ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 Research - Why do you use 58's?  (Read 20993 times)

Tim Kerbavaz

SM58 Research - Why do you use 58's?
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:03:45 AM »

I am writing a paper on the Shure SM58, and I'd like to have some real-world perspectives on the microphone and its impact on the live sound industry.  The Shure SM58 is the most widely used live vocal mic in the world, and I'm trying to get a sense of why that is, and how it is used by real world sound engineers.

Would you be willing to take a few minutes to answer some questions about your experiences with the SM58?

These responses will be used in a research paper for a Technocultural Studies class at UC Davis. If you do not want your response included in the paper, please indicate that in your post.

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why, in your opinion, is the SM58 so popular? Is its popularity merited?

Under what circumstances did you use an SM58 for the first time? When was that?

Do you use SM58's regularly? When do you choose the SM58 over other mics? Why?

When would you use a different vocal microphone?  What mic would that be? Why?

Has the SM58 had an impact on your sound career? On live sound in general?

If the SM58 did not exist, what microphone would be the standard for live vocals? Why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: SM58 Research - Why do you use 58's?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »

I am writing a paper on the Shure SM58, and I'd like to have some real-world perspectives on the microphone and its impact on the live sound industry.  The Shure SM58 is the most widely used live vocal mic in the world, and I'm trying to get a sense of why that is, and how it is used by real world sound engineers.

Would you be willing to take a few minutes to answer some questions about your experiences with the SM58?

These responses will be used in a research paper for a Technocultural Studies class at UC Davis. If you do not want your response included in the paper, please indicate that in your post.

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the SM58 did not exist, what microphone would be the standard for live vocals? Why?

Hello. My name is Al and I haven't used an SM58 for 3 months.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »

I tried to get away from 58's but they dragged me back!  Have 12 of them at the moment.

Reasons....
- There are something like 83 thousand bazillion of them out there and all but 3 of them still work
(The cable is bad on 2 of those 3 and Rodger Daltrey took care of the other one)
- Anyone who can EQ one or more mics correctly, can set the EQ on a 58 (even if they don't like 58's)
- No one looks at a 58 and says "What mic is that, is it any good?"
- Bono, and a bunch of other people you haven't heard of, use them.
- They don't cost much.
- They say Shure on them

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

Hello. My name is Al and I haven't used an SM58 for 3 months.

Right now the only 58 I handle is the backup talkback mic packed in the drawer with my board. And that handling is usually to move it out of the way when looking for something else.
Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

Why, in your opinion, is the SM58 so popular?
It is an industry standard. In the early days it was one that worked, or users we able to make it work successfully (manage feedback, get a decent sound, etc). Over time it fed on it's own success where being a known entity, experienced users wanted to use it again rather than have to solve those problems over again with an unknown mic, and inexperienced users, wanted to try it because they saw it being used in performances.
Is its popularity merited?
Shure has done a good job managing that gift that keeps on giving. It is no accident it remains popular.

Just about every major mic manufacturer has made a run at it. Making a better mic, means you have to switch the users to a "different" mic. Trying to make it the same but cheaper, is difficult because Shure has not been so greedy with margins, to make them easy to under cut. Shure has been very aggressive about managing their manufacturing cost.  Finally Shure provides low cost repairs, to reduce opportunity for people to even consider using something different when they wear out. 

I never used one.

n.a.

When other mics are available free.
Has the SM58 had an impact on your sound career?
No.
On live sound in general?
Shure.  8)

Something else.

Shure has enjoyed a vaguely similar success with phono cartridges, with perhaps an even more profitable model, before that technology expired. This kind of business success does not happen by accident, but likewise does not happen just because you want it to, it takes a convergence of opportunity and execution. 

It seems this should be more of a business case study that "technocultural" study whatever that means. At least the other mic manufacturers might want to read your paper.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tony Martin

• Sudbury, On, Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »

Well, alright.

Thank you for your time.
You're welcome.

It sounds decent, you can get fairly good gain before feedback, they can take a beating and still keep sounding decent.

Back around '78, in a bar.

Yes.
When there is nothing noticeably better available, or when I think the mic may get dropped or kicked around.
Because most other mics will not take the physical abuse.

Beyer springs to mind. AKG makes several wonderful sounding vocal mics. I am sure there are a host of great vocal mics that I've never tried, so I cannot give a definitive answer, except to say that a Beyer I once owned sounded simply amazing, almost like someone had switched on an Aphex Aural Exciter.

Chuckle.....I don't know how much impact they've had on my career, but several of my 58's have had some pretty serious impacts on floors, chairs, etc, and they are still working.
I guess their impact on my career would be they've saved me money by not having to be replaced every time they get dropped.

I'm pretty sure nothing by Radio Shack would be in the running for top spot....

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »

I tried to get away from 58's but they dragged me back!  Have 12 of them at the moment.

Reasons....
- There are something like 83 thousand bazillion of them out there and all but 3 of them still work
(The cable is bad on 2 of those 3 and Rodger Daltrey took care of the other one)
- Anyone who can EQ one or more mics correctly, can set the EQ on a 58 (even if they don't like 58's)
- No one looks at a 58 and says "What mic is that, is it any good?"
- Bono, and a bunch of other people you haven't heard of, use them.
- They don't cost much.
- They say Shure on them

And that's why I still carry a half dozen even though all of my mics say Heil on them now. You still need mics for waterbags and the village idiot.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

And that's why I still carry a half dozen even though all of my mics say Heil on them now. You still need mics for waterbags and the village idiot.

Oh, goody!!!  Now we can have a "best village idiot mic" thread to rival the "best kick drum mic" thread.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »

First use of a 58....church gig 15 years ago. They had 12 of them cause they were relatively inexpensive, easily available, and virtually indestructible. The mic wasn't the weakest link in that signal chain so I didn't complain.

I keep 10 or so scattered around our university. They get used regularly for conferencing clients who just need a simple mic on a stand or may or may not take care of my "good" mics. The 58s also see use at many student activities where I am not immediately supervising the event and suspect the mics may be abused. I also keep a couple in the mic box cause once in a while I get group thru here that specifically asks for 58s cause they are familiar with that sound. Most of my bigger event clients get the "good" mics though, as I prefer other options.

Impact on my career? Not that I can think of. It's just not that great of a mic. On live sound in general? I don't know if it's much of an impact, but I can't think of any other single product in the industry that has been around as consistently for as long as the 58. That's got to be worth something.....

I don't think there is a "standard" mic for anything, the 58 is more of a least common denominator. Everyone here is going to have their favorite vocal mic. The only reason it might be considered a standard is cause Shure's marketing machine has sold about 4 quintillion of the things to every dive bar, church, school, and karaoke joint in the world. By the same logic the Big Mac is a standard hamburger. Actually there's lots of parallels there..... :-\ Because each vocalist is so different I don't know that there is, or would be, a standard solution.

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »

The word ubiquitous comes to mind.

Short story:

I got called in to mix a gig that someone else had flaked on, and the first band was already set by the time I had got there. Total of 17 mics for a small community benefit concert in a park. All of them were SM58's.  :o

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kerbavaz

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.