ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's start the "definitive 01v96 tablet mixing guide"  (Read 12575 times)

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
Re: Let's start the "definitive 01v96 tablet mixing guide"
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »

Whilst we're bringing it up to date - Yamaha please release an Android version of Studio Manager - Thanks A.User

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »

Yes but then every time I want to switch networks on my laptop I have to go in and change network settings if I run it in the normal static address way. I only have to set the router ONCE in order to make it so I never have to change another network setting again. As I mentioned and is probably quite evident, network speed is not a problem when running the DHCP server..............

OSX has a network location service, I think Windows does also. Just change your location to 'gig' and you'll get the static address. Change it back to home and you are under DHCP.
Mark McFarlane

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

Yes but then every time I want to switch networks on my laptop I have to go in and change network settings if I run it in the normal static address way. I only have to set the router ONCE in order to make it so I never have to change another network setting again. As I mentioned and is probably quite evident, network speed is not a problem when running the DHCP server..............
Network speed may not be an issue, but the speed at which the router part of the WAP handles buffers will be affected.  The DHCP server takes resources away from the other functions within the device, but what do I know?  I only ran carrier class networks for years (and hold a CCIE).  YMMV, or not.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »

Luke,

I just read my post, and it seemed a little harsh.  I did not mean it that way.  Allow me to clarify.  WAP/routers can run DHCP - they are designed to do so; however, there will be a performance hit.  I am of the truely "keep it simple" camp.  My production IT equipment (PCs, iStuff, WAPs, routers, and switches) is dedicated to its task.  I disable ALL unnecessary services on all devices.  Production devices never (if at all possible) connect to the Internet.  Updates are handled by downloading on other computers and then moved to the device in question.  All of this may seem like overkill, but I've developed this strategy over years of experience.  Keeping these devices as lean and mean as possible means that they work efficiently at all times, and I rarely have any issues (barring hardware failures).  Shared devices have shared risks, and I am risk-adverse.  I realize that many at the Lounge level don't have the financial resources to avoid sharing devices between personal and professional use, but they should strive to do so.  It makes life much easier.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »

I'm not arguing your truths at all. Your are very much correct. But for actual simplicity When using a devise that will be both used for personal and work, my above mentioned set up is the way to go. Most of us are probably in that category and I would guess many higher up would be too. Not all of us are IT guys and don't have five laptops sitting around? I'm not one either. I just know enough to get me into trouble : )    I don't like bringing three laptops and an Ipad to a gig. The more devises you bring, the higher the risk is that one won't be coming back. For all intents and purposes the method I mention is the desired approach for IPAD users that run LS9's and M7's. As for the others it's not really needed, but is an option.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.