ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Genuine JBL recone kits, where to buy?  (Read 11586 times)

Alan Sledzieski

Need Genuine JBL recone kits, where to buy?
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »

Where can I get real jbl parts from, not the aftermarket kits?

Thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Need Genuine JBL recone kits, where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »

Thanks

JBL does not sell recone kits other than to factory-trained technicians and authorized service centers.  That's why you only find after market kits.

Factory training of technicians involves classroom work and lab work that eventually has the student recone at least one transducer from every "family" of JBL technology, and only after the student turns out recones that meets factory spec has the student passed his exam.

JBL believes that their standards can be met only when they control the training and parts supply.

That all said, give Charlie Tappa at Pro Sound Service in Braintree, Mass. a call.  He or one of his techs will be pleased to discuss reconing of your JBL speaker.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »

Thanks
And to add to what Tim said. If a jbl reconer is caught selling kits they will lose the right to be a jbl reconer. It is not worth the risk
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I have a chance to get a pair of 4733a's with 2 blown 2226's for $ 500 for both box's. Just doing a little thinking on reconing the 2 or replacing all 4 drivers with ciare 15ndh4. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I have a chance to get a pair of 4733a's with 2 blown 2226's for $ 500 for both box's. Just doing a little thinking on reconing the 2 or replacing all 4 drivers with ciare 15ndh4.

Re-cone the 2226s.  The box will have more resale value down the road.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

thomas jones

• NE WI
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

I have 2 Ciare 15ndh4 Speakers I use for bass guitar in 2 cabs. These speakers are exemplary to my ears and have higher spl and go lower than the 2226'2 which I also have. not to mention the neo magnet assy is several pounds lighter. Not to dispute the market value mentioned above, just that I am very pleased with Ciare and will get more as needed.
I came late but I made up for it by leaving early.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »

I have 2 Ciare 15ndh4 Speakers I use for bass guitar in 2 cabs. These speakers are exemplary to my ears and have higher spl and go lower than the 2226'2 which I also have. not to mention the neo magnet assy is several pounds lighter. Not to dispute the market value mentioned above, just that I am very pleased with Ciare and will get more as needed.

Thanks for the info.  Do the ciares have the same honk around 250 - 400hz like the 2226's, Or is it hopefully less pronounced?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:38 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Do the ciares have the same honk around 250 - 400hz like the 2226's, Or is it hopefully less pronounced?
Are these the same specs as the JBLs? If not, then you may end up with useless boxes.
There is much more to replacing drivers than simply matching the diameter, impedance and power rating.
The fact that a speaker works in a guitar rig, where many are open back, doesn't mean it will work well in some other cabinet.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:37:57 AM »

Are these the same specs as the JBLs? If not, then you may end up with useless boxes.
There is much more to replacing drivers than simply matching the diameter, impedance and power rating.
The fact that a speaker works in a guitar rig, where many are open back, doesn't mean it will work well in some other cabinet.

Nowhere near the same spec. I've been running  different speakers through eminance software in this box.  I'm liking the looks of a faital pro 15fx560.  I all ready have 2 of these 15's and can put them in the box and try them.  I ran the ciare, 2 different faitals, and the 2226 and compared the amplitude.  The jbls are louder in the 250-400 hz range then the fx560 or the ciare.  I'm not worried about what the box does under 80-90 hz either, as I will be running subs.

thomas jones

• NE WI
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "honk"... a db rise in that range? The cabs were designed with 2226's but they sure sound good with Ciare.
I came late but I made up for it by leaving early.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.