ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's start the "definitive 01v96 tablet mixing guide"  (Read 12577 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Let's start the "definitive 01v96 tablet mixing guide"
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »

Alright, as my first post to the new forums I want to initiate a discussion on using a tablet with the 01v96. How are you doing it? Is it reliable? How have you racked your components?

I don't intend for this to be a "how to get started" thread. Those are numerous on the old LAB. What I'm interested in is the specific hardware being used, typical range for the tablet, how is it configured, and do you ever experience problems with the tablet, or desk locking up due to dropouts.

The laptop I was using for my desk was stolen recently so  I am looking to replace it. I want to build a very specific system just for this console. I want the local gear to live in the rack with the console, and be "automatic". That is, when I set up for a gig, I want to power up the desk/local wireless and be able to pull out my tablet and go with a minimum of PC fiddling to get started. My thought is that there are three ways to accomplish this.

1: Attach a local laptop and VNC to it from the tablet. This is my least favorite. Both for the redundant (and easily stolen) gear, and the sluggishness of VNC.

2: Have a mini PC racked up under the desk. This PC would auto launch SM upon powerup and act as the host computer. Use VNC on tablet to control the mini PC. This has the advantange of being able to run SM locally when you don't need the tablet. Add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and you have a nice little desk that feels a little more like that SC48 than the entry level digital that it is. On the negative side, you are still using two computers to do the job of one, and you still have the sluggishness of VNC.

3: Use a USB over Wireless link like the Silex unit. I feel like this is the way everyone wants to go, but the problems of USB over wireless make this a no-go for mission-critical tablet mixing. Advantages; Speed, simplicity, and only one computer. Disadvantage, poor reliability.

4: Is one I've thought about but have no practical knowledge on. Midi. SM can be used over MIDI to control the desk. There are numerous wireless MIDI products on the market. Can this be integrated into a live mixing setup? Is it reliable? If so, Midi could be used to control a number of items that would make our lives easier.

So there you go. Let's discuss what works for you, and what problems you've encountered on your search for a budget wireless FOH. How have you packaged your items, and how easy and fast is it to get up and running at a gig?

-=Tim=-
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke Landis

Re: Let's start the "definitive 01v96 tablet mixing guide"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »

Bumping this as I want to get into tablet mixing with my 01V96 as well. Not every show, but a few that are FOH location chalenged.

Is the Silex option that bad?

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »

Bumping this as I want to get into tablet mixing with my 01V96 as well. Not every show, but a few that are FOH location chalenged.

Is the Silex option that bad?

I know for my LS9 I can plug MIDI I/O into an interface and into a computer, then I can access the MIDI ports in SM and control as if the network port was plugged in.

I would be interested if this product could be used: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MidAir.html

Another option is ethernet to a mac mini in the rack, then wireless MIDI from the mac mini to your tablet. Or a wireless connection between the MM and your tablet.

I currently run ethernet into a rack PC, then ethernet out of the rack pc to an access point. I put the gateway for the tablet and the LS9 as the access point and bridge the connections on the rack PC. Otherwise I put the access point into the LS9 direct, gateway the same as normal.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »

I've been doing this for at least 10 years in one form or another.  I have alway connected to a host computer at FOH via a remote application.  Microsoft Remote Desktop has always work the best of any of the apps I have tried.  I also use a wireless access point set up as a repeater at FOH to increase my range.  I have gone several hundred feet without an issue.  I choose to use a host computer at foh for several reasons:
1. Most importantly to me, if I lose connection I only have to re-establish the wireless connection and restart Remote Desktop and not have to worry about restarting Studio Manager, or any other control software I might be using (I am heavily invested in the first generation of driveracks so usually have driveware up as well).  Using Remote Desktop, I have not experienced any problematic delay (least not since I stop using an Ipac).  I think that any delay has more to do with processing power then anything else.
2. I find that especially with the 01v96, that the consoles are much easier to use with Studio Manager up on a screen. If I'm running back and forth to FOH for some reason I don't have to haul the tablet around with me. (jump off a stage, tablet flies from your grasp, smash...been there done that)
3.  I always have a back up computer with me.
4. It allows me to use my 19" rackmount touch screen monitor at FOH.
5. Now, with the increasing availablity of products like the Ipad, if I chose to forgo #3,
I can lock down the computer a FOH and be running around with a much more "expendible" piece of hardware then say a $2000.00 motion computing tablet.  I don't really expect to see a whole bunch of less expensive full featured tablet computers appearing in the near future.  I think that the trend will be toward Ipad type of devices that will expand their capabilites using cloud computing rather then thru more powerful processing capablities and I'm not sure that true full featured standalone apps will be available for many pro audio applications. Yet with a remote app, I can pretty much access any feature in any program I wish to from such a device.
Using a host computer at FOH has always worked for me as well as I could expect
it to with everything from 01v/96s to PM5ds, as well as with a whole host of other control software.

Doug.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »

Hi Tim,

With the 01V96s I'm still using an Icron USB-2 extender, either over Cat5 or FiberOptic. 

I have a convertible Thinkpad X41 Tablet that works well.
12.1" IPS screen is better than the little tablets.

Any discussion of 01V96s and remote operation needs to note Andy Broughton's SendsOnFaders software.
Really great for monitors from FOH, aux-fed subs, etc.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Luke Landis

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »

At Home, for testing...

01V96 to Belkin powered USB hub to Cat 5 to cheap Laptop.

Seems to work great, and I did 40min of prep for this weekend with out a glitch. Next step is to add a wireless router at the USB hub. I may set up with the mixer on stage, and run 80' of Cat 5 to FOH instead of the snake for this weekend as a test..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:31:28 PM by Luke Landis »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »

Next step is to add a wireless router at the USB hub.
Don't forget to add security to your wireless. If you can, after getting it all working, turn off SSID broadcast. You don't need the punters trying to check facebook on your network during a show.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »

I know for my LS9 I can plug MIDI I/O into an interface and into a computer, then I can access the MIDI ports in SM and control as if the network port was plugged in.

I'd love to see this happen, but I'm not able to get it to work here.
I select my M-Audio Midisport Uno in Studio Manager's Setup window,
and again in the LS9 editor System Setup window.
On the LS9, I have MIDI Control Changes and Program Changes disabled,
and Parameter Changes enabled. Studio Manager won't go Online.
If I move an LS9 fader, Studio Manager goes online briefly, and everything works,
but after seconds it quits again.

What operating system and interface are you using?
Some setting I'm missing?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »

O1V96: Ye ole D-Link DIR-655 as per http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/553332/57579/0///255/#msg_553332

LS9: Why via MIDI, when wireless Ethernet is so easy?

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »

LS9: Why via MIDI, when wireless Ethernet is so easy?
If I can Studio Manager the LS9 via MIDI, I can StageMix it from my iPad at the same time.

The opposite works with different apps. I run Stereoscope via MIDI and Studio Manager via ethernet concurrently, controlling the same mixer.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.