ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL and Crown System Need Advice Please  (Read 9131 times)

Rob Reda

JBL and Crown System Need Advice Please
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

I have the opportunity to pick up the following:

4-JBL SRX 728's
4-JBL SRX 725's
2-Crown I-Tech 9000 HD Stereo for subs 4ohms
2 Crown I-Tech 5000 HD Stereo for mains 4ohms

For those that have been doing this a while what are you opinions about this? It can be versatile, smaller shows I can just use one set and for larger venues and outside I can use it all. Any advice or thoughts about this would be appreciated. Everything sounds good on paper but with this forum there are many of you that have years of experience with different equipment and know what works and what doesn't. I'm looking for thumping lows and clarity with some head room to spare.

Thank You.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL and Crown System Need Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »

4-JBL SRX 728's
4-JBL SRX 725's

For those that have been doing this a while what are you opinions about this? It can be versatile, smaller shows I can just use one set and for larger venues and outside I can use it all. Any advice or thoughts about this would be appreciated. Everything sounds good on paper but with this forum there are many of you that have years of experience with different equipment and know what works and what doesn't. I'm looking for thumping lows and clarity with some head room to spare.

Thank You.

Before you drop $15,000-$20,000 on this, why not audition it in person?

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with this setup if you do the kinds of gigs *I* would do with it.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »

4-JBL SRX 728's
4-JBL SRX 725's

Thank You.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with this setup if you do the kinds of gigs *I* would do with it.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Yeah, I think you would for happy for the type of gigs Tim would do with it, also.

The nominal 75 degree pattern is a little wide for 2 a side for my tastes indoors, but should be ok outdoors.

The big question that is often overlooked is: Where are you going to get power for the rig?

Every show with the whole rig is going to require a distro and tie in of some sort, especially if this is a portable rig.
Jay Barracato

Tracy Garner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Yeah, I think you would for happy for the type of gigs Tim would do with it, also.

The nominal 75 degree pattern is a little wide for 2 a side for my tastes indoors, but should be ok outdoors.

The big question that is often overlooked is: Where are you going to get power for the rig?

Every show with the whole rig is going to require a distro and tie in of some sort, especially if this is a portable rig.

I run the same speaker setup all the time. For amps I use 2 or 3 refurbed IT8000. I use channel 1 of an amp for bottom and channel 2 on the top.

When I am in a place where I want to get every last bit of energy out of the bottom cabinets, I add the second 8000 and run all of the bottoms at 4 ohms.

I often tilt the inside tops inward when indoors. When 725 is stacked over 2 728, sometimes the tops appear to be too high for the crowd that would be standing right in front of a stage. The highs appear to shoot over the heads of people at that height until you get maybe 10 feet back from them. If I know there will be a bunch of people hanging out in front of a stage I sometime put a set of smaller speakers toward center stage. The stack of 2 over 2 is impressive though.

The setup you spec appears to have more redundancy for the extra cost of the HD series. My ears don't notice the difference in processing between the older IT series and the Itech HD series.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:26:41 PM by Tracy Garner »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:27:15 AM »

4-JBL SRX 728's
4-JBL SRX 725's

Thank You.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Jay,
That's a poor response on your part. I run the exact same rig he's looking at and have no problems powering the system with as little as a pair of 20 amp circuits if needed. And that includes lighting, 4 guitar amplifiers, monitors and anything else I can plug in. I've also run this rig outdoors off of a pair of 20 amp circuits and 100' #12 extension cords and covered over 700 waterbags to 115db at 70 feet without pushing hard on the system. The OP will be very happy with that system to say the least.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:41:46 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »

Jay,
That's a poor response on your part. I run the exact same rig he's looking at and have no problems powering the system with as little as a pair of 20 amp circuits if needed. And that includes lighting, 4 guitar amplifiers, monitors and anything else I can plug in. I've also run this rig outdoors off of a pair of 20 amp circuits and 100' #12 extension cords and covered over 700 waterbags to 115db at 70 feet without pushing hard on the system. The OP will be very happy with that system to say the least.

