ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are earplugs even enough?  (Read 9851 times)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Re: Are earplugs even enough?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »

it is my understanding that lf information is absorbed through the body's bones, instead of cilia in the ears.

Tom Danly wrote a long post on the old LAB about WWII bomber crew that were exposed to ridiculous LF levels for like a day at a time.  Interesting reading, but I can't seem to find it.  At these levels and frequencies I don't think plugs or muffs matter all that much as the sound is transmitted to your hearing apparatus through the rest of your body anyway.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

I've worked in a refinery for 37 years. I know a little about hearing protection in the real world. We have places where I'm sure it's 140db 24-7. You can scream as loud as you can and the guy standing next to you can't hear anything. At the end of the day, you feel bad from the inside out, not your ears. Fortunately, I don't have to work in areas like that anymore. I believe that the high levels affect your body through more than your ears. Interestingly, the area of the refinery with the highest noise levels have operators with the highest divorce rate.

+1 I spent some time doing gas well production testing, flowing back frac sand at 5000PSI, no amount of hearing protection helps when your whole body is rattling, it definately helps to take frequent breaks from the high sound levels. I don't know how the punters can stand to be infront of the stacks for an entire show  :o
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

I've worked in a refinery for 37 years. I know a little about hearing protection in the real world. We have places where I'm sure it's 140db 24-7. You can scream as loud as you can and the guy standing next to you can't hear anything. At the end of the day, you feel bad from the inside out, not your ears. Fortunately, I don't have to work in areas like that anymore. I believe that the high levels affect your body through more than your ears. Interestingly, the area of the refinery with the highest noise levels have operators with the highest divorce rate.

+1 I spent some time doing gas well production testing, flowing back frac sand at 5000PSI, no amount of hearing protection helps when your whole body is rattling, it definately helps to take frequent breaks from the high sound levels. I don't know how the punters can stand to be infront of the stacks for an entire show  :o

the ear plugs  help your ears, but the sound pressure still negatively affects you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.