ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will someone please...  (Read 7174 times)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Will someone please...
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

Hello,
   Will someone with a video camera please take on the task of interviewing Mr. Lee Brenkman. The guy, (along with a few others floating around here) has a lot of history, filled with the knowledge of the 1960's and early 1970's Sound systems, Concert happenings, and general who did what with whom (and how).  ;)

When I talk about 80 watt amplifers used to power PA rigs....some of the young guys think I'm senile. 

Thanks for the Father's Day gift!  See you in September. 

Hammer

Disclaimer: I may BE senile.
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Will someone please...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »

Hello,
   Will someone with a video camera please take on the task of interviewing Mr. Lee Brenkman. The guy, (along with a few others floating around here) has a lot of history, filled with the knowledge of the 1960's and early 1970's Sound systems, Concert happenings, and general who did what with whom (and how).  ;)

When I talk about 80 watt amplifers used to power PA rigs....some of the young guys think I'm senile. 

Hammer

+1  I agree there is a lot of history that somwhere needs to be preserved.

A lot of things are simply taken for granted today.  When I started I was using 100 watt amps for the lows and 50 watt amps for the highs.

They did a fine job-for the loudspeakers I was using and the venues that I was playing.  Standard Rock and roll in couple of hundred seat venues.

Unheard of today.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

http://storycorps.org/ 

There just so happens to be a booth in San Francisco, Mr. Brenkman. Just sayin....  ;)

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »

Hello,

Hammer

Here's an article right here about another person with a lot of experience in the beginnings of live audio.

BTW I could shoot you a picture of a 70's era altec amp to prove you aren't senile.  ;D

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:40:47 AM »

Here's an article right here about another person with a lot of experience in the beginnings of live audio.

Stan Miller and I started this journey a couple of years and about 366 miles apart, the distance between Arapahoe County Colorado and Kearney Nebraska.  He was more entrepreneurial and organized and hooked up with one artist who's employed him for over 40 years.

I've served many masters and taken many different paths in that time.

Neither one of us are ready for the "old roadies home" anytime soon  :)

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:47:36 AM »

Stan Miller and I started this journey a couple of years and about 366 miles apart, the distance between Arapahoe County Colorado and Kearney Nebraska.  He was more entrepreneurial and organized and hooked up with one artist who's employed him for over 40 years.

I've served many masters and taken many different paths in that time.

Neither one of us are ready for the "old roadies home" anytime soon  :)

And you both ended up about 465 miles apart in California though I expect the vibe is a bit different.  :)

I got interested in Audio in the mid seventies and am still around Kearney enjoying Tornadoes everywhere yesterday and today..... Ah well I guess we can experience incredible LF generators in either location.  ::)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »

Hello,

Hammer

BTW I could shoot you a picture of a 70's era altec amp to prove you aren't senile.  ;D

Do you have anything from the 60's I might remember? We did the Commodore Ballroom in 1968 with 1200 people, Marshall column PA (100 watt tube), and some very loud amplifiers, but I remiss. Lee's first real gig was portable sound using hollowed out mellons strapped to a dinosaurs ass.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »

Bink has done some good work putting information up on wiki for some notables.

I had a friendship with Rudy Bozak near the end of his life, and tried unsuccessfully to get an audio magazine editor to interview him before he passed away. I very much regret my failure.

Some young punk lurking around here needs to step up and try to document some more anecdotes and musings from guys like Lee with something worth saying and saving for posterity. it doesn't have to be a video, but these days you could just about pull that off with a semi smart phone or computer terminal with camera.   

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »

Do you have anything from the 60's I might remember? We did the Commodore Ballroom in 1968 with 1200 people, Marshall column PA (100 watt tube), and some very loud amplifiers, but I remiss. Lee's first real gig was portable sound using hollowed out mellons strapped to a dinosaurs ass.

I can't claim to be that inventive but I did like to play with animals.  A little young yet for live audio!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

I can't claim to be that inventive but I did like to play with animals.  A little young yet for live audio!

Oh...I see...you're a little rabid from the bite.

Cheers,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »

Oh...I see...you're a little rabid from the bite.

Cheers,
  Hammer

:P  Aren't we all a bit crazy to be doing this?  ;)

Anyway here's a bit of history I can contribute.  Not back to the tube days but may bring back some memories.

P.S Pic 3 is in a seperate post. 

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »

Back....Note the power rating Bob!  :)

Jerry Turnbow

• Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:25:17 AM »

:P  Aren't we all a bit crazy to be doing this?  ;)

Anyway here's a bit of history I can contribute.  Not back to the tube days but may bring back some memories.

P.S Pic 3 is in a seperate post.
I remember working on these in the early '70s when I first got into the pro audio biz, working for a local systems contractor.

Here's a system we put in the Missouri Arena (later the Ralston-Purina "Checkerdome" before it finally succumbed to the demolition crew).  It was all horn-loaded Frasier speakers with various EV, Altec, and other drivers, powered by a whopping 5000 watts of amplification using four racks of Yamaha P2200 amplfiers.  Now my portable rig for weekend band jobs has a single 8000W amp, 2 rack spaces high and twenty-some pounds on the subs, and another on the mids.
Jerry Turnbow
Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »

I remember working on these in the early '70s when I first got into the pro audio biz, working for a local systems contractor.

Here's a system we put in the Missouri Arena (later the Ralston-Purina "Checkerdome" before it finally succumbed to the demolition crew).  It was all horn-loaded Frasier speakers with various EV, Altec, and other drivers, powered by a whopping 5000 watts of amplification using four racks of Yamaha P2200 amplfiers.  Now my portable rig for weekend band jobs has a single 8000W amp, 2 rack spaces high and twenty-some pounds on the subs, and another on the mids.

Jerry,
Was that bolted to the roof structure rather than flown?  It's quite the rig.  Looks to be around 25 ft. on top.  BTW, where's the safety harness's?  ;)  Thanks for the pic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.