Ok Bob,

I will concede to your direct experience, I believe based on past posts that you can make this do a lot with very little power. The key will be knowing how hard it can be pushed., and that will come with experience and owning the gear. I am a believer that not every system needs to be run full tilt all the time.

Still, I would not call it a bad response. Power should be considered before the purchase. I was not offering it as a reason NOT to buy the system. I was offering it as a factor that must be considered in the cost of running the system. This is like giving advice not to buy a car you can't afford to insure or maintain. I have known of several systems that were bought and then never/rarely used because in the local market adequate power was not readily available. The fact that this rig could be easily split in half is actually a positive factor in the power equation.

My comments about power really should hold true for any rig of this size regardless of the brand of speaker or amp.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:15 AM »

Jay,

Ok Bob,

I will concede to your direct experience, I believe based on past posts that you can make this do a lot with very little power. The key will be knowing how hard it can be pushed., and that will come with experience and owning the gear. I am a believer that not every system needs to be run full tilt all the time.

Still, I would not call it a bad response. Power should be considered before the purchase. I was not offering it as a reason NOT to buy the system. I was offering it as a factor that must be considered in the cost of running the system. This is like giving advice not to buy a car you can't afford to insure or maintain. I have known of several systems that were bought and then never/rarely used because in the local market adequate power was not readily available. The fact that this rig could be easily split in half is actually a positive factor in the power equation.

My comments about power really should hold true for any rig of this size regardless of the brand of speaker or amp.

Jay,
I agree with your statements above. My intent is to point out your first statement which would leave anyone not familiar with a system of this type or size left with the impression a distro and 50amp circuits are a requirement. You and I would know better, but with the influx of newbies to the board it's best to be more specific for their sakes.  :D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Luke Landis

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »

Great rig if you never have to hang anything. Run half of it for smaller shows. Ive run just one stack in a long narrow room as well. Not ideal but useable.

The itech is amazing as far as power needs, and processing power.

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »

Simple and clean, IF the price is right.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Randall Hyde

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »

4-JBL SRX 728's
4-JBL SRX 725's

Thank You.
I'm currently running a very similar system.
(4) 728s subs, (4) 725 tops, (2) ITech 8000 amps for the subs, (4) bridged XTi 4000 amps for the tops.
Services 1,500-2,000 outdoors real nice (rock show). I'm adding two more 725 columns as delay stacks and a couple more 728s cabs (linear array in front of the stage with six 728s cabs) to try and boost things up to 3,000 people this summer. Also trying (budget allowing) to switch to all IT8000 amps (six total).
The subs work fantastic as long as you stack them all together (i.e., don't put a pair of them on each side of the stage).

I'm using a DR260 because I'm too lazy to figure out how to program each of the individual amps to do the same type of stuff, but I'll probably start using the amp's DSP on the delay stacks.

Anything below $1,000 each on the 728s cabs is a good price, assuming they're in great shape (I can get them for around $1,300 new from GC).
Anything below $1,300-$1,400 for the 725 cabs is a good price, assuming they're in great shape (I bought mine new for around $1,500-$1,600 from GC).
IT8000 amps, used or reconditioned, seem to go for around $1,700-$1,800 these days. So factor that into your price.

Just be aware, that sound system is going to be a two-person setup and strike with those 728s cabs.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »

Anything below $1,000 each on the 728s cabs is a good price, assuming they're in great shape (I can get them for around $1,300 new from GC).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

I bought two SRX728s last June for $500.00 each... great deal, except for the fact they turned out to be the exact same two that were stolen with my trailer two months previously. Alas, if only my dad had recognized that and phoned the police instead of giving the guy the cash. *chalk up to lesson learned*

-Ray Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Randall Hyde

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

I bought two SRX728s last June for $500.00 each... great deal, except for the fact they turned out to be the exact same two that were stolen with my trailer two months previously. Alas, if only my dad had recognized that and phoned the police instead of giving the guy the cash. *chalk up to lesson learned*

-Ray Aberle
Ouch! OTOH, probably the cheapest way to replace them; and you know how the previous owner used them!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.