ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OT some what QSC plate amps  (Read 18929 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: OT some what QSC plate amps
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

Did my last testing with the subs before they go out. Looks to be May 12th for their first gigs.
I found they matched up well with the QSC hpr181i sub. About 22 degrees out of phase at 50hz and around 12 degrees at 80hz.

Combining 1 QSC home built with 1 hpr181i sub I got 6db boost at 80hz and still respectable 4 db boost at 50hz.
The Home brew sub has a steeper low cut filter so this adds to the phase difference. Still I would use the 2 subs together if it was ever needed.

Happy with the project and how well the subs sound. I had for some time thought about getting some Proel subs but these should do as good of a job and for less money invested. Per box I have about $180 in the driver with $225 in the amp/wood/glue etc. About 16 hours in total for both subs. I don't count the labor as I called it hobby time.
So for about $400 dollars I have a pair of 700 watt QSC powered subs that sound good and are not that hard to move around.

They matched up well with my Yorkville EF500ps and the Yamaha MS400s I have.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »

Some friends of mine played last night. They let me try the subs out and mix them.
They have the JBL JRX118sp subs that they normally use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-JRX118SP...item20c5393351

For tops they have the PV 2-15 and horn. I gave the sub and tops a listen. I thought the sub was high cut quite high. Even in the 250hz range or so it was still putting out quite a signal. On the tubby side.
I listened to the tops and felt something was just not right. It sort of sounded ok but the horns were very loud in relation to the lows. I couldn't get the expected level out of either speaker. I looked the speakers over to find a Parts Express 2 way crossover with no cd horn eq had been put in them. Popping a handle off I found a Peavey 22xt driver duct taped to the horns in place of the 14t horn that should be in it. Black widdow speakers were in place at the bottom speaker location. Also as the crossover was just a 2 way someone had run the 2 15s in series.
The crossover did have a horn level knob so I turned it almost off to get a good blend. Set up like this I thought the speaker sounded better. Horns were soft sounding in the highs. I put a high shelving eq starting a 2k with a 6db boost to make up for the missing cd horn eq. This made them sound ok. I used my CS800s amps with built in crossovers to power the tops 100hz and above.

Leaving their subs in place "In case" I put the tops on my subs and did the show. (they made great monitor/amp stands) I'm not a fan of subs on each side of the stage but it put the tops just high enough to get the job done. I had some very large power alleys in the room but everyone was happy with the sound.

The subs;
Subs really did work great. The QSC amp modules never ran more than just warm/cool. The boxes pounded harder than they had before. They moved a fair amount of air for the size. Before I had 800 watts per box but the 700 watts provide by the qsc amps seemed tighter yet as deep. I believe the low cut filter at around 45hz instead of the 40hz I used on the amps for them before may be part of it. Of course the room I used them in comes into play hear as well. To be honest I found a rattle on the bottom where the port is that I never noticed before. They did come alive. I'm sure not having long speaker cable runs also added to the tight sound.

Overall everything worked better than expected. Nice small subs for shows just like this. Had fun

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:43:26 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.