ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Maximizers  (Read 21135 times)

John Chiara

Re: Bass Maximizers
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »

If you have a real system, properly set up, they are totally useless. If you have a BS system, they may give you the impression that you are getting a little bit more "boom", but it's somewhat like putting a brown bag over a pig; it's still a pig....

Actually, it's far from useless although I can easily see inexperience operators using it to attempt to compensate for a weak system.   I have yet to use it as an insert.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/335782/35282/0///632/#msg_335782

I just bought 2 more on Ebay for less than $130 each. They work best with reflex boxes. I use it set to near the lowest frequency to attempt to add the impression of an extra 1/2 octave or so on the bottom.
Always helps and in some setups makes an amazing difference in the "heft" of the system. For small wedding and club systems it's a no brainer..IMO. I demo mine to clients and let them push the bypass switch...always generates a similar facial expression. Would be great for reggae setups I would think. I sold my first unit to a reggae bass player for his rig.....he wouldn't sell it back for double the money. YMMV

Tracy Garner

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »

Actually, it's far from useless although I can easily see inexperience operators using it to attempt to compensate for a weak system.   I have yet to use it as an insert.

I just bought 2 more on Ebay for less than $130 each. They work best with reflex boxes. I use it set to near the lowest frequency to attempt to add the impression of an extra 1/2 octave or so on the bottom.
Always helps and in some setups makes an amazing difference in the "heft" of the system. For small wedding and club systems it's a no brainer..IMO. I demo mine to clients and let them push the bypass switch...always generates a similar facial expression. Would be great for reggae setups I would think. I sold my first unit to a reggae bass player for his rig.....he wouldn't sell it back for double the money. YMMV

I've used one in-line out of a DJ mixer into my system. I think it works better than using the comp/limiter solutions some use to try to tame the DJ signal. It also helps when the DJ has a lot of different types of MP3 files and they may not have the control from one song to the next. It appears to bring back some of the bass that is lost with on the low bitrate files.

One of the best bass sounds I "think" I ever heard with bass enhancement was with Burning Spear at 930 club in DC when they were using the EAW System. The guy had one of those SWR bass rigs with that special aural exciter/type sub harmonic synth circuit. It just 'sounded' great. I don't think the raw PA would have produced that sound.

Over the last six months, I've been working completely without it and I don't think my system sounds worse without it. I don't think it sounded better with it - just different.

Jason Bruton

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:17 AM »

How many people use bass maximizers?  I went to a reggae concert a few weeks back and the bass was intense.  They had a bunch of Yorkville LS1208 and it just had a different feel in your face deep attack to it. I have heard LS1208s before but never like this.  Any idea how they achieved this?
Engineer knew what they were doing? But if you need gear, Peavey Kosmos.
Pickles

Jon Geissinger

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

I was under the impression that bass enhancers should not be used with subs in that you could destroy speakers/drivers inadvertantly. My thoughts are I use it when I don't have my sub(s) with me and some low end enhancement is required. I don't overuse it, just us it to tweak.
I build all my own equipment so I don't need to blow anything up!

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »

I was under the impression that bass enhancers should not be used with subs in that you could destroy speakers/drivers inadvertantly. My thoughts are I use it when I don't have my sub(s) with me and some low end enhancement is required. I don't overuse it, just us it to tweak.
I build all my own equipment so I don't need to blow anything up!

You can destroy MF drivers with over-extension just as easily (more easily?) that LF drivers. Also, depending on the type of bass enhancer you use, you may actually decrease the level of extension at a perceived level of output (MaxxBass, for example).

Damage could occur if you overuse a subharmonic synthesizer after your crossover and limiters (or just crank the level), but that's just bad practice.

John Chiara

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »

New report from a real world setup..last week did a small outdoor amphitheater..seats about 800 or so. 4 PAS CB2 subs...4 Community SLS960's. With the Maxxbass dialed in to about 75 of max set on the lowest frequency setting...classic L/R setup....modern country band. Low end was VERY impressive at outdoor concert level. Full and beefy sounding..running on old Carver amps...all on 1 20amp circuit. Hitting bypass changed the whole feel of the system...and not in a satisfying way. Well worth it in these types of situations.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »

The MaxxBass 107 is stereo and I generally run mono. Is there a (cheaper) mono version available?

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:27 AM »

I just ordered a Maxxbass 102 to try; it was $40 plus shipping. The only downside appears to be that it uses RCA connectors:

http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=337
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

John Chiara

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »

I just ordered a Maxxbass 102 to try; it was $40 plus shipping. The only downside appears to be that it uses RCA connectors:

http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=337

RCA and probably -10db..that is a bigger problem without some kind of compensation.

John

Johnny Diaz

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »

New report from a real world setup..last week did a small outdoor amphitheater..seats about 800 or so. 4 PAS CB2 subs...4 Community SLS960's. With the Maxxbass dialed in to about 75 of max set on the lowest frequency setting...classic L/R setup....modern country band. Low end was VERY impressive at outdoor concert level. Full and beefy sounding..running on old Carver amps...all on 1 20amp circuit. Hitting bypass changed the whole feel of the system...and not in a satisfying way. Well worth it in these types of situations.

John,

Did it actually give you more bass or the illusion of it?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.