ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Surge protector  (Read 4839 times)

Rob Swain

Surge protector
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »

I have a little church service to do outside, and the only power will be from a Gas powered Generator What's the best way to protect my equipment. I will not be supplying the Generator so I have no idea as to the Spec's on this unit. Would a Furman M 8x2 power conditioner be good enough protection? ( I don't have a power conditioner at the moment)
Thanks!
Rob

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Surge protector
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »

I have a little church service to do outside, and the only power will be from a Gas powered Generator What's the best way to protect my equipment. I will not be supplying the Generator so I have no idea as to the Spec's on this unit. Would a Furman M 8x2 power conditioner be good enough protection? ( I don't have a power conditioner at the moment)
Thanks!
Rob

A "surge protector" will not clean up dirty power. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »

I have not used the Furman, However it would be helpful to have a "High Quality", Quiet, Honda Generator, (EX-5500) with a "Real" Power Conditioner in your rack (Tripp Lite LCR 2400)(20 Amp). (You are still required to have "Clean" Power)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_conditioner

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tripp+lite+lcr+2400&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Regards,  John

Justin Dodd

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »

Be sure to meter it before plugging in. Youll want to make sure that the amperage rating of the generator is more than your epuipment is pulling.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tripp+lite+lcr+2400&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Regards,  John

Looks like a nice unit, but 3 rack spaces doesn't.

I use the furman ar1215.  I do a few shows that run off generators also. It may be in a park or outdoor event with a supplied generator.  I do a few show with my 15hp 8kw geny also.  With my geny I always had problem with voltage sag.  The govenor on a little briggs and stratton engine just will not keep voltage constant.  I set the no load voltage at 123 volts, by the time the rig is full throttle, and after 100 foot runs of extension cords, voltage would be swinging from 108 to 115.
 I use 3 of the ar 1215's.  One for the band and all my processing and monitor amps. Another for a ca 18, another for 2 crest 8200's.  I can now run this full tilt with voltage sitting very constant. All off the 8kw geny.  Lights are on another unregulated line from the geni.

None of these units do anything for frequency though.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=AR-1215

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »

(Looks like a nice unit, but 3 rack spaces doesn't.)

And it doesn't stop there, The units weigh as much as some amps.

We have 2 of them and they have served us well for the past 5 or 6 years.

The reason I mentioned a "Quiet" generator is that, The louder it is , the further it must be from you, the further away, the longer the cord and more voltage drop.

Regards,  John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:53:01 AM by John Livings »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

Regards,  John

I use the furman ar1215.  I do a few shows that run off generators also. It may be in a park or outdoor event with a supplied generator.  I do a few show with my 15hp 8kw geny also.  With my geny I always had problem with voltage sag.  The govenor on a little briggs and stratton engine just will not keep voltage constant.  I set the no load voltage at 123 volts, by the time the rig is full throttle, and after 100 foot runs of extension cords, voltage would be swinging from 108 to 115.
 I use 3 of the ar 1215's.  One for the band and all my processing and monitor amps. Another for a ca 18, another for 2 crest 8200's.  I can now run this full tilt with voltage sitting very constant. All off the 8kw geny.  Lights are on another unregulated line from the geni.

I also use the AR1215's.....AND the Honda generators.

The 1215 is not a "surge protector", rather it is a line regulator.  Get yourself a Honda.  They're quiet, they have two model lines with inverter power which is about as safe as you can get in a small generator (lets you run "sensitive" gear like computers) and you'll find you'll have plenty of use for it.  When confronted with things like 300' runs of lamp cord or an unmuffled, unregulated generator you can sub in your HOnda and charge for it.

Replacing gear ruined by brown or unregulated power even once will show you what an economical investment a good, small generator is.

But in the end it should be remembered that the proper fix in any situation is to fix it "upstream".  Sure, you can add gear to compensate for whatever is lacking or out of parameters, but going to the source and fixing it there is ALWAYS the best solution.  Get the power source under control.  I realize they haven't told you what it is and you're trying to add a safety net to your gig and that's commendable.  But even if it turns out that it is OK you should still know how to verify that your power is safe.....both for equipment and for yourself and those using your system.

Power issues are serious business.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:28:36 AM by dick rees »

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:24 PM »

I also use the AR1215's.....AND the Honda generators.

The 1215 is not a "surge protector", rather it is a line regulator.  Get yourself a Honda.  They're quiet, they have two model lines with inverter power which is about as safe as you can get in a small generator (lets you run "sensitive" gear like computers) and you'll find you'll have plenty of use for it.  When confronted with things like 300' runs of lamp cord or an unmuffled, unregulated generator you can sub in your HOnda and charge for it.

Replacing gear ruined by brown or unregulated power even once will show you what an economical investment a good, small generator is.

But in the end it should be remembered that the proper fix in any situation is to fix it "upstream".  Sure, you can add gear to compensate for whatever is lacking or out of parameters, but going to the source and fixing it there is ALWAYS the best solution.  Get the power source under control.  I realize they haven't told you what it is and you're trying to add a safety net to your gig and that's commendable.  But even if it turns out that it is OK you should still know how to verify that your power is safe.....both for equipment and for yourself and those using your system.

Power issues are serious business.

Them babies arn't cheap are they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-EU6500is-POWER-INVERTER-GENERATOR-WORKS-GREAT-/180679162117?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item2a11513905

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »

Them babies arn't cheap are they?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-EU6500is-POWER-INVERTER-GENERATOR-WORKS-GREAT-/180679162117?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item2a11513905

Alan, et al...

The OP specified "small church service".  I do these on a Honda 2000ei.  They can be bought for under $1K.  I also have a pair of the 3000's with a yoke kit.  For small fairs I often need to have power at 2 or 3 different spots, so the flexibility works for me.  The yoked 3000's are pretty much equal to the 6500 and around here the requirement for having your electric inspected (which costs money for the permit and the inspection) cuts off at 5KW, so with the pair of 3000's I slide in under the line.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

Alan, et al...

The OP specified "small church service".  I do these on a Honda 2000ei.  They can be bought for under $1K.  I also have a pair of the 3000's with a yoke kit.  For small fairs I often need to have power at 2 or 3 different spots, so the flexibility works for me.  The yoked 3000's are pretty much equal to the 6500 and around here the requirement for having your electric inspected (which costs money for the permit and the inspection) cuts off at 5KW, so with the pair of 3000's I slide in under the line.

Whats a yoke kit?  Somehow it must tie the 2 together?

The reason I went one big genny was 2 fold, run a bigger rig, and power the whole house.  As a electric lineman I can be gone a lot during a storm, needed something for the wife with electric start and that could run the whole house.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.