ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 Research - Why do you use 58's?  (Read 21105 times)

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: SM58 Research - Why do you use 58's?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »

How often does it happen that the performer has a SM58 in hand as a prop... but the real sound is from something else like a hairline mic (or, heaven forbid, a prerecorded track)?

I remember watching The Statler Brothers Show and noticing that when they sang, they were using wireless handheld mics (don't remember the brand) but when they'd stop singing and talk, the mics were at their sides and you could hear them just fine.

Hello Jonathon,

It could have been that they were just props and that their tracks were recorded and lipsync'd ...or....they may have actually used the mics for their performance, but then were picked up by a fisher studio boom with a shotgun mic....

cheers,
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »

How often does it happen that the performer has a SM58 in hand as a prop... but the real sound is from something else like a hairline mic (or, heaven forbid, a prerecorded track)?

I remember watching The Statler Brothers Show and noticing that when they sang, they were using wireless handheld mics (don't remember the brand) but when they'd stop singing and talk, the mics were at their sides and you could hear them just fine.

Hello Jonathon,

It could have been that they were just props and that their tracks were recorded and lipsync'd ...or....they may have actually used the mics for their performance, but then were picked up by a fisher studio boom with a shotgun mic....

cheers,
   Hammer

Could be... but I seem to recall there was a "live studio audience." But they see a whole lot more than the camera does.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »

Hello Jonathon,

cheers,
   Hammer

Could be... but I seem to recall there was a "live studio audience." But they see a whole lot more than the camera does.

Hello Jonathon,

Lip Sync'n for a "live studio audience" in a recorded television show does not hold the same taboo as a Lip Sync'd Artist performing for a  ticketed Concert.

In television,  it's very common for having multiple re-takes, and "live studio audience" is not the same as a show being billed as "recorded Live"

Cheers,
 Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

The Shure 565SD. It was the predecessor to the SM58, and was used extensively on stage at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Bill Hanley, the man in charge of the audio at Woodstock, and a lot of other high-profile events of the period would A/B the 565 with other popular mics of the day (often Electro-Voice mics, which were popular with broadcasters at that time) for non-believers and anyone else who cared to listen.

You seem to have the history of the 58 down pat.  Could you point me to a couple books or websites that have a good history?  I'm not finding anything comprehensive in my search of the campus library.

I once had the good fortune to have lunch with Bill Hanley and two Shure factory rep dudes.

Mr. Hanley is a very personable guy, and really seems to enjoy talking about his past exploits. The Shure guys were very interested in the answers Bill had to their questions. I was the proverbial "fly on the wall".

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, you can observe a lot by just watching.

Bill Hanley's website certainly has a lot of '"cultural" stuff on it. Maybe look around there.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.