ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PM5D & PM1D - any level of compatibility?  (Read 3528 times)

Phil Hornung

PM5D & PM1D - any level of compatibility?
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »

Hi all,

I did a search on old forums and didn't see anything relating to this.

Wondering if there is any level of compatibility between a PM5D and PM1D. I've only used a PM1D a handful of times and never loaded any file onto one. Have used PM5D extensively.  I'd be taking PM5D data and attempting to load onto PM1D -just to be very clear. I feel pretty certain that a PM5D file would not load directly, but thought maybe input library, effect presets, (things that look quite identical on the two consoles) might work selectively.

Anyone ever attempted this or have any experience? My hopes are not high, but if it is possible it will save me some headaches next week.

Despite how great that new file converter is, PM1D never made the list  :(

Thanks.
Phil

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: PM5D & PM1D - any level of compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »

Wondering if there is any level of compatibility between a PM5D and PM1D.

Sorry, no. The user interface is very similar, but not the file structure. There is offline software available for the PM1D, but it is Windows only, and it is not part of the Studio Manager suite. Because the PM1D is so customizable you will need to know the exact configuration of the console you will be using to get the Editor set up correctly. You need to know what kinds of I/O frames are on what DSP I/Os, and what kind of I/O cards are in the frames. It also helps to know how the system is cabled, whether there are BU cables, or BU DSP etc.

A lot of on site time can be saved with some preproduction with the offline software, but be sure you are not working on the wrong console config.

Mac

Phil Hornung

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »

Thanks Mac,
That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask. I've only used 1D's in awards show type situations where I'm the BE. So the production mixer(s) do all the setup and config and designate me X number of input per my list and a few FX slots and that's it. My best bet I think will be to have my 5D file open on site when I do the prep work before sound check and input the data the old fashioned way - the equivalent of loading the input library stuff anyway. Only 25 inputs - not that bad.

Thanks again.
Phil

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »

Thanks Mac,
That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask. I've only used 1D's in awards show type situations where I'm the BE. So the production mixer(s) do all the setup and config and designate me X number of input per my list and a few FX slots and that's it. My best bet I think will be to have my 5D file open on site when I do the prep work before sound check and input the data the old fashioned way - the equivalent of loading the input library stuff anyway. Only 25 inputs - not that bad.

Thanks again.
Phil

and by the way, pm1d files have to be in the root directory of your Flash card. If you put them in a sub folder created on your computer, you won't be able to access them through the load/save page of the control surface...
Have fun, it's a nice board...

Brad Galvin

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:47:45 PM »

As everyone else has said there is no compatibility. Back in April I had to move a 48 input monitor file with 11 IEM mixes and 2 reverb sends from a 5D file to a 1D because 2 PM5D's wouldn't give me the flexibility (and enough mixes) I needed for this particular show. It sucks, but all in all, I think to do all levels, assign VCAs, EQ (which was minimal based on the ME's file), and do individual panning per mix it took maybe 2.5 hours. That being said I use the 1D and the 5D extensively so I am quick on it. A lot of the simple stuff can be done just like you would on a 5D (i.e. turning on comps and gates, auxes, etc) by using the channel copy functions.

Good luck, but I'm sure you'll find it easy.
Brad Galvin

Freelance Audio Engineer & System Tech

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »

My best bet I think will be to have my 5D file open on site when I do the prep work before sound check and input the data the old fashioned way - the equivalent of loading the input library stuff anyway. Only 25 inputs - not that bad.

Although my OpenMixTools doesn't convert PM1D data (yet?) I recently added a "channel report" option - it will give you human readable reports of the channels used in PM5, M7 and LS9 files, just like the sheets used in analog times...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.