   1/4"  or other?
        2.  Do I need the 3000's or will the 1600 amps be sufficient?
        3.  Presently the system was installed with the amps located in a closet just off the platform instead of in the sound booth.  Should I move
                 the new one to the booth or just put them in the closet?  Any pros or cons on either?

Thanks for your help!!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: A Little "How To" info
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

Just purchased a Peavey Sanctuary Series 32 channel mixer and a set of Peavey SSE-26 speakers.  Will probably go with two IPR -3000 amps.  Our sanctuary is about 60' long and 45' wide.  So here are my questions:
        1.  What is the best hookup from the mixer to the amps and then from the amps to the speakers?   1/4"  or other?
        2.  Do I need the 3000's or will the 1600 amps be sufficient?
        3.  Presently the system was installed with the amps located in a closet just off the platform instead of in the sound booth.  Should I move
                 the new one to the booth or just put them in the closet?  Any pros or cons on either?

Thanks for your help!!

You want to run balanced lines from the mixer to the amps. Therefore you should use STP (shielded twisted pair) for each run with XLR connectors at each end. If the amp offers the option of screw terminals on the inputs, that works fine and saves a few dollars.

Your second question requires some leg work on your part. Please provide specs for the devices in question and we can advise you.

You want the amps as close to the speakers as possible. There is no reason to have them with you at the mix position and the closer they are to the speakers, the less the wire turns the power into heat (wire resistance). Just make sure that the closet doesn't allow the amps to over heat when in use.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: A Little "How To" info
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.