ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for QSC PL380 users  (Read 6040 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Question for QSC PL380 users
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »

I have a question for users of PL380 amps.

I have an event coming up where I will be using two PL380s and a PL340.  One of the PL380s will be run at 2 ohms per channel to power four 2X18" subs and the other will power the LF section of four 2X15" cabinets.  The 340 will be run at 8 ohms per channel for the HF drivers of the 2X15" boxes.

I have limiters and processor settings already set for the boxes.

My questions for those that have used their PL380s at 2 ohms per channel.  How has it worked out so far for you.  Have you been happy with the sound of them at 2 ohms?  Did you find yourself running into the amps clip limiter a lot or did they exhibit lots of clean headroom.

Lastly,  How was the current draw at 2 ohms.  The manual states 1/8 power at 19.1 Amps.  Was that similar to your experiences or did you find them to be more or less efficient then that?

This particular event is one in which my guys are doing it and I will not be on location so I want to get as much info as possible prior to the event.

I have tested the PL380 on the subs with a CD and found them to sound pretty punchy but I didn't get to really push it and probably will not have the opportunity to really put it through the paces prior to the event.

Thanks a bunch, Ryan

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
Re: Question for QSC PL380 users
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »

PL380's remind me of Crest 9001's in that they just purr at 2ohms.

They do draw quite a bit.  Are you on wall power or a distro?  I only ever ran them off 30amp circuits myself, so I can't attest to how they do on 20's.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »

My questions for those that have used their PL380s at 2 ohms per channel.  How has it worked out so far for you.  Have you been happy with the sound of them at 2 ohms?  Did you find yourself running into the amps clip limiter a lot or did they exhibit lots of clean headroom.

Lastly,  How was the current draw at 2 ohms.  The manual states 1/8 power at 19.1 Amps.  Was that similar to your experiences or did you find them to be more or less efficient then that?

Thanks a bunch, Ryan

HI Ryan,

I run the 380 with two 4ohm subs per side fairly regularly and have not run into any issues with inadequate headroom or suffering sound quality. I have been known to push it on occasion and it takes quite a bit to get the clip lights lit up. By way of unscientific comparison, I used to use a PL6.0II and that one was easy to clip at 2ohms stereo.
As far as power draw is concerned, I haven't tried that configuration without having ample power to supply the amp. It's on its own 30 amp in a rac-pac which is fed by a 50a 220v, so no power draw issues there. What are you feeding it with?

-Bob
www.soundwizard.biz

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »

Awesome guys! 

Electrical service is not an issue at all.  I will have 150 amps 120/240V available to power both sound and some basic lights.  Each PL380 will be on it's own dedicated 30 amp circuit.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

MARK PAVLETICH

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:48:51 AM »

Awesome guys! 

Electrical service is not an issue at all.  I will have 150 amps 120/240V available to power both sound and some basic lights.  Each PL380 will be on it's own dedicated 30 amp circuit.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

I run a PL380 at 2 ohms driving 4 15 inch lower mids in 2 Yorkville TX8 cabs each side. No problems with this scenario. Don't know about subs at 2 ohms. We are on 230 volts here. The PL380 has some real grunt IMHO. Test bench readings confirm that it easily delivers its rated power.

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »

Give it power and it will run all night no problems.. Enjoy..

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

I run a PL380 in stereo mode to 4 double 18's and it works great!  Even off of a 20 amp circuit!

GREAT AMP!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.