ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing QSC HPR181i with ....?  (Read 8957 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Replacing QSC HPR181i with ....?
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

I have a pair of QSC HPR181i subs and they've been real workhorses for the small stuff I do.  I've occasionally added another pair for larger events.  However, they're heavy at 127 pounds, bulky and they don't go real low (45 @ -3dB).  So, I'm thinking of getting a pair of the QSC KW181s, or JBL VRX918SPs.  Both are smaller and much lighter with more power and will go lower, and both fit within my budget of ~$3,500 shipped.  I will be renting both to see which ones I like better, but I'm interested in opinions from people who use one or the other.  I will be using them under QSC powered tops, either HPR153f, HPR122i or K12s, so the crossover method and frequency is a consideration (VRX has 80 Hz out, QSC has none).

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Replacing QSC HPR181i with ....?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »

I have a pair of QSC HPR181i subs and they've been real workhorses for the small stuff I do.  I've occasionally added another pair for larger events.  However, they're heavy at 127 pounds, bulky and they don't go real low (45 @ -3dB).  So, I'm thinking of getting a pair of the QSC KW181s, or JBL VRX918SPs.  Both are smaller and much lighter with more power and will go lower, and both fit within my budget of ~$3,500 shipped.  I will be renting both to see which ones I like better, but I'm interested in opinions from people who use one or the other.  I will be using them under QSC powered tops, either HPR153f, HPR122i or K12s, so the crossover method and frequency is a consideration (VRX has 80 Hz out, QSC has none).

I don't know if you need the subs as bases for your tops, but it might be worth looking at some of the ultra powered subs, where one might do the duty of a pair of what you have now.

Unfortunately, we are being killed by the exchange rate, but I would check out some of the ADR offerings. The JD21's that Bennett had at the last gearfest were as low, tight, and clean as anything else I have heard.

By the way, I might be interested in a swap for the HPR's if you would want an extra pair of 152's or 153's.
Jay Barracato

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »

I have a pair of K12s over KW181s and am very happy. I would like another pair of the 181s someday. Each of the speakers, tops and subs, has the appropriate HP/LP for themselves so no crossover output is needed in the speaker. I usually run my subs aux fed anyway.
Next up for me is likely some KW tops.
I used HPR181s and the KWs saved me almost 40lbs each which made them very manageable.
I got the covers for them - good investment to protect them.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »

Hello Kirby, did you get a chance to listen to any of the subs yet? Im interested in what you have found.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

I heard the KW with tracks of my choosing and was not impressed.  Neither low nor clean (I did not bother to find out how loud).  Folks seem to be liking the PRX618-XLS (a powered SRX718 as I undertand it), so that might be worth a look.

Rob Truesdell

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:47:16 AM »

I heard the KW with tracks of my choosing and was not impressed.  Neither low nor clean (I did not bother to find out how loud).  Folks seem to be liking the PRX618-XLS (a powered SRX718 as I undertand it), so that might be worth a look.

Thanks Tim

Alexander Bustos

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

Thanks Tim

this is true the kw181 do go lower , and i have both! , i tend to use hpr´s for live acts , (rock show and such)

and the kw181´s for edm

id go passive if i wanted to upgrade , maybe some nice danleys , or montarbo subs

Chris dePaola

• Outdoor Movie Events | AirScreen Inflatable Movie Screen Rentals | Blazing Star Cinema
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »

I really like my pair of PRX618-xlf's, and will be adding two more in a few weeks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.