ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SLS Loudspeakers  (Read 12692 times)

nialle.travnik

Re: SLS Loudspeakers
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the SLS system I've mixed on.  Really clean.  It wasn't line array, but still the ribbon drivers.  Super clean mid and high range, very intelligible, a little lacking in bass response though -- but that would be fixed quite simply by adding a sub.  They were the kind of speakers I actually had to try and make sound bad, and were really easy to have sound good.

As to Company A's comments, the whole "new kid on the block" thing doesn't fly with my -- the aforementioned system is over 10 years old now.  I can't speak to underconstructed, but I've been able to push the dickens out of those speakers (which were still clean and clear as can be) just had to match em to the right amps first.

I'm pretty sure the company pushing the SLS array wants to go with Crest amps, that's all I know there. Thanks for the help everyone.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »

Company A didn't plot, he says it's coming. He's a major consultant in the area with lots of experience, well known of HOW, arena installations and does the rentals for most big acts that roll into town. I trust that he can do this, for now anyway.
If they are proposing selling equipment and doing installation then they are a Dealer and/or Contractor rather than a Consultant.

Going back to the basics, is what matters to you what products are used or is it what the system does?  People may not immediately think that way but for most churches what really matters is how the system works and what it does.  Taking that to the next step, to effectively implement a competitive design/build approach you need to define your needs and goals in sufficient detail and in the same way to all of the bidders.  That information defines what is considered a desired or acceptable result and the basis for the design/build bids.  That information may be very detailed and could include identifying specific equipment preferences, but it should also address issues from a functional and operational aspect, i.e. what uses it should support, any specific performance expectations, the ease of use, etc. (and please avoid identifying performance/functional requirements and specific related equipment unless you have verified that they are compatible, having an Owner specify equipment that may not be able support the overall goals also defined is not a good situation for anyone).  The reason I bring this up is that whether Contractor A's comments are based on concerns over Contractor B's proposed solution meeting some defined goals, based on subjective opinion or based on a misunderstanding of your goals seems an important distinction.

Since I don't have that kind of information or know anything about the space, I can't comment on the proposed solutions.  However, I can easily see that in the absence of defined goals a company that routinely works in arenas and larger tour applications may view everything from that perspective, which may or may not be that applicable to your situation.  And that could easily lead to comments such as those offered.  Whether they are valid or not depends on what was defined in terms of your goals and expectations and if they were not adequately defined then there may be no good way of assessing the comments or what is proposed.  Company A may be saying that what Company B proposed is not a concert tour system, which may be valid but may also reflect their misinterprting your needs and goals.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.