ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recentering pole pieces  (Read 3634 times)

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
Recentering pole pieces
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any luck recentering a pole piece?
This is from a Tannoy I12 that got dropped. Buying a new one and getting it sent from the UK to Aus involves selling a kidney, so I'm willing to try any alternatives!
Cheers,
Darren

Darren Scaresbrook

Re: Recentering pole pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:53:35 AM »

An update.
Upon further investigation, it is actually the metal plate that has moved! The glue has let go, allowing the plate to slide on top of the magnet.
I've got the plate off from the magnet and I will clean both surfaces. I'm hoping that with some very strong glue, judicious placement, and a new diaphragm, I may get it going.
Darren

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:23 AM »

An update.
Upon further investigation, it is actually the metal plate that has moved! The glue has let go, allowing the plate to slide on top of the magnet.
I've got the plate off from the magnet and I will clean both surfaces. I'm hoping that with some very strong glue, judicious placement, and a new diaphragm, I may get it going.
Darren

Hi Darren, would you believe I did that repair on a Nexo PS 15 bass driver  last week .... give me a call or drop in next time you're down my way.

Peter

paul bell

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »

That's called a shifted magnet. The adhesive between the front plate and the ferrite has let go allowing the plate to slide. Normally, this locks the voice coil in place.

It's cause can be a bad batch of adhesive or a hard knock or dropping/banging the cabinet around. This glue joint holds the entire weight of the ferrite and back plate/pole piece.

The normal repair of this is to return it to it's maker. They can de-magnetize it, re-glue the plate and magnetize it again.

It's often not worth the hassle so the maker will scrap it and send you a new one. Most manufacturers will warranty this-within reason.

Darren Scaresbrook

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »

Hi Darren, would you believe I did that repair on a Nexo PS 15 bass driver  last week .... give me a call or drop in next time you're down my way.

Peter
Thats a coincidence. Either that or we are both hiring the same "butter fingers" crew ::)
Iv'e had a similar problem on a 12" driver before(also dropped), and I was able to get it deguassed, re-centred and then remagnetised again. Anyway, I have reglued this one and will give it a good few days to cure before I can get to give it a try.
Off topic, next time you have the ux8800 powered up can you see if it has gunness settings for the jf260?
Cheers,
Darren

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »

Off topic, next time you have the ux8800 powered up can you see if it has gunness settings for the jf260?
Cheers,
Darren

I don't think there is ... JF26 yes, JFX260 yes ...JF260 no.

http://www.eaw.com/Info/EAW/Wizards_Software/UX8800%20Greyboxes%20release%20history.txt

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/542343/0/#msg_542343

Peter

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:12:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.